Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about RH negative blood type? (LONG)

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am sure some of you have seem my posts but for those who have not

I had a son in 2010 (I was 16) 

Married in 2011 (I was 17)

Have been ttc for about 20 months now :( 

I got pregnant in may 2013...miscarried July 28th (my sons third birthday) 2013 at about 10 weeks. 

I am now on my 2nd cycle since the MC!! 

ANYWAY my question is this I have A- blood type so I had to have the RhoGAM with my son around like 26-28 weeks I can't remember exactly and he was born with B+ so I had to have it again after he was born! 

When I had the MC I went to the ER when I started bleeding badly and when they told me I was having a MC they said I needed to have the RhoGAM shot anyways and they are suprised that I didn't get it when I first found out I was pregnant BUT that that shot would cover me if I got pregnant within 6 months of the miscarriage. 

Now are you suppose to get the RhoGAM shot at the beginning of your pregnancy if you RH negative blood type? IF so why did not I get it the first time around until over half way through? 

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hypnautica
by Jennifer on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Mama2gg would be able to answer this for you. She works at a gyno office. Here is a bump for her. If she doesnt come on I hope someone is able to help you.

Proud-mama-05
by Stacy on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM
I never got it in the very beginning of my pregnancy with any of my kids. I didn't get till about 28wks with all of them and then right after birth. Also right after my d&c I received one.
BabyG3
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Iam rh- also, I've had 3 pregnancies and rhogam has always been given at around 28 weeks...

AliciaScott88
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
26-28 Weeks pregnant, and again after a MC, or after delivering a + bloodtype baby is what my office told me, but double check with your OB. You should NOT take what anyone says as law on a forum, regardless what job title they claim they carry. Always be careful, protect yourself and double check. Gl to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Curlgurl
by Aubrey on Oct. 26, 2013 at 5:31 PM
You should get it at 28 weeks with your pregnancies or with any early bleeding or possible trauma like a car accident or fall. Anytime there is possible mixing of fetal and maternal blood. They don't give it at the beginning of pregnancy unless you are having bleeding. The ER is no expert on pregnancy so you may have just been misinformed. It was good to get it with your miscarriage though.
tay1981
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I am RH negative and as far as I have been told you do not need to have the Rhogam shot at the beginning of your pregnancy unless you are having any bleeding (as I did during the 1st trimester with my son). I also had it around 28 weeks and then again after my miscarriage in July. I am not really sure why they would tell you that. 

angryuterus
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:52 PM

With five kids I've only ever gotten the rhogam shot early when bleeding with DD1, DD3, and DS2.The fetus itself doesn't make blood right away so its not really needed when you find out you're preggo, but if I remember right they aren't entirely sure when it makes enough blood to affect future pregnancies so if you do start to m/c or bleed they give you a half dose rhogam.  I don't think they bother if its a chemical since there isn't even a heart beat to circulate blood for it to get into your system... kwim?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)