Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Zolfot, Topamax and TTC...

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:28 AM
  • 16 Replies

Do either of you take either of those and have you experienced any problems? 

I have been taking Zoloft for years but I wasn't taking it either time that I got PG before. The online stuff says no problems and that it's ok to take after getting PG but I know that sometimes they aren't all that forthcoming about the sideeffects. 

I take the Topamax (Topimirate) for migraines. It's an anti-seziure medication which also claims no fertility problems but it causes all kinds of other issues, like sever weight loss (ain't complaining there) and mood swings. I don't want to take myself off it if I don't need to. 

Thanks ladies! 

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaybri2012
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:16 AM
I've been on Zoloft for 7 years now, through one pregnancy and now pregnant with another. It was fine for me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sprinkles9112
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I'm going to my doc tomorrow to discuss antidepressants. I've been on Wellbutrin, but stopped in February when I thought I might be pregnant. Now I'm going tomorrow to get started on something more baby-friendly. In talking to my mom (nurse practitioner) she has said that Zoloft and Prozac are usually safe at the beginning of pregnancy.  I don't think they interfere with getting pregnant. 

Not sure about Topamax. I've never heard of it causing issues. You could call and talk to your doctor though. I know I wouldn't quit my migraine meds if I didn't have to. LOL GL

Bookoholic
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM
My migranes went away when I was pregnant so there is a possibility pregnancy could help them. Other then that I would talk to your Dr when you get to that point.
cashgirl88
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I have taken Topamax for migraines too I remember there bein a warning about taking it during pregnancy. I looked it up online here is a link to the United States Food & Drug Adminitstation warning:

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm245594.htm

angelbaby8486
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Im taking Zoloft per my ob and psychiatrist. They both say its very safe to take during pregnancy. The benefits out weight the cons for me. I have an anxiety disorder, ocd and depression and Zoloft has helped me so much. Im here if you need to talk about it :)
wantthatbaby46
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

This is very similar to me. I went off of Zoloft due to ttc and lasted 6 1/2 months before I started having horrible depression, anxiety, and mood swings.  It came to the point that the benefits are needed in order for me to be able to even try to conceive.  Sad, but true.

Quoting angelbaby8486:

Im taking Zoloft per my ob and psychiatrist. They both say its very safe to take during pregnancy. The benefits out weight the cons for me. I have an anxiety disorder, ocd and depression and Zoloft has helped me so much. Im here if you need to talk about it :)

~Alisonsimple smile

ZombyMommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I think that I would kill DH if it wasn't for my Zoloft. It's more the Topomax that I am worried about. I can't find any info on whether or not it causes fertility issues.

Quoting wantthatbaby46:

This is very similar to me. I went off of Zoloft due to ttc and lasted 6 1/2 months before I started having horrible depression, anxiety, and mood swings.  It came to the point that the benefits are needed in order for me to be able to even try to conceive.  Sad, but true.

Quoting angelbaby8486:

HW614
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Quoting cashgirl88:

I have taken Topamax for migraines too I remember there bein a warning about taking it during pregnancy. I looked it up online here is a link to the United States Food & Drug Adminitstation warning:

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm245594.htm

I weaned off of topomax when we started ttc. 

wantthatbaby46
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM

have you asked your ob/gyn and your pcp to both do research on the topic for you? they have access to a lot of medical journals and could look into it more thoroughly for you

Quoting ZombyMommy:

I think that I would kill DH if it wasn't for my Zoloft. It's more the Topomax that I am worried about. I can't find any info on whether or not it causes fertility issues.

Quoting wantthatbaby46:

Quoting angelbaby8486:

x_Starr_x
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Prozac IS NOT SAFE FOR PREGNANCY prozac can cause spontaneous misscarages.

Quoting sprinkles9112:

I'm going to my doc tomorrow to discuss antidepressants. I've been on Wellbutrin, but stopped in February when I thought I might be pregnant. Now I'm going tomorrow to get started on something more baby-friendly. In talking to my mom (nurse practitioner) she has said that Zoloft and Prozac are usually safe at the beginning of pregnancy.  I don't think they interfere with getting pregnant. 

Not sure about Topamax. I've never heard of it causing issues. You could call and talk to your doctor though. I know I wouldn't quit my migraine meds if I didn't have to. LOL GL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)