Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sperm Retrieval

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:35 PM
  • 22 Replies

UPDATE: I called the urologist and they said they do not do them in their office but we would have to make an appointment with them and they would refer us to someone who can.. seems odd to me but whatever it takes to get the process started Im for! 

Do we go to a urologist or a fertility doctor to get this done? I am going to call tomorrow to get more information but Im not sure who to call! Thanks for any help! :)

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hypnautica
by Jennifer on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Do you mean a semen analysis?

pinkmommy3
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:55 PM

no.. sperm retrieval.. My husband had a vasectomy and I looked up our options and it basically said either a reversal or they can do a sperm retrieval where they take a needle and extract semen and then they do IUI... I just am not sure if I should call a fertility clinic (where IUIs are done) or if they do it at a urologist (where reversals are done) :/ 

Lmallonee
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:56 PM
I would say go through your obgyn first .. Most REs you need a referral.

Quoting pinkmommy3:

no.. sperm retrieval.. My husband had a vasectomy and I looked up our options and it basically said either a reversal or they can do a sperm retrieval where they take a needle and extract semen and then they do IUI... I just am not sure if I should call a fertility clinic (where IUIs are done) or if they do it at a urologist (where reversals are done) :/ 

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:59 PM

A urologist will need to do it. The procedures are called TESA/PESA/MESA. My husband had TESA done and they take multiple samples from both testicals but it wasnt due to a vasectomy.

pinkmommy3
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Can you get a referral if you are not having fertility issues per say?.. just have to do something since he had a vasectomy a few years ago.. We were planning on paying cash for the procedure since Im guessing insurance isnt going to cover this type of procedure

Quoting Lmallonee: I would say go through your obgyn first .. Most REs you need a referral.
Quoting pinkmommy3:

pinkmommy3
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Did they give it to you to take to a fertility place to get the IUI or how does that work? and are they able to freeze some in case it doesnt work the first time? Thank you so much for the information! :)

Quoting hypnautica:

A urologist will need to do it. The procedures are called TESA/PESA/MESA. My husband had TESA done and they take multiple samples from both testicals but it wasnt due to a vasectomy.

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:06 PM

I was getting IVF done and the morning I went in to get my eggs removed, the urologist came into the clinic and done the procedure during that time. I didnt bother asking if they could freeze it but im sure they can. So im guessing since you are getting an IUI done, they will have him go in that morning and the urologist will get him ready and do the procedure and have you either come in a little later that day or they may go ahead and do it soon after his procedure.

pinkmommy3
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Thank you so much again for the information (and sorry for so many questions! Im having a hard time finding answers)!! Did you have a hard time finding a urologist that does these? I looked on the website for a local urologist and they list reversals but not this procedure.. It seems like its less complicated than a reversal though so possibly they just didnt list all their services? I'm really excited now to hear someone else has done it! I just found this recently since we were pretty set on getting the reversal but this seems much less invasive and with less complications.. as well as not too bad for the recovery :)

Quoting hypnautica:

I was getting IVF done and the morning I went in to get my eggs removed, the urologist came into the clinic and done the procedure during that time. I didnt bother asking if they could freeze it but im sure they can. So im guessing since you are getting an IUI done, they will have him go in that morning and the urologist will get him ready and do the procedure and have you either come in a little later that day or they may go ahead and do it soon after his procedure.

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

You can call and ask them if they will do it without the clinic doing the IUI calling them. The best thing to do, would be to ask the clinic doing the IUI who they recommend. The clinic who done our IVF told us what doctors in the area that does those procedures.

tryingfor7
by Amber on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Did TESA cost a lot???

Quoting hypnautica:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)