Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Next step Metformin or Clomid?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:24 AM
  • 19 Replies
Hey everyone! So I posted in other groups but this is a whole new topic so here goes nothing. I have been speaking with my Dr. About the next steps because we just want that + already! Been off BC yaz since June of 2013 and am having extremely irregular periods. 70 days was my longest wait and 55 is avg. making it pretty difficult to conceive. I'll be 25 next week and was praying for this to finally be the month. So onto the help I need. I had all bloodwork done everything was normal and had a pelvic ultrasound too Dr. Said she saw maybe the slightest bit of PCO but kind of didn't say much after. I am 5'4 125lbs very active 4-5 days a week working out. I brought up the idea of Clomid but I am so afraid of the chance of mc. Getting pregnant has been emotional enough. don't think we could handle mc possibility. Does anyone know much about Metformin? Or any other medications you can think can help us. Any advice would be great!! Thanks guys for your input!
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brittanys361
by Brittany on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:32 AM
I am currently taking metformin and my dr is putting me on clomid next cycle along with a pill to help not mc if we get pregnant. I was told the metformin was to help regulate your periods. And Clomid to drop your eggs. So far I been on metformin one month and currently waiting my second cycle to start any day now.
shopper4
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Thanks for responding. Do you have any side effects? Did your dr tell you aproxamitley how long it should take to conceive with both of these meds?

Quoting Brittanys361: I am currently taking metformin and my dr is putting me on clomid next cycle along with a pill to help not mc if we get pregnant. I was told the metformin was to help regulate your periods. And Clomid to drop your eggs. So far I been on metformin one month and currently waiting my second cycle to start any day now.
Brittanys361
by Brittany on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Right now the only thing is using the bathroom a lot. And its not peeing. ... at first it made me sleepy because my body wasn't used to the hormones I was getting. My dr wants me pregnant before June. So I hope on my first round of Clomid I get pregnant.
Jessicaann2001
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this
With my son I was in metformin for a few months and still wasn't ovulating. I then went on clomid and it worked first round. Metformin is to help open up your cells (drs words not mine) and help regulate hormones. Clomid is for releasing the egg. I stayed on metformin for the first trimester and then got off. I wasn't scared of a miscarriage bc of the clomid but did wait a bit bc the thought if multiples scared the crap out of me. Good luck!
vkp23
by Virginia on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

The main side effect people complain about is diarrhea. My doc recently put me back on metformin and at a slightly higher dose than what I was taking before and it's the extended release. Yeah the first day or so I was spending a lot of time in the bathroom. But it leveled off and I'm not having that problem now. 

One of the biggest misconceptions about pcos is that all women with pcos are over weight. This is not true. There are a lot of thin active women that have pcos also. There are women who have none of the classic symptoms and still have the condition. They can even still have what appears to be a regular perid. Working out and what not will help, but no where near as effectively as treating it with the medications. If you get pregnant while taking metformin, staying on it will help prevent miscarraige. If you have even mild pcos, the metformin will helps greatly with ttc and maintaining pregnancy because it helps to regulate your hormone. 

keelee76
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:20 AM
3 moms liked this
I was on metformin lost 15pounds I was on it for six months and this month I did Clomid and a trigger and got my bfp.. GL
Brittanys361
by Brittany on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:24 AM
That worries me too... and twins run in the family.

Quoting Jessicaann2001: With my son I was in metformin for a few months and still wasn't ovulating. I then went on clomid and it worked first round. Metformin is to help open up your cells (drs words not mine) and help regulate hormones. Clomid is for releasing the egg. I stayed on metformin for the first trimester and then got off. I wasn't scared of a miscarriage bc of the clomid but did wait a bit bc the thought if multiples scared the crap out of me. Good luck!
Jessicaann2001
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:30 PM
I would be extra nervous then! My drs kept reassuring me that they only had 2 cases if multiples while using clomid.

Quoting Brittanys361: That worries me too... and twins run in the family.

Quoting Jessicaann2001: With my son I was in metformin for a few months and still wasn't ovulating. I then went on clomid and it worked first round. Metformin is to help open up your cells (drs words not mine) and help regulate hormones. Clomid is for releasing the egg. I stayed on metformin for the first trimester and then got off. I wasn't scared of a miscarriage bc of the clomid but did wait a bit bc the thought if multiples scared the crap out of me. Good luck!
Brittanys361
by Brittany on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:34 PM
To be honest at this point we dont care if we do get twins haha

Quoting Jessicaann2001: I would be extra nervous then! My drs kept reassuring me that they only had 2 cases if multiples while using clomid.

Jessicaann2001
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:40 PM
2 for the price of 1 :)
Good luck!

Quoting Brittanys361: To be honest at this point we dont care if we do get twins haha

Quoting Jessicaann2001: I would be extra nervous then! My drs kept reassuring me that they only had 2 cases if multiples while using clomid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)