Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celiac Awareness Month

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM
  • 2 Replies
1 mom liked this

May is Celiac Awareness Month

Celiacs affects 1 in 133, many of them are undiagnosed.  I think only 1 in 5 Celiacs are diagnosed.  Part of the problem is that there are so many possible symptoms - and some of the symptoms are contradictory.  For example, weight loss & diahrrea can be symptoms, but so can weight gain & constipation.

One of the big symptoms of Celiacs is infertility & repeated miscarriages.  When you understand what having Celiacs does to your body - it makes a lot of sense.  If you have Celiacs & eat gluten (which is in wheat, rye & barley), it damages the villi in your intestine & makes it impossible to absorb nutrients.  If you can't absorb nutrients, how can you possibly sustain a pregnancy?

One common misconception about Celiacs is that you have it from birth. That isn't true.  You need 3 things to get Celiacs - the gene, to be eating gluten, and something that triggers it.  The triggers can be stress, a severe illness, pregnancy (to name a few).

The good thing about Celiacs is that, once you are diagnosed, you just have to eat a gluten free diet & you'll be fine.  I've had two babies since my diagnosis - both pregnancies were easy.

If you are struggling with infertility or m/c, I would strongly encourage you to get tested for Celiacs.  It starts with a simple blood test.  If that's positive, then you need a biopsy of your small intestine - but even that is a relatively simple procedure.  You are put under, but for such a short time that you can be up & about your business very quickly afterward.

Feel free to ask any questions - I know there are a few of us Celiacs in this group.

October is Celiac Awareness Month - undiagnosed Celiac disease is a risk factor for miscarriages & a cause of unexplained infertility. Only 1 out of every 5-6 people with Celiacs have been diagnosed.  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (44) David (56) Augie (6.5) Alex (5)

by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Bump

GwenMB
by Gwen on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)