Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IVF questions

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM
  • 9 Replies
About how much does this procedure cost? And what exactly do they do? I'm not to the point of going for it quite yet, but I'm curious!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hypnautica
by Jennifer on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
It cost between $9,000-$12,000 for one try and the price depends on your location. Some clinics offer an Attain program which runs between $16,000-$22,000 and that will cover 2 fresh cycles and 2 frozen and some offers a 6 cycle program. Fresh means they do everything fresh and if you have any embryos left they will freeze them so that's where the frozen comes from. As far as what they do you will be put on a few different meds which will be injected into your stomach for around 8-12 days depending on how well you respond. They will monitor your follicles as well as do blood work to make sure everything is on track. Once your follicles get big enough they will have you do a trigger shot. After the trigger shot you will go into the office about 36hrs later for them to go in and remove the mature eggs. They will then take your eggs back to the lab where your dh/so semen will be waiting. They will put the sperm into the dish with the eggs if the sperm doesn't fertilize them they will do ICSI which is an extra cost and they put the sperm right into the eggs. Once they fertilize you will then wait 3-5 days to see if they will make it and if they do then you will go in on day 3 or 5 usually to get 1-2 embryos put in. You will also be put on progesterone once they remove the eggs up until you get your blood test done to see if your pregnant.

I've been through 2 and will be doing another in a few months. The above is all I can think of right now.
hypnautica
by Jennifer on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Also your meds if your insurance doesn't cover it will be $2000-$6000
AshCH
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM
That sounds terrifying! And so expensive; but totally worth it! If it doesn't take do they "re do" it?

Quoting hypnautica:

It cost between $9,000-$12,000 for one try and the price depends on your location. Some clinics offer an Attain program which runs between $16,000-$22,000 and that will cover 2 fresh cycles and 2 frozen and some offers a 6 cycle program. Fresh means they do everything fresh and if you have any embryos left they will freeze them so that's where the frozen comes from. As far as what they do you will be put on a few different meds which will be injected into your stomach for around 8-12 days depending on how well you respond. They will monitor your follicles as well as do blood work to make sure everything is on track. Once your follicles get big enough they will have you do a trigger shot. After the trigger shot you will go into the office about 36hrs later for them to go in and remove the mature eggs. They will then take your eggs back to the lab where your dh/so semen will be waiting. They will put the sperm into the dish with the eggs if the sperm doesn't fertilize them they will do ICSI which is an extra cost and they put the sperm right into the eggs. Once they fertilize you will then wait 3-5 days to see if they will make it and if they do then you will go in on day 3 or 5 usually to get 1-2 embryos put in. You will also be put on progesterone once they remove the eggs up until you get your blood test done to see if your pregnant.

I've been through 2 and will be doing another in a few months. The above is all I can think of right now.

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:07 AM
You can get another round but everything will be the same price including your meds. Unless you get the Attain program you will pay the $9000-$12000 each cycle unless you have some that are frozen in that case its about $3000-$4000 and not sure about meds

Quoting AshCH:

That sounds terrifying! And so expensive; but totally worth it! If it doesn't take do they "re do" it?

Quoting hypnautica:

AshCH
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Oh wow, so not as acessible as I was expecting!

Quoting hypnautica:

You can get another round but everything will be the same price including your meds. Unless you get the Attain program you will pay the $9000-$12000 each cycle unless you have some that are frozen in that case its about $3000-$4000 and not sure about meds

Quoting AshCH:

Quoting hypnautica:

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM
You keep paying the fees until you get a bfp, give up or run out of money. It is never done free even if it doesn't work.
AshCH
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:49 AM
That's kind if infuriating...it makes me sad how money hungry people are, I understand that A LOT goes into it but I just feel like if it doesn't work why should you have to pay the full fee?

Quoting hypnautica:

You keep paying the fees until you get a bfp, give up or run out of money. It is never done free even if it doesn't work.

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM
It would be nice not to
MommyofJustin
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)