Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Clomid... when is it prescribed?

Posted by on May. 19, 2014 at 8:54 AM
  • 15 Replies
Just curious about when is clomid prescribed? Ive been ttcing 5 years and not had it offered as an option... perhaps i dont meet the criteria for it. Just wondering...
by on May. 19, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamatink7
by Franceska on May. 19, 2014 at 9:36 AM

how old are you and dh? what has your OB/ RE said about your TTC for so long? 

we have been over 2 1/2yrs went to OB Feb and she was concerned so told me point of action she would take with us: labs, u/s, then biopsy, started metformin & prenatals, had hsg started clomid beginning of this cycle (next round clomid waiting till af shows/ no show wahoo). we will not do infertility dr as insurance doesnt cover those dr's. she was planning being done and referring us to RE after 3 rounds clomid (due to age and length of TTC but she will do everything she can do to make it happen. 

if i were you, i would make an appt specifically to discuss future options with her. instead it seems as though she doesnt put you at risk or need for it-most  of tme any time over 1 yr ob starts lookng into more options to get pregnant.

Good luck with baby dust. 

.sp4rkl3z.
by Meredith on May. 19, 2014 at 9:38 AM
I was offered clomid after back to back miscarriages even though I have no problem getting pregnant, just staying pregnant apparently :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Necie72
by on May. 19, 2014 at 9:50 AM

It was discussed with me during my first discussion with my OB about TTC...  We were trying for number 2 and it had been a few months.  I had told him about my cycles for the last 6 months and he said it sounded like an ovulation issue.  He told me to try OPKs and he gave me the paperwork to do bloodwork prior to prescribing it.  He wanted to check my hormone levels.  Well, that next cycle, day 3 was a bad weather day (you have to do the bloodwork on CD3), so I didn't go.  I figured we'd try again on our own that month and it still didn't work.  My doc gave me new paperwork, so it wouldn't be so out of date, but that next cycle, I got my BFP.  It was mentioned to me because we were TTC #2 and we're 41, almost 42, so he wanted to be able to help us along quickly.  I think anywhere after a year, doctors will step in if you ask.

mrsprecise
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM
We did metformin, SA, and an hsg & they recommended iui next. Which wont be covered.

Im over all of this smh

Quoting mamatink7:

we have been over 2 1/2yrs went to OB Feb and she was concerned so told me point of action she would take with us: labs, u/s, then biopsy, started metformin & prenatals, had hsg started clomid beginning of this cycle (next round clomid waiting till af shows/ no show wahoo). we will not do infertility dr as insurance doesnt cover those dr's. she was planning being done and referring us to RE after 3 rounds clomid (due to age and length of TTC but she will do everything she can do to make it happen. 

if i were you, i would make an appt specifically to discuss future options with her. instead it seems as though she doesnt put you at risk or need for it-most  of tme any time over 1 yr ob starts lookng into more options to get pregnant.

mrsprecise
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Im 34 and dh is 31... im going to bring it up at my next obgyn appt

Quoting Necie72:

It was discussed with me during my first discussion with my OB about TTC...  We were trying for number 2 and it had been a few months.  I had told him about my cycles for the last 6 months and he said it sounded like an ovulation issue.  He told me to try OPKs and he gave me the paperwork to do bloodwork prior to prescribing it.  He wanted to check my hormone levels.  Well, that next cycle, day 3 was a bad weather day (you have to do the bloodwork on CD3), so I didn't go.  I figured we'd try again on our own that month and it still didn't work.  My doc gave me new paperwork, so it wouldn't be so out of date, but that next cycle, I got my BFP.  It was mentioned to me because we were TTC #2 and we're 41, almost 42, so he wanted to be able to help us along quickly.  I think anywhere after a year, doctors will step in if you ask.

mamatink7
by Franceska on May. 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM

ok. are you still on metformin? im on that and prenatals. you definately need to bring it up-it only way they will take you seriously-i charted and started temping, doing everything but opk tests 

thats what i told dr too, her putting me to RE wont get covered and SA/ IUI/ IVF will not get covered. be straight with dr and let them know how important it is to you guys. 

good luck & baby dust

Quoting mrsprecise: We did metformin, SA, and an hsg & they recommended iui next. Which wont be covered. Im over all of this smh
Quoting mamatink7:

Niki722
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I ovulate and I am very regular so clomid was not an option...that is until IUI. Then they want to increase your chances. We are gearing up for IUI #2 so I will start on clomid for the second time next week. So I only do it for IUI cycles (to increase egg count).

mrsprecise
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
No they said if the metformin didnt work after 3 months it wouldnt... i did it 2 sep times for 3 months.

Thanks i will definitely be bringing it up my nxt visit

Quoting mamatink7:

ok. are you still on metformin? im on that and prenatals. you definately need to bring it up-it only way they will take you seriously-i charted and started temping, doing everything but opk tests 

thats what i told dr too, her putting me to RE wont get covered and SA/ IUI/ IVF will not get covered. be straight with dr and let them know how important it is to you guys. 

good luck & baby dust

Quoting mrsprecise: We did metformin, SA, and an hsg & they recommended iui next. Which wont be covered.

Im over all of this smh

Quoting mamatink7:

mrsprecise
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM
I dont really want to do the iui prob because of the costs and i feel like if it doesnt work itll be a waste of money... i feel negative and discouraged towards it all at this point smh

Quoting Niki722:

I ovulate and I am very regular so clomid was not an option...that is until IUI. Then they want to increase your chances. We are gearing up for IUI #2 so I will start on clomid for the second time next week. So I only do it for IUI cycles (to increase egg count).

Niki722
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM

The costs of the IUI are practically nothing compared to IVF...I'm hoping the IUI works because there is no way we could afford IVF. Our fertility clinic charges 330 for the IUI which includes the sperm wash. It doesn't include the medications and ultrasound, but the cost is not much compared to what IVF would be, so I am willing to try this for a while in hopes that it will work.

Quoting mrsprecise: I dont really want to do the iui prob because of the costs and i feel like if it doesnt work itll be a waste of money... i feel negative and discouraged towards it all at this point smh
Quoting Niki722:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)