Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what to do with a 7 yr old with potty problems

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:10 PM
  • 9 Replies

i have a 7 yr old daughter who is in the 1st grade .she was easy to potty train but for about the last yr she has gotten to where she will pee her in school or where ever she is at. i've talked to her dr. and he calls it a spazmatc bladder and put her on some medicne for it and gave her note to go potty when ever she needs to but she will sit at her desk and wet herself and does'nt say anything to the teacher and wears her pee clothes all day till she gets home. her tutty stays red as well as her upper thighs. i keep vasoline on em. what to do at my wits end.  don't know what to do short of spanking her every time she does it plz help

by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
michellej428
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Spanking her will not help. I know for me personally, I was always terrified to use the school bathrooms for some reason. I got very good at holding it all day but would usually end up wetting myself while running home from the bus stop.

Is she shy? I think that's what my problem was. I was VERY shy and didn't want to ask in front of the whole class and bring any type of attention to myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
braxtons-mommy
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Make a pretty princess calander gets some stickers and for every day she doesn't wet her panties, put a sticker on the calender. At the end of the week get her an icecream treat, or take her to childrens movie. Make it fun. Good luck mamma it will pass, its just a phase some kids go through..
babycarney08
by Kim on May. 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM
You should change docs. There's some kind of problem. Either bladder or uti. Did this just come on? How long? Any fevers or sleepiness?
kimmiec.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM
no she I not shy she is very out going and loves to talk to people I don't believe she has ever met a stranger she has to wear pull ups at night to keep from soaking the bed but she will not stinky herself she goes to the potty for that but does not wipe very well at school I sometimes think she likes to wet herself I hope its just a passing phase that she is in
kimmiec.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM

she has no fever or uti he has check her pee for that and it has been about a yr  since this started  i really have tried to convience her that she is too big to being wetting herself like that but it does'nt really bother her

kimmiec.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM
I have thought bout that but haven't done it yet but I will def give that try ty
kimmiec.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM
she does not like going to bed but that is because she is adhd and has a very busy mind
mama2gg
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Well first I'd make her wear a pull up to school for many reasons 1. Kids are mean and she is of not already going to be picked on and made fun of 2. There is no reason to have to wear wet clothes phase or not make her wear one to at least stay as cleanas possible

And I would find another ped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrOuDmAmAoF2g1b
by on May. 25, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Please please please whatever you do DON'T spank her, it will only make things worse - trust me I've been in your situation, but a bit different circumstances...my 9 yr old was quickly potty trained when she was younger & when she turned 7 it all went downhill...she started peeing the bed every single night - we tried everything to understand why he was doing it, we even yelled at her a few times yes, because honestly it was beyond stressful to have a 7 yr old wearing pullups,but I cried every time & then hugged her because i could tell it hurt her. She couldn't stop. She is now 9.5 & has been dry every night for almost 2 months. I never took her to the dr because all they are gonna do is give some crap excuse & put her on meds (I do not like to give my kids any type of medication unless 100% necessary) its all in her mind & it's something she has to learn to re-control again. Maybe try telling her if she stays dry at school all day then u will take her out for ice cream & progress form there like if she's dry for the entire week u will take her to the zoo or even something she enjoys. I did this with my daughter & it works. I told my daughter that every time she peed the bed I'd take her Nintendo DS away for the next day. Also the fact that your daughter is coming home in the same clothes she's peed in & been in all day would infuriate me if it was my child only because the school nurse should allow her to take an extra pair of clothes so she won't have a rash, that's not healthy to have the ammonia in the urine to sit on her delicate skin all day not to mention the stares she is most likely getting from her classmates. I dont think sending her to school with a pullup on will help either, because then she will feel that it's ok to just go when she feels like it. I am so sorry this got sooo long but I understand what u are going thru & if you wanna talk about it please feel free to PM me anytime!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)