Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: Workout routine?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

So several years ago (2006-2010) I started to gain weight and was very unhealthy. I call that time period my "dark days", I was very depressed and found comfort in food. I started to become like a hermit because I was embarrassed of my appearance. I am barely 5'1" and was about 150 lbs at my top weight, which may not sound like much to some but on my small frame that's a lot of weight to carry around. I had gone up 4 sizes in clothes and I just didn't like myself very much. Well in 2010 I got a new job, met my husband, got some meds to deal with my depression and decided I was going to take charge of my life.

I joined the gym by my new employer and went there everyday at lunch and would run on the treadmill or around the inner harbor and I quickly started shedding the pounds. I also employed a smaller portions rule for myself. I know myself and I cannot restrict what I eat otherwise I will fail so instead I said I will eat whatever I want but just cut my usual portion in half. It worked amazingly well.

Long story short, I lost over 30 lbs and am in such a happier place than I was. Consistency and discipline are key and these days I don't feel right if I miss the gym or a run. Now I still run usually at least 5 miles at a time and a couple of times a week. I also have a weight training plan and hit the gym 4-5 days a week and I love it. I have what I refer to as a little german butt so I've been doing lots of squats to try and pump that booty up and it's amazing to see the results of hard work!

Sorry for the long spiel but tell me what you're workout routines are and what your goals are for a healthy lifestyle? 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
karaklett
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I lift heavy weights.
mommyof1262
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I was doing Bodypump at our gym until I found out I was pregnant back in October. Then we cancelled our membership because I just was too sick to go. I was still running at home but not running longer than 3 miles at a lower speed. After my miscarriage in Nov. I completely stopped doing anything until recently. I have began back to running 5-8 miles every other day. I also do KB's at home for weight training and I love it. I just need more motivation and energy. I have not been feeling well. Darn hormones!!

Nuggit222
by Chrissie on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:34 PM

That's awesome that you're back to it! I've never worked out with KBs as my gym doesn't have them but I've heard good things. I've also never gotten into classes other than yoga or spin class, I need to branch out and try them but I'm kind of intimidated.

Quoting mommyof1262:

I was doing Bodypump at our gym until I found out I was pregnant back in October. Then we cancelled our membership because I just was too sick to go. I was still running at home but not running longer than 3 miles at a lower speed. After my miscarriage in Nov. I completely stopped doing anything until recently. I have began back to running 5-8 miles every other day. I also do KB's at home for weight training and I love it. I just need more motivation and energy. I have not been feeling well. Darn hormones!!

Nuggit222
by Chrissie on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM

The heavier the better:) I don't know why but this made me think of the commercial where the bodybuilder says, "I pick things up, I put them down."

Quoting karaklett: I lift heavy weights.

karaklett
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Lol!! I was doing crossfit for a while but I hate the cardio aspect of it. I'm much happier doing my powerlifting routine and leaving.

Quoting Nuggit222:

The heavier the better:) I don't know why but this made me think of the commercial where the bodybuilder says, "I pick things up, I put them down."

Nuggit222
by Chrissie on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I haven't jumped on the crossfit bandwagon, I just can't get into it and like you I don't think I would like the cardio, the only cardio I do is running and that's more for mental health than anything. Lifting I absolutely love, going up in weight or reps, feeling stronger and seeing results is very rewarding. The only thing I still struggle with is my eating, I just love food (and wine) and at times I make really bad choices. I'm a work in progress though and I'll get there someday. It is also difficult living with a man who is 6'1", 210 lbs and lifts all the time so eats all the time, I have to remind myself that I shouldn't eat as much as him:)

Quoting karaklett: Lol!! I was doing crossfit for a while but I hate the cardio aspect of it. I'm much happier doing my powerlifting routine and leaving.

Quoting Nuggit222:

karaklett
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Yeah I struggle really bad with food addiction so I feel you on the eating!

Quoting Nuggit222:

I haven't jumped on the crossfit bandwagon, I just can't get into it and like you I don't think I would like the cardio, the only cardio I do is running and that's more for mental health than anything. Lifting I absolutely love, going up in weight or reps, feeling stronger and seeing results is very rewarding. The only thing I still struggle with is my eating, I just love food (and wine) and at times I make really bad choices. I'm a work in progress though and I'll get there someday. It is also difficult living with a man who is 6'1", 210 lbs and lifts all the time so eats all the time, I have to remind myself that I shouldn't eat as much as him:)

Quoting karaklett: Lol!! I was doing crossfit for a while but I hate the cardio aspect of it. I'm much happier doing my powerlifting routine and leaving.

Quoting Nuggit222:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)