Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IUI Trigger Shot dosage

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 9 Replies
Hello, this is my 2nd IUI and my RE uses ovidrel for the trigger. Dr Sher of Sher Institute does not think it is as effective as HSG and says if you do use it you need to double the dosage( I assume 2 shots) Please let me know what dosage you have used and if anyone has had success. There does not seem to be a way to confirm ovulation after a trigger or is there? I would hate for this to be a waste of time.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hypnautica
by Jennifer on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I have never heard of using 2 trigger shots. I have gone through 2 IUIs, 2 IVFs and a few months of just Clomid and trigger and not once I have ever used more than 1. Double check to make sure that is what they are meaning for you to do. I have never thought about making sure I ovulated after the shot. I do know its normally 36hrs after the shot is when I got my IUIs and IVFs done. Good luck and I hope this brings you a bfp.

tluvsd2
by TONI on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I DID 1 HCG SHOT THATS ALL MY RE DOES WE WILL DO 1 SHOT IN SEPTEMBER IF OUR IUI GOES AS PLANNED I TESTED MY HCG SHOT IY WAS OUT BY 10DPO PLUS I LOVE TO POAS LOL MY TEMPS TOLD ME I OVULATED GL & FX ! THIS IS YOUR MONTH FOR YOUR BFP
corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I did use Ovidrel.  Granted, I'm really tiny, so my doctor may have only prescribed me one because of that.

But in any case, you should contact your doctor about the proper dosage.  It would depend on your weight, and how well you respond to hormonal prescriptions.

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Quoting corrinacs:

I did use Ovidrel.  Granted, I'm really tiny, so my doctor may have only prescribed me one because of that.

But in any case, you should contact your doctor about the proper dosage.  It would depend on your weight, and how well you respond to hormonal prescriptions.

Actually being tiny and your weight has nothing to do with it. I have a friend who weighs almost 200lbs and she was only given one shot with her IUI which resulted in a BFP for her.

becbec71705
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I am also getting ready for my trigger shot hopefully by this weekend. I take my shot with me to the RE and she mixes it for me. Than I take it home and put it  in the fridge and wait for the time she tells me to take it. I used Novarel (SP) last month and got a BFN. We are trying again this month withthe same.Hoping for a BFP!!

corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Oh wow, that's interesting.  Unfortunately, it didn't work for me at all :(.  The second go-around was much more successful.

I just remember when I was going through it, they were so super careful about the dosages of everything.  I took Gonal-F and had to take half doses because they didn't want my to be hyperstimulated.  

Just my experience with the RE.

Quoting hypnautica:

Quoting corrinacs:

Actually being tiny and your weight has nothing to do with it. I have a friend who weighs almost 200lbs and she was only given one shot with her IUI which resulted in a BFP for her.

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I wish it were that easy for me but no such luck :( 2 IUIs and 2 IVFs and another IVF again soon.

Quoting corrinacs:

Oh wow, that's interesting.  Unfortunately, it didn't work for me at all :(.  The second go-around was much more successful.

I just remember when I was going through it, they were so super careful about the dosages of everything.  I took Gonal-F and had to take half doses because they didn't want my to be hyperstimulated.  

Quoting hypnautica:

Quoting corrinacs:

corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I'm sorry you've had such a hard time.  It took us over 6 cycles too, but because they didn't know what was going on...they didn't want to pull the "big guns" so to speak.  It's not easy no matter how you look at it.

Quoting hypnautica:

I wish it were that easy for me but no such luck :( 2 IUIs and 2 IVFs and another IVF again soon.

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting hypnautica:

Quoting corrinacs:

lturner
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I am very thin with PCOS. My RE always uses Ovidrel  and it comes as one 250 shot that studies say is as effective as 5000u of HCG.  I had planned to discuss trying HCG with RE but he must know what he is doing. It seems that when anyone does HCG, they do 10,000u. My IUI is tomorrow so there is not anything I can do this cycle, I just want some confirmation that Ovidrel does work.

This is Dr Sher from Sher Institute comment:

First, there is no advantage in giving Ovidrel instead of urinary-derived hCG. Furthermore, in my opinion, at the recommended dosage, Ovidrel has a much lower biopotency (and is less effective) than 10,000U of urinary-derived hCG. It is also much more expensive. If Ovidrel is to be used to “trigger” ovulation, I believe that it should be prescribed at double the recommended dosage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)