Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just spend the extra money!

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 31 Replies
2 moms liked this
Ok, so first off I don't want to sound rude or condescending, bc this post is not directed in that way at all. When ttc dd & now with this one, I just went ahead & bit the bullet & bought either FRER or CB pg tests. I have seen sooo many posts on here of women buying the cheap dollar store/Walmart tests, & time again they are heart broken when it screws them over with a fake BFP or just doesn't work. I know it's easy to develop POASS, but just splurge a little & buy the good tests!!! I know they're not cheap, but you get what you pay for & it could save you a lot of heart ache. Trust me, it breaks my heart to pay $25-30 for OPK tests & 1 pg test, but it's totally worth it. GL to all the ladies & baby dust to you all!!!
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2gg
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM
5 moms liked this

FRER give evaps and fake lines too I have had TONS in the years while TTC I was given 10 FREE tests because I sent the company photos of my FALSE tests (and yes false I had blood work the same day)

SO I TOTALLY disagree why waste the money , if you THINK you see a line on a cheap one THEN go get a nicer one NO REASON at all to spend that extra money that can be saved for baby stuff or personal needs.

and wondfo OPK NEVER EVER EVER in the history of me TTC (five years) have not worked there is NO reason to use a expensive brand of opk AT ALL unless you just cant wait for the line to be positive and OVER THINK everything.

MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this
I only use the .88's and the $store test, but I never test early, so I trust the results. I simply wait until I'm late to test.

I learned my lesson when I was pregnant with baby Betty...I spent $100 on tests because I couldn't believe it was +, and my husband has never let me live it down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Loralismommy224
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Quoting MommyAddie:

I only use the .88's and the $store test, but I never test early, so I trust the results. I simply wait until I'm late to test.

I learned my lesson when I was pregnant with baby Betty...I spent $100 on tests because I couldn't believe it was +, and my husband has never let me live it down.

Lol, I bet not! That might be why a lot of the ladies are getting false readings...they're just trying too test too early?
MommytoangelE07
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
We are just excited and want to be mommy's... We know we're testing early, and we def. Go get the FRER and digis when we think we've got something stirring up.
It's fun to get other women's opinions to share a possible excitement... But the let downs do suck
CPatt0708
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't used the "cheapies" so I can't really weigh in on this.  However, I will say I think it is more about testing too early than the tests themselves.  I know it is difficult, but if you wait until you actually miss your period, any and all tests will be easier to see and more accurate everytime.  Why get a false bfn just to be disappointed?  I don't know, I have only been PG twice and I don't want to take away or sound direspectful to those who have been trying for years, I just think there will be less disappointment if you just wait for the tests to actually get a chance to pick up on the HcG.

CafeMom Tickers
mama2gg
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

unless you are like many of us that have to take meds that make HPT + and therefor HAVE to test everyday to make sure the line we see is a REAL line or our meds still not out of our system there is always a reason women do they things they do

Quoting CPatt0708:

I haven't used the "cheapies" so I can't really weigh in on this.  However, I will say I think it is more about testing too early than the tests themselves.  I know it is difficult, but if you wait until you actually miss your period, any and all tests will be easier to see and more accurate everytime.  Why get a false bfn just to be disappointed?  I don't know, I have only been PG twice and I don't want to take away or sound direspectful to those who have been trying for years, I just think there will be less disappointment if you just wait for the tests to actually get a chance to pick up on the HcG.

CPatt0708
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I was just expressing my opinion, like I stated in my post, I meant no disrepect.

Quoting mama2gg:

unless you are like many of us that have to take meds that make HPT + and therefor HAVE to test everyday to make sure the line we see is a REAL line or our meds still not out of our system there is always a reason women do they things they do

Quoting CPatt0708:

CafeMom Tickers
Loralismommy224
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Quoting mama2gg:

FRER give evaps and fake lines too I have had TONS in the years while TTC I was given 10 FREE tests because I sent the company photos of my FALSE tests (and yes false I had blood work the same day)

SO I TOTALLY disagree why waste the money , if you THINK you see a line on a cheap one THEN go get a nicer one NO REASON at all to spend that extra money that can be saved for baby stuff or personal needs.

and wondfo OPK NEVER EVER EVER in the history of me TTC (five years) have not worked there is NO reason to use a expensive brand of opk AT ALL unless you just cant wait for the line to be positive and OVER THINK everything.

I understand that no test is 100% accurate all the time, & I'm so sorry for those false readings. That I had to be ABSOLUTELY heart breaking! I've just noticed in reading the posts on here that the ladies are questioning their readings from the cheapies- & it may be bc they're just testing too early? I guess if you can wait, there's really no difference in what brand you use as long as the hormone has had time to show. I, personally, just feel better putting my trust in a FRER or CB than a dollar store test. The reason I've used the CB OPks, is bc our Walmart & target in my town only sells those. The last time I went to buy some OPKs, they only had the 1 brand, & of course it had to be the freaking expensive kind.
MommytoangelE07
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Another point is, It's not about the money bc I know ladies on here who spend A LOT of money on their hcg's and OPKs that are cheapie brands
Loralismommy224
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Quoting MommytoangelE07:

We are just excited and want to be mommy's... We know we're testing early, and we def. Go get the FRER and digis when we think we've got something stirring up.
It's fun to get other women's opinions to share a possible excitement... But the let downs do suck

Yes they do dear, & it's hard for others to read it too, lol! It took us 6 mos to conceive my dd, & that was with me never being on BC & actively trying. Every month that brought a BFN was so heart breaking, so I understand completely. I think it is with more of testing too early.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)