Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why can't people keep their opinions to themselves?!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 18 Replies

So, I was at Walmart and decided to pick up some pregnancy tests because I used them all last month, and as I'm picking the box off the shelf a lady I know walks up. (I say I know her because we aren't friends. We aren't not friends either. We're military and our husbands are on the same flight, so I "know" her lol.) But she says "oh no, you think you might be pregnant? I'm sorry". What the heck! Who says something like that?? So I say, "I'm not sure yet, hence the tests, and we'd be happy because we've been trying." She just blankly stares at me for about 30 seconds like I just said the most incomprehensive thing in the world, and then said "you're TRYING to have a 4th kid? Why? That's a lot of kids.". OMG I wanted to punch her in the face! Why do people think their opinions of my family size are important or that they should be voiced? My brother told me when I mentioned we were trying for #3 that I already have enough kids, and I don't need another--needless to say I haven't mentioned to him or the rest of the fam that were trying again. I would never go up to someone and say "you have/don't have enough kids, you should/shouldn't have another". GRRRR, some people!!

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjknue
by Jes on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Thank you! I agree completely with you. I want baby #3 my mom dreads the idea and all my family is put off by it. My DH said it doesn't matter what they think and I agree but it still hurts. Why does it matter if I have two or two dozen if it isn't hurting you.
steph.sublette
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh man, what a jerk. Some people need to mind their own business.

tluvsd2
by TONI on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I TOTALLY AGREE IM STILL WAITING ON 1 BUT I WOULD HAVE POPPED HER LOL!! I MEAN I LOVE LARGE FAMILIES AND HOW RUDE??? I MEAN YOU DID REAL GOOD NOT TO JUMP HER RIGHT THERE FXFXFX!!! I HOPE U GET YOUR BFP
bbrackett
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I know how ya feel. Can't wait to hear my moms reaction when I tell her I'm pregnant with #5 (when it happens). She told me after 3 she didn't need anymore grandkids from me because she has two other children also. She also complained when I was 9 months pregnant with my last saying ya that's all you need is another kid......ugh I was about to pop. Who says that? O well
kendraamornot
by Kendra on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM
I dont get why people say those things i can understand if u were u fit like many i know who have loat their children to the state ( i still wouldnt say anything although i would probobly think it to myself) but for someone who takes car of their children and love and want more Idont think its anyones business
kendraamornot
by Kendra on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Unfit*
Khooks
by Jessica on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM

How rude!!! I read somewhere that a lady said her family always gave her a hard time everytime she announced her pregnancy that one time they didn't tell anyone until the baby was born and that it pretty much ended any complaints from there on. Though, that would never work for me since I see my family often and my MIL lives next door, but they love babies! I hate it when strangers/ cashiers give weird looks like they know you.

LeslieS3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I'm like that with my kids names. I told out families that we were going to name our son Bradley and I got a "I've never met a Bradley I like" from my MIL and "I knew a Brad in high school and he was a huge jerk" from my dad. So we didn't tell anyone my daughters name until she was born. I just don't understand why people think it's ok to judge just because they only have, and only wanted, 2 kids. Well that's great for them, but they shouldn't make someone feel ridiculous just because they want a bigger family.
And trust me, I would have punched her in the face if my kids weren't with me and if her husband didn't outrank mine lol. I'd feel terrible if I got my husband in trouble because I couldn't control my temper.

Quoting Khooks:

How rude!!! I read somewhere that a lady said her family always gave her a hard time everytime she announced her pregnancy that one time they didn't tell anyone until the baby was born and that it pretty much ended any complaints from there on. Though, that would never work for me since I see my family often and my MIL lives next door, but they love babies! I hate it when strangers/ cashiers give weird looks like they know you.

Mom2five87
by Jennifer on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Ugh. I know exactly what you mean. We are TTC #6 and I got so many rude comments when I was pregnant with #5, there is no way I'm gonna tell my family (especially my mom) that we are TTC again. And when I do get pregnant I am seriously considering telling people that I was on bc and it failed. Just to avoid the crap. lol. I don't think people MEAN to be rude but they don't realize that sometimes you should just keep your opinions to yourself. lol. I can't tell you how many times I've had people ask me if I'm getting my tubes tied, if we're trying to be like the Brady Bunch (or the Duggars... or Octomom), if we "know what causes that," and the worst of all... I ran into an ex boyfriend's mom at the gas station and when I told her I just had my 5th baby she told me I need to "get my hole plugged up." W...t...f. Some people!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom TickersCafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Khooks
by Jessica on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Lol we don't reveal names either, people are so ridiculous. They have no life so they are interested in everyone elses. I agree, probably the best choice not ot hit her lol, but I hope you at least got in a snarky come back. (:

Quoting LeslieS3:

I'm like that with my kids names. I told out families that we were going to name our son Bradley and I got a "I've never met a Bradley I like" from my MIL and "I knew a Brad in high school and he was a huge jerk" from my dad. So we didn't tell anyone my daughters name until she was born. I just don't understand why people think it's ok to judge just because they only have, and only wanted, 2 kids. Well that's great for them, but they shouldn't make someone feel ridiculous just because they want a bigger family.
And trust me, I would have punched her in the face if my kids weren't with me and if her husband didn't outrank mine lol. I'd feel terrible if I got my husband in trouble because I couldn't control my temper.

Quoting Khooks:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured