Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

IVF

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 5:46 PM
  • 38 Replies
IUI #2 was another bust. When I go in for IUI #3 I'm going to start asking some questions about IVF... I already know its around 14k there, but what other things should I ask?

I want to make sure they freeze any unused embryos in case it doesn't work on our first try. I like the RE I have and wouldn't mind using him, but I also want to look into other nearby places.

I live in a fairly rural area so I was thinking about checking a 2-3 mile radius and comparing prices.

Do I just call these places up and ask what they charge? It feels so weird! What else should I ask? IVF is very new to me but I want to start getting plan C in place.
by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ARClay
by Alyssa on Jun. 26, 2014 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I know some places have the prices on the website. But if they don't then just call. It can't hurt!

I guess ask how much it costs total including everything from meds to the procedure itself to freezing the embryos.
eagerforbaby
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I would look into your res ivf success rates, as well as those other near by ones, more than the cost. Believe me, I know cost is a factor, I did 3 rounds (well, 2 fresh, 1 frozen) and paid out of pocket for every dime! But, success rates can vary between clinics and you don't want to waste your money. You can usually find that info on the clinics website if they gave one, if not they will be able to tell you. Mt clinic has the approximate cost on their website as well. Good luck! It was heart breaking when we gave up on iui.
JunkYdMom
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
It never hurts to call and ask for pricing also the website might give you a general idea.From my experience icsi, assisted hatching , anesthesia,embryo freezing and meds are not included in the quoted price from the doctors office. Those are procedures to ask about.
hypnautica
by Jennifer on Jun. 26, 2014 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to look at their sart ratings to make sure with their IVF, they are a good place. They can tell you anything or post anything but it doesnt mean that it is true. Most clinics will list their prices on their website, some you can call and others will not give you any price until you are soon. A clinic I was looking at in WA told me that they would not give me prices until I saw seen by one of their docs. If you need help in trying to figure out if a clinic is good or not, let me know which ones you are looking at and I can look on the SART site and let you know. You will need to ask what all is included in the price they quote. Medicine is never included and it is an extra $3000-$7000 depending on how you respond to meds. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message.

EmRent
by Emily on Jun. 26, 2014 at 7:21 PM
The cost of the IVF is probably not including meds- take that I to consideration. My first round of meds my first cycle cost me a total of probably $3K Also freezing probably isn't included either and that cost an additional $1500 as well.
EmRent
by Emily on Jun. 26, 2014 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Some procedures aren't covered as well. I had to do a saline infused sonogram and trial transfer which also cost me an extra $600. My IVF loan was only $7000 though not $14000 so maybe hopefully more stuff will be included.
KJ786
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree, it never hurts to call and ask about pricing! Be careful of hidden fees, though, because the cost of the procedure does not include the cost of meds, which are also expensive! I was supposed to do my first cycle of IVF this month (it got cancelled because I didn't respond well enough to the meds). You should also ask about any discounts they might offer at the clinics! I qualified for a small discount through my clinic. The actual rate of the procedure was about $8,200 with the discount. But, that didn't include the meds, which were over a thousand. And then I think we also got paperwork from them saying they charged $1,700 per year to store any eggs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lmallonee
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Were any of your IVF cycles successful?

Quoting eagerforbaby: I would look into your res ivf success rates, as well as those other near by ones, more than the cost. Believe me, I know cost is a factor, I did 3 rounds (well, 2 fresh, 1 frozen) and paid out of pocket for every dime! But, success rates can vary between clinics and you don't want to waste your money. You can usually find that info on the clinics website if they gave one, if not they will be able to tell you. Mt clinic has the approximate cost on their website as well. Good luck! It was heart breaking when we gave up on iui.
Lmallonee
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 10:34 AM
That's a pretty good price! There aren't that many places around us, but I have a flexible schedule in the summer if I had to travel.

Quoting KJ786: I agree, it never hurts to call and ask about pricing! Be careful of hidden fees, though, because the cost of the procedure does not include the cost of meds, which are also expensive! I was supposed to do my first cycle of IVF this month (it got cancelled because I didn't respond well enough to the meds). You should also ask about any discounts they might offer at the clinics! I qualified for a small discount through my clinic. The actual rate of the procedure was about $8,200 with the discount. But, that didn't include the meds, which were over a thousand. And then I think we also got paperwork from them saying they charged $1,700 per year to store any eggs.
Lmallonee
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM
7k would be so much better! Did you go to. Place in Cincinnati?

Quoting EmRent: Some procedures aren't covered as well. I had to do a saline infused sonogram and trial transfer which also cost me an extra $600. My IVF loan was only $7000 though not $14000 so maybe hopefully more stuff will be included.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)