Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

going in for a pap tomorrow and want to ask the dr................

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:47 AM
  • 11 Replies
If they can test me for pcos? Does anyone know how they can test for that and do you think the Dr would think I was nuts for me being the one bringing up that I think I have it
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommytoangelE07
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Good luck :) idk about PCOS sorry
kristen518-06
by Kristen :) on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:50 AM
That's ok. Thanks!! I was telling my dh that I was going to ask the Dr about it and he just kept laughing. Kinda made me feel like I shouldn't

Quoting MommytoangelE07: Good luck :) idk about PCOS sorry
MommytoangelE07
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Aww men they don't get it.. Let's see what ladies say on here

Quoting kristen518-06: That's ok. Thanks!! I was telling my dh that I was going to ask the Dr about it and he just kept laughing. Kinda made me feel like I shouldn't

kristen518-06
by Kristen :) on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM
I agree

Quoting MommytoangelE07: Aww men they don't get it.. Let's see what ladies say on here

Quoting kristen518-06: That's ok. Thanks!! I was telling my dh that I was going to ask the Dr about it and he just kept laughing. Kinda made me feel like I shouldn't

Libby22
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Do you have symptoms? PCOS is usually accompanied by crazy cycles (usually annovulatory), weight gain, facial hair, acne, sometimes pre-diabetes... 

gabbyttcgirl
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Your doctor will talk to you about your medical history, do a physical exam, and run some lab tests. You may also have an ultrasound scan of your pelvis.

Your doctor may ask you about changes in your weight, skin, hair, and menstrual cycle.

Be sure to mention whether you have lost hair from your scalp or have male-pattern facial or body hair.

physical exam checks your thyroid, skin, hair, breasts, and belly. You will have a blood pressure check and a pelvic exam to check for enlarged or abnormal ovaries.

Lab tests are also used to look for signs of PCOS.

high androgen level
High blood sugar
high lipid levels
Testosterone
Prolactin, which can play a part in a lack of menstrual cycles or infertility.
Cholesterol and triglycerides
A chemistry screen to check kidney and liver function hormone (TSH) to check for an overactive or underactive thyroid
Adrenal gland hormones
tolerance and insulin levels, which can show insulin resistance.

A pelvic ultrasound can show enlarged ovaries or more eggs than normal on the ovaries, which are signs of PCOS. But many women with PCOS do not have these signs.

kristen518-06
by Kristen :) on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:11 AM
I do. I have the awkward facial hair! (Hate it) and since I stopped birth control I've had a 59 day cycle and a couple in the 40 days and the others are anywhere from 27 to 35 days. And usually the only acne I get is before af. There are a ton of days though where I have to eat. I won't be hungry but will start to get shaky and sweaty and need to eat

Quoting Libby22:

Do you have symptoms? PCOS is usually accompanied by crazy cycles (usually annovulatory), weight gain, facial hair, acne, sometimes pre-diabetes... 

kristen518-06
by Kristen :) on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Ok thank you! So it's probably something i would have to make a separate appointment for?

Quoting gabbyttcgirl:

Your doctor will talk to you about your medical history, do a physical exam, and run some lab tests. You may also have an ultrasound scan of your pelvis.

Your doctor may ask you about changes in your weight, skin, hair, and menstrual cycle.

Be sure to mention whether you have lost hair from your scalp or have male-pattern facial or body hair.

physical exam checks your thyroid, skin, hair, breasts, and belly. You will have a blood pressure check and a pelvic exam to check for enlarged or abnormal ovaries.

high androgen level

High blood sugar

high lipid levels

Testosterone

A chemistry screen to check kidney and liver function hormone (TSH) to check for an overactive or underactive thyroid

Adrenal gland hormones

A pelvic ultrasound can show enlarged ovaries or more eggs than normal on the ovaries, which are signs of PCOS. But many women with PCOS do not have these signs.

gabbyttcgirl
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM

No you shouldn't have to this is pretty basic workup stuff just a script for blood work, some questions she asks you and IF she wanted to do a ultrasound that would more than likely be something you would do at a later date or a different office depending on your OB

Quoting kristen518-06: Ok thank you! So it's probably something i would have to make a separate appointment for?

Quoting gabbyttcgirl:

high androgen level

High blood sugar

high lipid levels

Testosterone

Adrenal gland hormones

kristen518-06
by Kristen :) on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:11 PM
Ok thanks for all the helpful info. I think I will def ask her about it tomorrow. I just don't want her to think I'm crazy for bringing it up out of nowhere but I guess that's what you gotta do if you want answers

Quoting gabbyttcgirl:

No you shouldn't have to this is pretty basic workup stuff just a script for blood work, some questions she asks you and IF she wanted to do a ultrasound that would more than likely be something you would do at a later date or a different office depending on your OB

Quoting kristen518-06: Ok thank you! So it's probably something i would have to make a separate appointment for?

Quoting gabbyttcgirl:

high androgen level

High blood sugar

high lipid levels

Testosterone

Adrenal gland hormones

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)