Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Ovulation Test As Early Pregnancy Test?!

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:47 PM
  • 12 Replies

I just read something that says an ovulation test could be used as a pregnancy test (although it's not always accurate). Basically it can tell you if there is a rise in hormone levels before an HPT would detect HCG - which *could* indicate pregnancy. FMU is recommended. I'm wondering if any of you ladies have tried this and if it worked? If I got a positive HPT, I'd be interested in taking a ovulation test just to see what it shows. I stopped at the dollar store earlier today to grab a couple but they were sold out. I'm sure it's not 100%, just made me curious! Anyone try this? 

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gabeys_Mommy
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:17 PM
On the day of my missed period, I suspected and didn't have any hpts. I took an ovulation test and it was super positive. Sent hubby for a pregnancy test...sure enough, bfp.
JennasMom2
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Really? That's crazy but makes sense that it would! 

Quoting Gabeys_Mommy: On the day of my missed period, I suspected and didn't have any hpts. I took an ovulation test and it was super positive. Sent hubby for a pregnancy test...sure enough, bfp.

.sp4rkl3z.
by Meredith on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:02 PM
So I had a bunch of leftover OPK strips that had to be used so I kept testing after 0 and it got almost positive and then the 2nd line was barely there, I'd say 8dpo. With DS3 I tested with a CBE digital OPK after getting a 10dpo BFP and the smiley came right up. You won't have a positive OPK before a positive HPT
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisUsmcWifey
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM
It didn't work for me. I got a super dark positive HPT and just the day before I had taken an OPK and the second line was barely there.
kelly617
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Its not an accurate way to check...some women get a line all thru their cycles and then get a really dark line at ovulation...so you could pee on it...not be pregnant and get a pretty dark line and it means nothing.
You can also be pregnant and get no line and it again means nothing

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes its possible but they aren't sensitive enough to read before a pregnancy test would. I got a positive on an opk about 3-4 days after my positive pregnancy test (I did it to see if it was accurate) They were darker before that but not dark enough to be positive!

Kaybean
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this
That's how I found out with this baby. I took an OPK on 12 DPO and it came back positive. It was more positive than the cheapie test.
florallove92
by Kailey on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:19 AM

I had a m/c recently and out of curiosity I took an OPK, it was a blaring positive. Test line was darker than the control line. I was told that the left over declining HCG can alter the results. But I'm not sure how accurate it'd be 

JennasMom2
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Good to know! Thanks!

Quoting .sp4rkl3z.: So I had a bunch of leftover OPK strips that had to be used so I kept testing after 0 and it got almost positive and then the 2nd line was barely there, I'd say 8dpo. With DS3 I tested with a CBE digital OPK after getting a 10dpo BFP and the smiley came right up. You won't have a positive OPK before a positive HPT

JennasMom2
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Interesting how it differs for everyone. I didn't think it would be reliable but just interesting that some women get positive results and actually find out their pregnant really early by using them.

Quoting HisUsmcWifey: It didn't work for me. I got a super dark positive HPT and just the day before I had taken an OPK and the second line was barely there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)