Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Recent breast cancer survivor, TTC at 33: confused about O

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:02 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am 33 - a recent early stage breast cancer survivor.  After duly following an oncologist's recommendation to wait for 6 months post surgeries, I decided to start trying. I've never been pregnant before and, suppose, starting at 33 for the first time I may have to try hard. Only last April (2013) when I was going through all the medical issues, I found out I am highly estrogen dominant with numbers at least 4 times higher of the spectrum's max. 

So I've purchased ovulation tests and started testing CD12 and on. While I had all physical symptoms (CM, mood swings, pulling in the left side of pelvic) on days 14-17, the test did not turn positive until CD18. On CD 16, I've had a light pink spotting, which concerns me since I never had this before. Also, what worries me is that O test stays positive for the 6th day already (since March 21). My menses are due in 4 days, but O test still shows positive. 

I keep reading online and they state two possible reasons for such a phenomenon: (1) symptoms of PCOS; and (2) possible pregnancy

Given my BRCA+ status, I am now under a close watch by an onco OBGYN who's checking my ovaries every six months with pelvic and intravaginal sonogram. I've last had it 3 months ago and, thank God, all was normal. My periods have been always intact. So I really want to eliminate the possibility of PCOS, however do worry since my sister has had that and endometriosis stage III. She's been TTC for abotu 10 years now, but unsuccessfully. 

I'd appreciate advice and guidance of more knowledgeable and experienced ladies here. I do not want to run and see my OBGYN as I am so depleted and tired of all the doctor visits in the last year. I also do feel hypochondriac with everything that has happened to me recently. I want to hope it is pregnancy, but does anyone think otherwise?

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vkp23
by Virginia on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

First, congrats on beating cancer!  Second, I know you're tired of doctors, I would be too, but it would be worth it to have all the blood work to confirm if you have pcos or some other. Hormonal issue that would prevent good, timely ovulation. The treatment for pcos is pretty easy. Just have to take metformin. Maybe clomid. So once it's diagnosed, you wouldn't have to go through much to treat it. But you'd have to get it diagnosed first. :/ I have pcos so I feel you on that. It you think it might be pregnancy then I would test. Either way good luck and baby dust!

childfriendly33
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Thank you for responding. But I do not have issues with my periods, which I know is the first sign of PCOS. Mine are pretty regular within 23-28 day cycle. 

Since you have it, could you please share what were your initial symptoms? Would intravaginal and pelvic sonogram detect it? As I told above, I have these done regularly and the last done 3 months ago showed all normal

Quoting vkp23:

First, congrats on beating cancer!  Second, I know you're tired of doctors, I would be too, but it would be worth it to have all the blood work to confirm if you have pcos or some other. Hormonal issue that would prevent good, timely ovulation. The treatment for pcos is pretty easy. Just have to take metformin. Maybe clomid. So once it's diagnosed, you wouldn't have to go through much to treat it. But you'd have to get it diagnosed first. :/ I have pcos so I feel you on that. It you think it might be pregnancy then I would test. Either way good luck and baby dust!

vkp23
by Virginia on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting childfriendly33:

Thank you for responding. But I do not have issues with my periods, which I know is the first sign of PCOS. Mine are pretty regular within 23-28 day cycle. 

Since you have it, could you please share what were your initial symptoms? Would intravaginal and pelvic sonogram detect it? As I told above, I have these done regularly and the last done 3 months ago showed all normal

Quoting vkp23:

The problem with using just transvaginal ultrasound to diagnose pcos it that you don't always have cysts. (And believe it or not you can have regular periods though they are more likely breakthrough bleeding caused by estrogen, they are just being mistaken as a period.  I've mistaken breakthrough bleeding for a period before. The only reason I knew it wasn't a period and only breakthrough bleeding was because I was charting and I had no confirmed ovulation. You only have a real period after ovulation. But being estrogen dominant can cause you to bleed and it can be shockingly regular) but about the ultrasounds, I went in one time and had one done. Had a few small cysts. The next time I went in I didn't have any cysts. Then another time I went in they for 15 cysts on my left ovary alone. They couldn't find my right one for some reason.

personally for me my very first symptom would be when my periods started when I was 12. I was never regular. Didn't really notice anything could really be wrong until I got married and became sexually active and we started ttc. It took a year of actively trying to get pregnant. At the time I didn't know anything about pcos. I had never heard of it. I happened to see an episode of mystery diagnosis and pcos was featured. Then I realized I had the same symptoms. Dark patches of skin on the underarms and crooks of my legs, skin tags, over weight with trouble losing it, and facial hair issues. I wasn't able to get it actually diagnosed until after my second baby. (Which took a year and a half to get pregnant that time.) the way it's diagnosed is with a full blood hormone work up. They check everything from you glucose levels, insulin, FSH, lh and a bunch of others. They said that there isn't one test that checked for pcos, it's a combination of off hormone levels that point to pcos. Checking for cysts is one way to look for it but you don't always have cysts, all the time. 

Do you happen to chart your temps and use opks?  If you don't I would suggest starting. It would tell you if you're actually ovulating. (Don't try to base it on opks alone because you can have a surge and not ovulate still) charting your temps is a good place to start if you'd like to avoid going to the doc just yet. In fact, it would be a pretty good middle ground to start charting and keep charting until your next check. If you are showing no ovulation or not ovulating properly or often then you would have something to take to your doc when you're checked for them to look at and see if they should run some blood work. You can check out fertility friend. It's free to use the basic membership and when you sign up you can choose to have the training course sent to your email (it's free too) and it will teach you all about charting. you can even download the app to your phone or tablet too. I use it on my iPad. 

After ers my middle child (the first and second were both c-sections I found out later were unnesisary) my pcos went completely nuts. My cycles were 5-10 weeks long with periods that were 2-5 weeks long. It took 3.5 years to get pregnant with my son. By that point I had educated myself on VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section) and found a doctor 2 hours away that is well known for VBAC. I had a natural birth with him (no induction or anything) and going through a natural birth like hit a reset button. My periods have never been more normal. It didn't fix it. I still have pcos and issues from it. Now my problem is too late ovulation and I'm having trouble staying pregnant. I just had my second early miscarriage in a row. (I see my doctor tomorrow for testing and forming a plan of action to prevent another miscarraige). My main point though is, it is hard to get pregnant with pcos, but it isn't impossible. My husband and I have been married for 11 years this coming Monday and 6 years and 8 months of our marriage has been spent ttc in total. I've gotten pregnant a total of 5 times with pcos (three living children to show for it) so it can be done. I hope I was able to answer some of your questions and was able to help. I wish you all the luck and prayers in the world. And for your sister. For everything you've been through you both deserve your mericale babies!  Hugs!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

vkp23
by Virginia on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:18 PM

I want to add too you don't always have the classic symptoms. I have known and heard of women who were thin and had none of the other symptoms but still had pcos. 

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

First I wanna say I am so sorry you went through so much but I am so happy to read you have beaten cancer :) As far as the bleeding, it could also be due to having low progesterone. That is a very common cause, also ovulation can cause bleeding as well. I have never had ovulation bleeding but a lot of ladies on here has. I know most gynos will not do anything testing unless you have been ttc for at least a year but they may go ahead and run test on you. It wouldnt hurt to ask. When asking for the test, ask for your hormones to be checked, an HSG to make sure your tubes are open and for your husband's semen to be tested. When they check your hormones, make sure they check your AMH and FSH. A lot of clinics will only check one or the other but both are very important. I seen where you are using ovulation test, have you thought about charting your temps also for ovulation? If not, it would probably be a good idea to, so you can take the charts to your gyno and let them look over them. You can go to fertilityfriend.com and it will teach you how to chart. If you are interested in taking fertility aids let me know and I will give you the link to a company that sells a lot of good products. Good luck and I hope to be reading about your bfp soon :)

tluvsd2
by TONI on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I JUST WANT TO SAY CONGRATS FOR BEATN THAT CANCER AND I WANT TO WISH U ALL THE BABY DUST N THE WORLD!😊
childfriendly33
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Dear vkp23, thanks a lot for the very helpful intro to PCOS. I will still hope it is not my case, unless the symptoms get more vivid. I had my first menses at the age of 11. My periods do look very normal, not just breakthrough, although who knows. I was never overwight or anything staying under 110 lb till age 30. I've gained some weight after getting married and am 118lb now. Since it's the first time trying, I am just learning about this whole fertility issue. I've never knew what BBT was until yesterday. So I've started charting it for 2 days only with the ovufriend.com and also on my iphone app. Down the road, I'll share what I find.

I've figured out today (reading here the ttc prime post) that I was testing wrong, i.e. on first morning urine, which is not recommended. I should have tested on a later in a day one. Maybe that was the case? 

I wonder if any of the supplements I am on maybe the case? I take the DIM (estrogen metabolizer), calcium + zinc + magnezium, vit B complex, fish oil and vit D. 

I run CBC (complete blood count) tests regularly in addition to the CA 125 (if I remember it correct, that is to watch for ovarian cancer) and thus far all was pretty normal except for the high estrogen and vit D deficiency.

@hypnautica - thank you for your responsiveness. In February, my progesterone was pretty much normal and I can look up for a specific number later on.

@tluvsd2 - Thanks much!

childfriendly33
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Re spotting mid cycle - I thought so too at first, however O test showed negative that particular day and those before and after it. My test only came positive 6 days after that mid cycle spotting. 

Is it ok to share an OP test chart here? I could show the results of my tests.

Quoting hypnautica:

First I wanna say I am so sorry you went through so much but I am so happy to read you have beaten cancer :) As far as the bleeding, it could also be due to having low progesterone. That is a very common cause, also ovulation can cause bleeding as well. I have never had ovulation bleeding but a lot of ladies on here has. I know most gynos will not do anything testing unless you have been ttc for at least a year but they may go ahead and run test on you. It wouldnt hurt to ask. When asking for the test, ask for your hormones to be checked, an HSG to make sure your tubes are open and for your husband's semen to be tested. When they check your hormones, make sure they check your AMH and FSH. A lot of clinics will only check one or the other but both are very important. I seen where you are using ovulation test, have you thought about charting your temps also for ovulation? If not, it would probably be a good idea to, so you can take the charts to your gyno and let them look over them. You can go to fertilityfriend.com and it will teach you how to chart. If you are interested in taking fertility aids let me know and I will give you the link to a company that sells a lot of good products. Good luck and I hope to be reading about your bfp soon :)

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Anything and everything has been shared on here, so your chart is fine being shared.

childfriendly33
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I shared this and (perhaps, the following was a mistake) a pink spotting picture on another pregnancy website, and ladies attacked me the meanest way, cursing and chasing away from their site saying it was too gross. I thought thematic websites should be fine sharing such pictures since people come there to find answers to their worries. Now, making sure it is appropriate here :)

Here is the chart with misleading results. As I said, all physical symptoms of O were on Mar 15th with a pink spotting to follow on Mar 16th. But test results showed positive only 6 days after and is doing so since.

PS: Do not know what's wrong with the picture flipping to the left after upload.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)