Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

folistim for dummies? the dummy being me :-)

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM
  • 15 Replies
Im researching folistim as thats our next step inJune. But I dont understand how it works differently than Clomid for me with regular ovulation and unexplained if. Can someone walk me through this? If not a bump or a prayer would be appreciated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
storkneedsgps
by RoseTyler on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
storkneedsgps
by RoseTyler on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Thanks for featuring me dear admin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Is this where they do the hcg shot to trigger ovulation?  If so, my OB said he wanted to do that w me because it made it a stronger ovulation & would give me a higher progesterone level.  You usually O 36-48 hours after the shot.  They will do a vaginal u/s to see how big the follicles are since they need to be 18-20 mm (depends on the doc) in order to be triggered.

JacknJill
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Clomid tells the hormone in your brain to create bigger follicles. Follistim however skips the whole tell the brain thing and just tells the ovary to create the follies. MUCH more powerful. I did three rounds of clomid at a high dose and never produced follicles. I got pregnant with twins my first round of follistim. I created 16 follicles all over 10mm.
JacknJill
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Yes after a lot of monitoring, at some point you are told to take the trigger shot.

Quoting GwenMB:

Is this where they do the hcg shot to trigger ovulation?  If so, my OB said he wanted to do that w me because it made it a stronger ovulation & would give me a higher progesterone level.  You usually O 36-48 hours after the shot.  They will do a vaginal u/s to see how big the follicles are since they need to be 18-20 mm (depends on the doc) in order to be triggered.

storkneedsgps
by RoseTyler on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM
No thats the trigger

Quoting GwenMB:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:31 PM

i did a few cycles and didn't get pregnant, I hyperstimulated (too many eggs for them to safely do the HCG trigger shot, they were worried about having a litter, instead of a baby!) and didn't ahve the 10-13k to switch over to IVF to compensate for how many follicles I had.

By the time they figured out how to grow less then 4-5 eggs with it in my ovaries, the growth process took so long, the eggs that released probably were too deterioated to take... since it took almost a month to grow follicles with careful manipulation and scans. I wasted 4-5k per cycle with follistrum and I should have just saved up for IVF and skipped it.

I never had 20k sitting there in one bunch for IVF though. stupid me.

what i would recommend is think carefully about this. If you have unexplained infertility, but you ovulate, I would wonder what would make multiple eggs more likely to implant if something is preventing things from working correctly to begin with.

I would be less concerned about the egg situation and ovulation and more about trying to figure out WHY the egg isn't getting from point A to point B and implanting.

I'm sure you've probably done FSH, and sperm checks, ruled out tube issues... but have they scoped your uterus to check lining thickness and possible issues with implantation hormones that could be the key to figuring this out?

I wouldn't be adverse to trying 1 or 2 cycles with follustrim, but be prepared to hyperstimulate.

storkneedsgps
by RoseTyler on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, weve done all of that.

I can do a cycle of folistim for about 1350 dollars so Im going to try it atleast once just so I know. I wont try more than twice. I dont know if I will do ivf so after that would be adoption.

Quoting kajira:

i did a few cycles and didn't get pregnant, I hyperstimulated (too many eggs for them to safely do the HCG trigger shot, they were worried about having a litter, instead of a baby!) and didn't ahve the 10-13k to switch over to IVF to compensate for how many follicles I had.

By the time they figured out how to grow less then 4-5 eggs with it in my ovaries, the growth process took so long, the eggs that released probably were too deterioated to take... since it took almost a month to grow follicles with careful manipulation and scans. I wasted 4-5k per cycle with follistrum and I should have just saved up for IVF and skipped it.

I never had 20k sitting there in one bunch for IVF though. stupid me.

what i would recommend is think carefully about this. If you have unexplained infertility, but you ovulate, I would wonder what would make multiple eggs more likely to implant if something is preventing things from working correctly to begin with.

I would be less concerned about the egg situation and ovulation and more about trying to figure out WHY the egg isn't getting from point A to point B and implanting.

I'm sure you've probably done FSH, and sperm checks, ruled out tube issues... but have they scoped your uterus to check lining thickness and possible issues with implantation hormones that could be the key to figuring this out?

I wouldn't be adverse to trying 1 or 2 cycles with follustrim, but be prepared to hyperstimulate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
storkneedsgps
by RoseTyler on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Wow, 16 sounds kind of scary.

Quoting JacknJill: Clomid tells the hormone in your brain to create bigger follicles. Follistim however skips the whole tell the brain thing and just tells the ovary to create the follies. MUCH more powerful. I did three rounds of clomid at a high dose and never produced follicles. I got pregnant with twins my first round of follistim. I created 16 follicles all over 10mm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JacknJill
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM
It was crazy. I had mild hyper stimulation . He said he was going to cancel that cycle but the nurse had already called and told me to trigger. And I did. But now I'm glad he didn't cancel it. But if I didn't conceive that cycle I would not have done another round because of how many I produced.

Quoting storkneedsgps: Wow, 16 sounds kind of scary.

Quoting JacknJill: Clomid tells the hormone in your brain to create bigger follicles. Follistim however skips the whole tell the brain thing and just tells the ovary to create the follies. MUCH more powerful. I did three rounds of clomid at a high dose and never produced follicles. I got pregnant with twins my first round of follistim. I created 16 follicles all over 10mm.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN