Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Early ultrasounds

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM
  • 21 Replies

ive read on here that Early untrasounds can cause a miscarage. is this true? if so when is it safe to get an ultra sounds? how early?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CV3
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I dont know. I had my first ultrasound with my son at 7 weeks and didnt have a problem.

mhoelzer2988
by Meagan on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
never heard that. dont think dr, s would allow that if it did. I had a vaginal ultrasound at 6 weeks with my 2nd and everything turned out fine.
beachlove512
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I haven't heard that either. I had a transvaginal ultrasound at 10 weeks and baby was/is healthy.

Bundleofjoy
by Melissa on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I've never heard of this either. I had my first ultrasound at about 6 weeks. Never had a problem. I also wouldn't think the doctor would be aloud to do one so early if so. Good luck!
WishingAway
by Angela on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM

The doctor wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe.  I had a transvaginal at 9 weeks.. 

nicole2884
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Doubt it
sexycheeks
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Ultrasounds  are safe, people just do not like to do it early because they I not want to be disappointed like me. I had 2 miscarriages both came the next day after I did the ultrasound, so my doc decided not to do any ultrasound for my third child in 2005 and I didn't do one, he did not do too many pelvic exams either throughout the pregnancy, he just checked me and said everthing is fine and used the Doppler instead once in awhile and never had a single problem with this child, I even encountered taking a bad fall and nothing happened, love my doc so much for this and now she is six years and growing nicely

CD_Eaton
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM

just woundering thanks guys

ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I have heard from Midwives....one in particular that was in the documentary The Business of Being Born..or something say that ultrasounds should not be done unless absolutely necessary because there is no solid proof either way if it harms or does not harm the embryo/fetus.

And I wholeheartedly believe that Dr's dont know everything. They go to school, but after that it's all "practice", as with anything humans do it's all a "grey" area.

I had 2 ultrasounds with my son, he squirmed away a lot, but it didnt "hurt" him as far as I know, and I'd have One again...but it's really just an unknown for now, IMO.

Kharmoni
by Jessie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM

No idea.. With my daughter it seemed I had u/s done every month.. first one being at 5 weeks..

I think the people that are saying it can cause a miscarriage are talking about the transvaginal u/s.. Some U/S Techs are NOT gentle at all and there's also the chance of introducing bacteria too.. (last comment came from one of my Dr.s on transvaginal u/s's)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured