Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

When do you start buying maternity clothes?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 19 Replies

With my third daughter, I began showing really early. The doctor said that it was because it was a third pregnancy and the muscles were already stretched. 

I'm only 5 weeks and 2 days, but the bloating is already uncomfortable. I unbutton my pants for the drive home from work to get some relief! It isn't like I'm showing, but more like the uncomfortable bloating that used to come with af. I'd like to buy a maternity band just for the comfort of it. I'd also like to buy some of the maternity items that I notice are always on the clearance rack at Target. Is it too soon to start stocking up on inexpensive items that I will need later? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4weeman
by Savana on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Go for it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I didn't buy till 28 weeks I just went and got a belly band to not waste money on clothes I wouldn't need for a longgggg time I wore my clothes till then

Belly bands are everywhere and 14-19 bucks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not too soon girl. This is my 3rd too and the bloat sometimes is unbearable.

Latvia
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM

i don't think it's too soon! if you are uncomfortable - goo for it!

but don't you have stuff from other pregnancies? This is baby #3 for me as well, and i have waaaaaaaaay too much stuff to buy ANYTHING this time around...

3kidz123
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I'm 9 weeks 5 days and yesterday I caved in and bought maternity clothes. It's not that I have a huge pregnant belly, but I'm in that "fat phase" were my clothes are getting to small but I don't have a bump really so I just feel gross looking. I hate feeling like that at work so I bought maternity clothes to accomidate my growing area's while making me look cute and not fat. I only bought clothes for work, at home I still wear yoga pants, pj's, and bigger shirts...but at work I have to fress up!

3kidz123
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Plus maternity clothes have changed so much! There are so many you can  wear starting in your first trimester and they don't look to big or silly! Raunched side tops are great, and theres a ton of dress maternity pants that look just like regular pants but they have the pregnant belly part so that as you grow they don't dig into you. If I were you I'd go check out a few stores and find some good first trimester clothes that will "grow with you". Even at 5 weeks your only going to get bigger so I don't see the harm in buying something that fits now and in 5 more weeks :)

Burlington coat factory has cute and cheap tops...and motherhood maternity has (did yesterday but I think it's still going on) were you get 30% of certain items! I got 2 paird of dress pants for $30 there yesterday and they are sooo cute and comfy even only at 9 weeks! At Burlington I paid between $7-$10 for each really cute top!

MommyAddie
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this
I just had my daughter last summer so I still have some things I can wear once I'm showing in a few weeks. Last week I bought a velour maternity sweatsuit and I'll have to start shopping sooner or later because I'm going to be pregnant in opposite seasons this time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2585
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM

This is actually a long-awaited baby #4. With baby number 3, I started showing way early, so I think this time will be similiar. My youngest daughter is now almost eight-years-old, so we've given away everything through the years. I kept some of the baby stuff (exersaucer, bouncy seat, play gym, baby gates, carseat, changing table, bed, etc.) until we moved across the country this past summer, and I gave it all away!! We're starting from scratch with this one. :)

Quoting Latvia:

i don't think it's too soon! if you are uncomfortable - goo for it!

but don't you have stuff from other pregnancies? This is baby #3 for me as well, and i have waaaaaaaaay too much stuff to buy ANYTHING this time around...

CafeMom Tickers
mommy2585
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to check out motherhood maternity and Burlington when I have enough energy to brave a mall. :)

I have to look professional at work, too, but at home I've been wearing DH's PJs and sweatpants. :)

Quoting 3kidz123:

Plus maternity clothes have changed so much! There are so many you can  wear starting in your first trimester and they don't look to big or silly! Raunched side tops are great, and theres a ton of dress maternity pants that look just like regular pants but they have the pregnant belly part so that as you grow they don't dig into you. If I were you I'd go check out a few stores and find some good first trimester clothes that will "grow with you". Even at 5 weeks your only going to get bigger so I don't see the harm in buying something that fits now and in 5 more weeks :)

Burlington coat factory has cute and cheap tops...and motherhood maternity has (did yesterday but I think it's still going on) were you get 30% of certain items! I got 2 paird of dress pants for $30 there yesterday and they are sooo cute and comfy even only at 9 weeks! At Burlington I paid between $7-$10 for each really cute top!

CafeMom Tickers
mommy2585
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM

This is what I'm talking about. I'm just so ridiculously bloated!! (And I'm wearing DH's sweatpants that swallow me. lol) I can't believe that I'm already having trouble buttoning my pants.... 

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)