Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need your advice! Please chime in.

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 26 Replies

So, my doctor wants to see me. She wants to do some bloodwork and get me in for an ultrasound. She wants to make sure I'm not pregnant and she wants the ultrasound to look for cysts. I have had the same achy, burning pain for a month now.

The visit, bloodwork, ultrasound could cost up to $1,800. My insurance through the stupid obamacare doesn't kick in until Jan 1 and is a decutible of $4,000 with max out fo pocket of $6,200. Basically either way, I have to pay in full. However, if I wait until Jan all this goes towards my deductible. If I go before then, it won't count.

What do I do?! I'm at a loss. I really want some answers, but I also feel like if I'm going to have this giant bill I want it to count toward my deductible. Gah!

Wife to a wonderful man, who wants to be a daddy as much as I want to be a mommy. Hopefuly soon! <3

Stalk My Chart =]

Join my Pregnancy Test Tweak Group

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sonylena
by Selena on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM
That's a tough one girl!! I don't know what I'd do.
.sp4rkl3z.
by Meredith on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM
You have over a month to go till the 1st of the year - is there any concern with waiting that long? I missed why you are having this done
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steph.sublette
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this

Do you think you will be getting a tax return back? You could use that $$ to pay the bill... there are also Low income/no medical insurance medical clinics all over, maybe you could look into finding one and getting the tests done cheaper?

bellanicolexox
by Nicole on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I had a 4 inch cyst removed from my right ovary in Feb 2012, it almost cost me the ovary. It was the worst 3 months of pain I've had because it took them 3 weeks to see me and diagnose it, then another month and a half to get me into surgery. She's worried it's back and maybe more than one. However, the pain  isn't severe, so I could probably make it til January. The bloodwork is to see if I am pregnant or not, because there is no for sure on when my AF is due. In August my cycle was 29 days, Sept 42, last month 32. I'm CD30 right now. With a couple very maybe pregnancy tests with super super faint lines. Idk. My body is a mess.

Quoting .sp4rkl3z.:

You have over a month to go till the 1st of the year - is there any concern with waiting that long? I missed why you are having this done

Wife to a wonderful man, who wants to be a daddy as much as I want to be a mommy. Hopefuly soon! <3

Stalk My Chart =]

bellanicolexox
by Nicole on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Yeah, a little probably nothing big back. Maybe I can find a medical clinic, I just get skeeved out by them. A lot say go to planned parenthood but Idk I feel really really weird doing that. Esp since ours is in the inner inner city. Like the ghetto.

Quoting steph.sublette:

Do you think you will be getting a tax return back? You could use that $$ to pay the bill... there are also Low income/no medical insurance medical clinics all over, maybe you could look into finding one and getting the tests done cheaper?

Stalk My Chart =]

.sp4rkl3z.
by Meredith on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Yeah the cyst is concerning. That is a tough call but if you do go in just explain you need the absolute bare minimum testing done to make sure you are safe and explain your insurance situation. I'm sure they understand!

I don't think it's routine to take blood to test for pregnancy unless there is a concern that it isn't viable. You can save money on that draw I would imagine, by just waiting a little longer and testing at home to see if it is a BFP

Quoting bellanicolexox:

I had a 4 inch cyst removed from my right ovary in Feb 2012, it almost cost me
the ovary. It was the worst 3 months of pain I've had because it took
them 3 weeks to see me and diagnose it, then another month and a half to
get me into surgery. She's worried it's back and maybe more than one.
However, the pain  isn't severe, so I could probably make it til January. The bloodwork is to see if I am pregnant or not, because there is no for sure on when my AF is due. In August my cycle was 29 days, Sept 42, last month 32. I'm CD30 right now. With a couple very maybe pregnancy tests with super super faint lines. Idk. My body is a mess.

Quoting .sp4rkl3z.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steph.sublette
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't be freaked out at all by the clinics. The doctors arent any less qualified. Just bring some hand sanitizer and those wipes to set yourself at ease.. . Planned parenthood is an amazing organization for women, more places should be as charitable.

Quoting bellanicolexox:

Yeah, a little probably nothing big back. Maybe I can find a medical clinic, I just get skeeved out by them. A lot say go to planned parenthood but Idk I feel really really weird doing that. Esp since ours is in the inner inner city. Like the ghetto.

Quoting steph.sublette:

Tressa1
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Both things could wait another 6 weeks right? If it were me I'd wait. Those are insane deductibles.
bellanicolexox
by Nicole on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Yeah legit the cheapest I could get in this stupid obamacare. Together we make maybe 65k per year. Between the main bills of rent, two car payments, both car insurances, electric bill that is about 25k if not a little more. Then of course you have cell bill, credit cards, student loans, gas, groceries and combined that's all like maybe 40k a year GONE at least. And now they want around 9k a year from me for health insurance, 13k if we have DH included in it. These are all very rough estimates off the top of my head. I don't see most of the money I make. It's crazy it really realy is. We work hard to stay afloat we don't really own nice things. I lease my car because I can't afford a big payment! I get a new pair of jeans maybe once or twice a year. I'm not rich, but they sure make me pay like I am.

Quoting Tressa1:

Both things could wait another 6 weeks right? If it were me I'd wait. Those are insane deductibles.

Stalk My Chart =]

.sp4rkl3z.
by Meredith on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM
We will just take the penalty at this point. I'm finding $7500-$10K deductibles with almost $800 a month for our payment without the kids even and then not all of them cover 100% after the deductible is met. I'm better off setting that monthly bill money aside for medical bills and paying the penalty.

Quoting bellanicolexox:

Yeah legit the cheapest I could get in this stupid obamacare. Together we make maybe 65k per year. Between the main bills of rent, two car payments, both car insurances, electric bill that is about 25k if not a little more. Then of course you have cell bill, credit cards, student loans, gas, groceries and combined that's all like maybe 40k a year GONE at least. And now they want around 9k a year from me for health insurance, 13k if we have DH included in it. These are all very rough estimates off the top of my head. I don't see most of the money I make. It's crazy it really realy is. We work hard to stay afloat we don't really own nice things. I lease my car because I can't afford a big payment! I get a new pair of jeans maybe once or twice a year. I'm not rich, but they sure make me pay like I am.

Quoting Tressa1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured