Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confused.....Help if you can!

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:54 PM
  • 6 Replies

So, my hubby and I have decided that we will want to do IUI after this cycle if we are not pregnant. Well I wanted to know the exact cost so we will be ready if need be. So, I recieved a call from my doctors office. they said my insurance does not cover infertility so the sonogram to check my follicoles is $450, the HCG shot is $225, and then the wash and injection is $225 so total is $935. I'm sorry to me that is a lot considering i was thinking this was only going to cost around $400 or $500. The sonogram is what is just outrages. If anyone can let me know how much their IUI cost or if this is about right that would be great. Just feeling a little down about this news.

by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I think my RE quoted me more in the $2000 range for IUI.  $935 sounds pretty reasonable to me, based on what I've heard others say about IUI costs.

I do agree, though, that the sonogram cost is crazy.  I also think the hcg shot is crazy - the only reasonable part is the wash &  injection. Given that that part is where they really have to work, and it requires more expertise, it seems crazy it isn't more expensive for that.

alwayshopefull
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Oh my gosh $2000 that is crazy! Yea, I agree the wash and procedure itself is what its all about. The sonogram takes like 5 mins and not much effort and that is the most expensive! Hard for me to spend so much money when it isnt a for sure thing! We will see going to do clomid one more cycle then take a 2 month break from clomid.  

Quoting GwenMB:

I think my RE quoted me more in the $2000 range for IUI.  $935 sounds pretty reasonable to me, based on what I've heard others say about IUI costs.

I do agree, though, that the sonogram cost is crazy.  I also think the hcg shot is crazy - the only reasonable part is the wash &  injection. Given that that part is where they really have to work, and it requires more expertise, it seems crazy it isn't more expensive for that.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jun. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM

If it makes you feel better, I got the insurance statement today about last cycle's u/s & trigger shot.  The clinic charged $650 for the u/s & $455 for the trigger shot.  I'm not sure if that's exactly what the clinic will charge us (since insurance doesn't cover any infertility treatments), but it still seems rather crazy.  I do plan to call them Monday to see if I can get them to charge less.

alwayshopefull
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I know it is just soo crazy to me how much it all cost for a procedure that takes less than 3 mins to do! I hope you can get them to come down some! My hubby is thinking of putting me back on his work insurance since his covers 100% of fertility.  

Quoting GwenMB:

If it makes you feel better, I got the insurance statement today about last cycle's u/s & trigger shot.  The clinic charged $650 for the u/s & $455 for the trigger shot.  I'm not sure if that's exactly what the clinic will charge us (since insurance doesn't cover any infertility treatments), but it still seems rather crazy.  I do plan to call them Monday to see if I can get them to charge less.

amy31308
by Ashlee on Jun. 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM
I think that sounds like a great idea to get on his insurance if it covers infertility!

Quoting alwayshopefull:

I know it is just soo crazy to me how much it all cost for a procedure that takes less than 3 mins to do! I hope you can get them to come down some! My hubby is thinking of putting me back on his work insurance since his covers 100% of fertility.  

Quoting GwenMB:

alwayshopefull
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Yea i think so too....the only bad thing is we will have to wait until open enrollment for me to get back on which I believe is in Jan. 

Quoting amy31308:

I think that sounds like a great idea to get on his insurance if it covers infertility!

Quoting alwayshopefull:

Quoting GwenMB:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)