Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Zolfot, Topamax and TTC...

Posted by   + Show Post

Do either of you take either of those and have you experienced any problems? 

I have been taking Zoloft for years but I wasn't taking it either time that I got PG before. The online stuff says no problems and that it's ok to take after getting PG but I know that sometimes they aren't all that forthcoming about the sideeffects. 

I take the Topamax (Topimirate) for migraines. It's an anti-seziure medication which also claims no fertility problems but it causes all kinds of other issues, like sever weight loss (ain't complaining there) and mood swings. I don't want to take myself off it if I don't need to. 

Thanks ladies! 

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Replies (11-16):
x_Starr_x
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM
the only safe way is no meds personal opinion I was on celexa and norvasc I had stopped celexa by choice and norvac as it was a class c drug however I do now take methladopa a class b drug but I take it sparingly unfortunantly if I don't take it I could have a stroke heart attack etc....... I try to maintain as much as I can and I limit my dosage.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ZombyMommy
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I agree. I've been doing A LOT of research on how to get my family off of the drugs they are on and taking natural vitamins instead. I definitely think that improving our diet and adding some vitamins will help with weaning me off things. 

Quoting x_Starr_x:

the only safe way is no meds personal opinion I was on celexa and norvasc I had stopped celexa by choice and norvac as it was a class c drug however I do now take methladopa a class b drug but I take it sparingly unfortunantly if I don't take it I could have a stroke heart attack etc....... I try to maintain as much as I can and I limit my dosage.

x_Starr_x
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM
be careful you can also do harm by natural methods too.

Quoting ZombyMommy:

I agree. I've been doing A LOT of research on how to get my family off of the drugs they are on and taking natural vitamins instead. I definitely think that improving our diet and adding some vitamins will help with weaning me off things. 

Quoting x_Starr_x:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sprinkles9112
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM

It's had the most studies done on it as far as it's safety with pregnancy. I just spoke with my doctor today abot it and have talked to my obgyn...

Quoting x_Starr_x:

Prozac IS NOT SAFE FOR PREGNANCY prozac can cause spontaneous misscarages.

Quoting sprinkles9112:

I'm going to my doc tomorrow to discuss antidepressants. I've been on Wellbutrin, but stopped in February when I thought I might be pregnant. Now I'm going tomorrow to get started on something more baby-friendly. In talking to my mom (nurse practitioner) she has said that Zoloft and Prozac are usually safe at the beginning of pregnancy.  I don't think they interfere with getting pregnant. 

Not sure about Topamax. I've never heard of it causing issues. You could call and talk to your doctor though. I know I wouldn't quit my migraine meds if I didn't have to. LOL GL

ZombyMommy
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I agree. I was on Prozac with DS and it made me so sick. I threw up when I took it. I'm sure they have changed the formula by now. 

Quoting sprinkles9112:

It's had the most studies done on it as far as it's safety with pregnancy. I just spoke with my doctor today abot it and have talked to my obgyn...

Quoting x_Starr_x:

Quoting sprinkles9112:

I'm going to my doc tomorrow to discuss antidepressants. I've been on Wellbutrin, but stopped in February when I thought I might be pregnant. Now I'm going tomorrow to get started on something more baby-friendly. In talking to my mom (nurse practitioner) she has said that Zoloft and Prozac are usually safe at the beginning of pregnancy.  I don't think they interfere with getting pregnant. 

Not sure about Topamax. I've never heard of it causing issues. You could call and talk to your doctor though. I know I wouldn't quit my migraine meds if I didn't have to. LOL GL

sprinkles9112
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I'll have to double check with my ob when I have my preconception visit. I don't want to be misinformed. But that's what UptoDate says too (doc info database)

Quoting ZombyMommy:

I agree. I was on Prozac with DS and it made me so sick. I threw up when I took it. I'm sure they have changed the formula by now. 

Quoting sprinkles9112:

Quoting x_Starr_x:

Quoting sprinkles9112:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN