Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IUI #2

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM
  • 12 Replies

My DH and I did our first IUI back in December and it was not successful. His sperm count post wash was 100,000 with 20% mobility so very low. But we may never have the money for IVF so we want to try IUI a few times at least. He is taking 3 different blends of fertail aid now. We did IUI #2 today and his sperm count was 5 million pre wash and 200,000 post wash with 20 mobility. So his post wash numbers doubled which is better but still low. I had my ultrasound monday and I had two follicules one at 15 mm and the other at 18 mm. They had me do the trigger shot 12 hours later and our IUI was 36 hours after the trigger. I can feel that I have ovulated from both ovaries. Hopefully this is successful. My DH was devastated when it didn't work especially since the negative was on christmas day. We had told all our family and everyone kept asking did it work? over and over and I think that made it worse. So we took a month off and are not telling anyone this round except my mom. That women can keep a secret. The rest can't.

If this round fails, DH is going to go to an independent reprodutive urologist outside of the fertility clinic. Pretty much since day one they have pushing us towards IVF with ICSI but it seems ( at least to us) that little has been done to figure out why he has the low counts. They did an SA and tested his hormones and testosterone. His hormones are normal but we never got his testosterone results. We both want to rule out other possibilities before even considering IVF. I already have two kids from my first marriage and at 32 I don't want to be adding debt to what I am already paying off.

So, here is to hoping this round worked and that these 2 weeks fly by.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
esrmommy
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Baby dust to you! Hope this round works! My BIL had the same problem with low sperm count, and it turned out to be a medication he was taking. I hope you find your answers!

Nicolettaz
by Nicole on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:06 PM
I just had my 7th iui this morning.
2 out of the 7 worked but lost the
Pregnancies early. But my DH had low sperm count also and I have PCOS. So I feel ya . I pray this two weeks go by fast for you .

Fx that you get your bfp this month
tsdaughe
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:09 PM

My DH is 38 and has known for at least 10 years (even prior to me and in his first marriage) that he has low sperm count. When he initially got diagnosed he lived in a small area with poor medical in the area and his insurance didn't cover anything. He is on my insurance now which covers all testing and any treatment. He has smoked many many years and is on chantix to quit so has cut back a lot. I hope that helps. Any medications he is on now are recent so wouldn't explain the years of this issue. He did live a pretty wild life back is his young years so he may have done some damage and he had a few injuries/blows to the private area at work. I just hope it works. He is an amazing father figure to my children and pretty much raised his siblings and a niece.

tsdaughe
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Do you remember the sperm count of the cycles that worked? i hope this one works for you.

Quoting Nicolettaz: I just had my 7th iui this morning.
Pregnancies early. But my DH had low sperm count also and I have PCOS. So I feel ya . I pray this two weeks go by fast for you .

Nicolettaz
by Nicole on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:19 PM
His sperm count was around 10million.
But we do a double iui.

For example I had my iui this morning and his count was 5million post wash and I'm also going in tomorrow morning too for another iui and hopefully his count will be the
Same or more.

Thank u I hope so

Quoting tsdaughe:

Do you remember the sperm count of the cycles that worked? i hope this one works for you.

Quoting Nicolettaz: I just had my 7th iui this morning.

Nicolettaz
by Nicole on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:36 PM
But it only takes one to work !!!
tsdaughe
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Very true. Did your DH get any treatment for his sperm count? or take anything to improve it?

Quoting Nicolettaz: But it only takes one to work !!!

Nicolettaz
by Nicole on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:49 PM
He has been trying to cut back on his smoking . At one point it was really bad and he was up to 2 packs a day. He has cut back a lot so that has helped. But that's about it .

Quoting tsdaughe:

Very true. Did your DH get any treatment for his sperm count? or take anything to improve it?

Quoting Nicolettaz: But it only takes one to work !!!

vkp23
by Virginia on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Good luck, prayers and baby dust!  I'm sorry you're having a hard time ttc. Has he tried taking zinc?  Idk what it does for quality but it's supposed to help with volume at least. Fx for you!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:52 PM

There are IVF grants. You do have to pay a $50 application fee but if you are picked they give you $10,000 to use towards any clinic of your choice. Ive been through 3 IVFs and will probably be doing a 4th, so if you have any questions feel free to send me a message. Good luck :)

link for ivf grants

http://www.resolve.org/family-building-options/insurance_coverage/infertility-treatment-grants-and-scholarships.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)