Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Supplements?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:45 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hey ladies -

I posted a few days ago about getting my thyroid levels retested, as well as the outcome of that...that my doctor is refusing to put me back on the levothyroxine despite my levels still being off (hypothyroidism). I'm in the process of losing weight (I've dropped about 30lbs so far, and finally got under 200. With the nice weather here in WI, I'm hoping to FINALLY be able to get out and about more!) - but I am also looking at supplements for ttc. We've been trying for almost 8 months to get pregnant, with no luck besides a miscarriage back in September - not normal for me, and my cycles have been all over the place...and my dr doesn't seem to think this is an issue.

Anyways, determined to get myself back into shape and to get myself some semblance of healthy again, I've decided to start taking a multivitamin (technically it's a Prenatal Multivitamin with DHA & Folic Acid) ; and I also found a Thyroid supplement (Pure Health Thyroid 5; it has 5 star reviews, and contains Bladderwrack, Selenium, L-Tyrosine, and Kelp).

I was just wondering what anyone else takes on a daily basis to help with TTC, and overall health? I'm looking at possibly ordering a bottle of Soy Isoflavones as well, depending on what sort of replies I get.

Can it wait for a bit? I'm in the middle of some calibrations.
Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acclbentz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:38 AM

BUMP!

ElloOu
by Jessica on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:45 AM
I also have hypothyroidism. I asked my doc if we should up the levels of my meds, and he said I should be fine. I take 125mcg a day for now...Will test again after a bfp and go from there. I also take the prenatals with dha and folic acid. I am confused why your doc wouldn't want you to take your meds..but the thyroid supplement you noted seems like a good idea. We don't really need levothyroxine, we just need things that will activate our thyroid..iodine in foods, etc.
abharper
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Both times I got pregnant (miscarriage and sticky bean) I took vitex 2x daily, maca root every morning and progesterone cream. I also have thyroid issues and they didnt listen until I got pregnant. It all worked 1st month each time and I felt great. I lost 70 pounds in the past and I learned your hormones actually dont lke big changes lol. Good luck
acclbentz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:00 AM

My levels this time were apparently better than the first time they tested last year...that's why. She said that because they're not as bad, she doesn't think I need them. I'm switching doctors as soon as I can...or rather, health systems. I liked my doctor for the first few years, but now it seems to me like she's just not paying any attention to the issues that I'm bringing up. Just not too happy with her anymore, unfortunately. I think I was only on 40mcg? It was a very, very low dosage. But it helped. The symptoms I was having were lessening up while I was on the meds.

I'm hoping that the Thyroid supplement will help though, too. So we'll see if it works! Should have it within the next week or so, along with my multivitamin, and I just ordered some Soy Isoflavones. 

Quoting ElloOu: I also have hypothyroidism. I asked my doc if we should up the levels of my meds, and he said I should be fine. I take 125mcg a day for now...Will test again after a bfp and go from there. I also take the prenatals with dha and folic acid. I am confused why your doc wouldn't want you to take your meds..but the thyroid supplement you noted seems like a good idea. We don't really need levothyroxine, we just need things that will activate our thyroid..iodine in foods, etc.

Can it wait for a bit? I'm in the middle of some calibrations.
Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
ElloOu
by Jessica on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, ok. That's good that you only need 40mcg..now I feel like I'm super abnormal, haha ;) Hope you can find a doctor that will at least take some interest in your concerns, I mean it IS your body and all.

Oh, and be careful with soy-based products, they are known to have a negative impact particularly on women with hypothyroidism. Gl! :D

Quoting acclbentz:

My levels this time were apparently better than the first time they tested last year...that's why. She said that because they're not as bad, she doesn't think I need them. I'm switching doctors as soon as I can...or rather, health systems. I liked my doctor for the first few years, but now it seems to me like she's just not paying any attention to the issues that I'm bringing up. Just not too happy with her anymore, unfortunately. I think I was only on 40mcg? It was a very, very low dosage. But it helped. The symptoms I was having were lessening up while I was on the meds.I'm hoping that the Thyroid supplement will help though, too. So we'll see if it works! Should have it within the next week or so, along with my multivitamin, and I just ordered some Soy Isoflavones. 

Quoting ElloOu: I also have hypothyroidism. I asked my doc if we should up the levels of my meds, and he said I should be fine. I take 125mcg a day for now...Will test again after a bfp and go from there. I also take the prenatals with dha and folic acid. I am confused why your doc wouldn't want you to take your meds..but the thyroid supplement you noted seems like a good idea. We don't really need levothyroxine, we just need things that will activate our thyroid..iodine in foods, etc.

acclbentz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:18 AM

BUMP!

acclbentz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM

BUMP!

acclbentz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM

BUMP!

DixonBabies
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I take prenatal with the dha pill that comes with it, and b6 as of right now

lockedtite
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I also have hypothyroidism and I'm on 60mg of amor thyroid... More natural... I to have been ttc for almost 3 yrs.. Hope we all get our sticky bean ... GL
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN