Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Much is Weight a Factor

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:28 AM
  • 12 Replies

Like most people TTC, I have been reading a lot. Right now I am reading What to Expect Before You're Pregnant. I am technically obese, meaning, I am 5'2" and I weight 198lbs. Acoording to this book, my weight, btw, it is evenly spread out, claims it will be much harded to conceive a baby at my current weight. I am not a snacker, and I really don't eat a lot. I have no idea how long it would take me to drop some weight. Any advice on this one? I am almost 30 and I am beyond sick of road blocks in the way of having my first child. All of this, not just the weight, is confusing and frustrating me. I am trying not to get too stressed out, but I think it comes with the territory. Thanks ahead of time!

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Khooks
by Jessica on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:08 AM
It all depends on how each individual handles it. A lot of women start to have irregular cycles with weight gain and that does make it hard because that means you're not ovulating regularly. If you're ovulating regularly I say you have just a good a chance as anyone.
MrsA0625
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:12 AM
I've heard that weight can drastically affect getting pregnant. It affects ovulation, it affects everything. Havig extra weight I your body in General is hard on you but it makes TTCing that much more difficult. But that's not saying that people with a higher weight can't and won't get pregnant, it might just be more difficult than if they were in a healthy weight range. GL Hun!
charm2mama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM
There are many obese women that get pregnant without problems but if you are having problems, weight could be the issue. ...at least this is how I see it. Also when you are bigger you are at increased risk for complications during pregnancy. I would kept trying to lose weight while ttc. I think sometimes when you are obese the ob and RE will not work with you. I find that to be annoying. I wish you luck!
Pukity
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Its just because since your metabolism might get slow when you are overweight, the ovulation might not be regular, when I was TTC my first child I was 178 pound and I am 5'1, I have always been irregular on my cycles and kind of overweight but I was able to conceive, this time that Im looking for my second one its being harder, now, I am 34 now, and I am doing all that I can to loose weight and  I have 1 1/2 years ttc and its getting frustrating and my Dr order a pill to regulate my cycles; i have been taking that for 3 months and havent worked yet. I am exercising more and eating healthier and I have lossing some weight and just waiting patiently until a get BFPgood luck

lillybug222
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it just depends. I'm over 200# & pregnant with #4.

In the past 6 months, I've lost 35#. I log calories on My Fitness Pal. I didn't work very hard to low those 35#. I just ate less food. I tried to make better food choices & I walked occasionally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gertrude_shea
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM
I agree with this...if you are ovulating regularly with a little bit of extra weight then you are just as likely to get pregnant as someone who is ovulating regularly without the extra weight...gl sweety

Quoting Khooks: It all depends on how each individual handles it. A lot of women start to have irregular cycles with weight gain and that does make it hard because that means you're not ovulating regularly. If you're ovulating regularly I say you have just a good a chance as anyone.
our.love.story
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM
If you're ovulating consistently, I wouldn't say it has much affect on you, if you aren't, they say that even just losing 10% of your body weight can drastically increase your chances of conceiving. I lost over 60 pounds over 8 months while my husband was deployed and then kept all but a few pounds of it off when he got home and also was still doing regular exercise and we were finally able to conceive after years of trying. Unfortunately, weight can be a huge factor in conceiving, but try not to stress about it all either, because stress is bad as well. Just try eating a little healthier, make sure to eat a good breakfast to start your metabolism off, and just try walking for half an hour a day. Good luck. :)
Mom2five87
by Jen on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM
I think this is something that depends on the individual. Some people that are overweight/obese get pregnant easily but like the PP said, if you are overweight and having trouble getting pregnant it could be the issue. I've seen women on here struggle for years and then they lose 20-30 lbs (sometimes more) and boom! They're pregnant. Then there are people like me who are big and have no issues. I have 7 kids (3 singletons and 2 sets of twins) and I've been between 260-300 at the beginning of all my pregnancies and I have very regular cycles. So it just depends.

I will say I think it's BS that a lot of doctors automatically tell an overweight woman that weight is the problem without really investigating all other possibilities. I see that a lot too.
MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:57 AM
In some women, weight affects ovulation. This is likely if you have pcos. Adipose fat (the fat not used for energy) raises your testosterone level, signaling your body to not ovulate. That happened to me for 12 years, I couldn't get pregnant. I lost 130 lbs and now I'm on my 3rd pregnancy.

If you're overweight and can't get pregnant, losing weight is one of the first (and most natural) recommendations.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MAB4385
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses. Since I am regular, I will try to worry less about it. I also havea doctor appointment coming up, so I can ask her to run a blood test to make sure my estrogen levels are where they are supposed to be. I have never been a breakfast person, or really a person that eats that much. I guess I got that from my mom. I'll nibble on the dinner I make at night which always has broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower in it. I more so drink my calories. I only drink soda maybe once a week which is a huge change from when I was younger. Soda was always my go to drink. My vice now is coffee, but I changed it half caf since I am TTC. Maybe if I drink one of the Special K Protein drinks in the morning that will help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)