Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Dogs and babies

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:31 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi everyone-

Something I've been thinking about ahead of time (going to TTC in August) is how to ensure my dog adjusts well to the new baby and can be calm/safe. He has always been great with people but is really big so he can inadvertently knock things over because he has no spatial awareness!! He als has some aggressiveness towards other dogs although only when there is food around. He has been in our family for 4 years, and I want to try to be proactive in doing what I can to help him adjust to the family changes. Does anyone have any ideas? I heard that playing recorded crying can be helplful to get the dog used to the sounds. Thanks!!

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sweetpeasmom200
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:38 AM

When I was doing some research about this they said to bring home the blankets that they first put on the baby that has the most scent and put on in his crate if he is crate trained if not put one in his bed and he will smell it and get the scent of the baby.  But I think most dogs just know that is a little human and a baby so they are calm.

alyssaravensmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:58 AM
This. I didn't do it, but my Pomeranians have always been wonderful to her. The most we had to worry about was them licking her face, but always still stay close when babies are around dogs.

Quoting sweetpeasmom200:

When I was doing some research about this they said to bring home the blankets that they first put on the baby that has the most scent and put on in his crate if he is crate trained if not put one in his bed and he will smell it and get the scent of the baby.  But I think most dogs just know that is a little human and a baby so they are calm.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sprinkles9112
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I think he will probably be ok. Like sweetpeasmom200 said, have someone bring a blanket the baby was in home and let him get used to the scent. Food aggression with other dogs won't necessarily transfer over to overall aggression with a baby. He might act a little jealous or super curious, but just make sure to praise him when he does a good job and to that he gets his own personal human time. :D 

Wish2bAMommy
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I heard from my MIL who had two big dobermans (super friendly ones of course) that when arriving home from the hospital she walked in the house first and gave them lots of love and they smelled the baby scent from her but associated it with just being a part of her and then my FIL walked in with the baby and the dogs were fine. I have two siberian huskies so of course I am a little nervous too about bringing home a tiny baby to them but I think the most important thing is to make sure the dog doesn't get left out. Make sure you still find the time to give him some love too and the baby will just be another part of the pack :)

marissabrookee
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Definitely bring a blanket home from the hospital before you bring the baby home. Let him sniff and sleep with it. You'll be surprised how well he will adjust to the baby. No one should be worried about their dogs.
Daringg8ly
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and reassurance!

mdawn028
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM
That sounds like a good idea. My dog is good around babies and children. I hope yours is too.Have you tried babysitting for a friend to see what your dog will.do? Hope you get pregnant soon. Hope your dog does good. Hugs
Dawna

Quoting Daringg8ly:

Hi everyone-

Something I've been thinking about ahead of time (going to TTC in August) is how to ensure my dog adjusts well to the new baby and can be calm/safe. He has always been great with people but is really big so he can inadvertently knock things over because he has no spatial awareness!! He als has some aggressiveness towards other dogs although only when there is food around. He has been in our family for 4 years, and I want to try to be proactive in doing what I can to help him adjust to the family changes. Does anyone have any ideas? I heard that playing recorded crying can be helplful to get the dog used to the sounds. Thanks!!

xLilBit22
by Meli on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Well let them smell the baby stuff that has been worn. Give them lots of love. Also when your holding the baby let them come around to meet baby see/smell. I knew my dogs would be good with babies bc my friend would always bring her son around & my nephew would be around alot. Ive let her smell new baby & already is protective of her. Im sure it will all work out. Btw my dogs dont like other dogs & dont like some people right away.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)