Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do? (wasn't sure where to post)

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 26 Replies

Alright, so we've (which includes me, DH, my mom, and brother) have been talking about moving to Portland, OR FOREVER. My brother is moving out there in August.  My mom recently applied for her nurse practitioner license in both WA and OR- she applied for an AMAZING job opportunity out there, had a phone interview and they love her and want to do another interview with some of the partners/doctors.  This could mean we would be moving by October. 

Normally, this would have me breaking out in a shriek of joy and getting things ready to pack...HOWEVER...with the recent finding that I'm pregnant...I'm worried. 
Us moving that far away (currently in Northern Indiana...so it's not a short drive) before the baby is born sort of makes me feel sad.  1) I don't think there'd be enough time for a babyshower. I'm not trying to be selfish, but what girl doesn't get excited about her babyshower? It's literally a rite of passage (yeah, I actually wrote an ethnography about one this past semester LOL).  2) When the baby is born...my MIL, FIL, dad, grandma, and closests friends won't be there. My dad I could see flying out there, but my MIL and FIL don't necessarily have the money to just buy a ticket.  My most closest friends that I've known for years- who knows when they'd meet the baby.  

I know, the main thought is- "Why are you moving at the exact same time as your mom?" Well, the plan was we'd move out there at the same time and share the cost of an apartment until we could get on our feet with jobs, etc.  She absolutely will not move out there without us (more so now that I'm pregnant) but if I tell her we're not ready, then she misses this huge job opportunity. It's everything she's been looking for. Plus, I can't have this baby without her. She's my best friend and the #1 person I go to with questions.

I just don't know what to do.
Sorry this was so long. Tried to make sure all the important details were there.  

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sprinkles9112
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM

BUMP!

shiningjoy
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

wow, this is a really hard choice.  I can relate in a way.  We just moved to a new state a couple months ago....even though my DH family is here, we are not exactly close, I can feel what you are going through.  we are ttc and it kinda breaks my heart MY friends and family won't be here, and I really don't know to many people around here yet either....

Nicolettaz
by Nicole on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Not sure either that's a tough one. But you need to do what's best for you and your baby.

Good luck and I wish you the best .
KaidensMom916
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sorry moving so far away from family and friends is really hard. I moved from Michigan to North Carolina and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. Would it be possible for you to make a trip back after the baby is born to visit? Maybe instead of having a baby shower have a I'm not sure what they are called but a shower after the baby is born.
sprinkles9112
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM
I've thought about that (later baby shower) but don't really like the idea. My mom had the idea of having the shower before we move, even though I'll only be 4 months. I'm not sure how I feel about taking our baby on a plane or long road trip. Maybe it won't happen as soon as October, but I don't see how it could be postponed.

Thanks for your replies, everyone :)

Quoting KaidensMom916:

I'm sorry moving so far away from family and friends is really hard. I moved from Michigan to North Carolina and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. Would it be possible for you to make a trip back after the baby is born to visit? Maybe instead of having a baby shower have a I'm not sure what they are called but a shower after the baby is born.

rescuetheclouds
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in Portland area :) haha.
Anyways.
Maybe see if you can have a baby shower before you go? Even if it's earlier than most people do theirs.
shiningjoy
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say have a shower before you go!  I flew with my daughter when she was 5 months old I believe and it was from Germany back to new england, then back again when she was 10 months old, only to fly back 2 weeks later.  It isn't so bad.  And if you have one after she is born then atleast you can register for stuff you still need or may need as she gets older.

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

If moving will mean a better life for you and baby then I would go. I wouldn't stay just because of your missing out on a baby shower!

sprinkles9112
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Yeah, my mom mentioned having one before we leave. Might not be a bad idea.
And you'll have to be my friend when I get there :)

Quoting rescuetheclouds:

I live in Portland area :) haha.

Anyways.

Maybe see if you can have a baby shower before you go? Even if it's earlier than most people do theirs.

sprinkles9112
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Wow! And she didn't have any issues? I guess it'd only be 5-6 hours...

Quoting shiningjoy:

I would say have a shower before you go!  I flew with my daughter when she was 5 months old I believe and it was from Germany back to new england, then back again when she was 10 months old, only to fly back 2 weeks later.  It isn't so bad.  And if you have one after she is born then atleast you can register for stuff you still need or may need as she gets older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)