Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IVF only hope

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:41 PM
  • 25 Replies

Well that's it, after only 2 failed IUI attempts, the doctor believes that to continue with them would be a waste of our money. Our only hope to have a baby is IVF. And Unfortunately, our insurance doesn't cover any infertility and the costs are far too great.

What almost makes it worse is that the doctor believes that based on my health and age that our chances of success are 50-60%, which is amazing odds with IVF.

Too bad its so expensive :(

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Niki722
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Unless some sort of miracle happens, I guess I'm done. My heart is broken. Best of luck to everyone.
Peregrine
by Carrie on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM
I'm very sorry. I do know that you can get loans to cover the cost of IVF. I know the idea of taking out a twenty thousand dollar loan is scary, but maybe its a thought?
Mommy_522
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM
No way to save money, or get a loan for it? How much is it?
pooh2you1985
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:46 PM
Ohh I am so sorry. What about a sergeant is that maybe an option
Miss.penguin
by Nicole on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I had to turn to ivf and like you insurance didn't cover anything. We took out a loan to cover the costs. Luckily it was successful the first time. If you have questions you can message me.
Niki722
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM
I am a very practical/logical person and I just can't imagine taking out a loan for something that may not work. We would be swimming in debt. We already have student loans we are still paying off and a mortgage. And even if it did work, that would make it very difficult financially. If insurance even covered half it would be a totally different story.
Niki722
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM
We dont need a surrogate. I can carry a baby...thats why our chances are so good.

Quoting pooh2you1985: Ohh I am so sorry. What about a sergeant is that maybe an option
Niki722
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Thank you. I would live to hear your story.

Quoting Miss.penguin: I had to turn to ivf and like you insurance didn't cover anything. We took out a loan to cover the costs. Luckily it was successful the first time. If you have questions you can message me.
charm2mama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It took us a year to accept and get ready to do IVF for financial and emotional reasons. I understand it is hard to pay an absurd amount of money for something that might not work. We felt the same way and it took us a long time to make a decision. With my age @ 37, they gave me a 40% chance of success so it was a really difficult decision. We opted to go with a shared risk program that gave us 6 IVF cycles with how every many frozen embryo transfers and if it doesn't succeed, we get the initial fees back - basically we would have just paid for medication. It is much more expensive than one cycle, but it gave us some guarentee. There are other financial options and discount programs for medications. You should talk to the financial office to see if there are ways to afford IVF. Also, sometimes there are clinical trials...

It's overwhelming - I know, it totally sucks. But give it some time before you make a final decision. And maybe while you are waiting, a miracle will happen:) Good luck!

Miss.penguin
by Nicole on Jul. 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My dh and I hit married in 2008 and started ttc right away. Years passed but everyone kept saying, your so young just wait, it will happen. In 2012 I hit a new job with better insurance so I finally decided to just get tested. Everything with my was fine, but my dh only had 5% motile sperm. The RE said iui would never work so we started looking into IVF. That's when I found out our insurance wouldn't cover any part of IVF. We started looking at different loans and ways to pay for it. We found an IVF clinic that helped us her a loan and started the process. I responded really well to the meds. They retrieved 32 eggs. They used ICSI to fertilized the eggs. In the end we had 13 perfect little embryos. We Transferred 2 and waited for blood test. We found out we were pregnant September 7th 2013 and welcomed Miles Ethan into the world May 28th 2014 at 0150. We still have 11 embryos in the freezer now and will do a frozen transfer in a few years to try for another little one.

I know it's scary to think that your putting yourself in debt got something that might not work. We already had lots of debt, mortgage payments. And it certainly made it a little more difficult to budget fit baby things, but I just couldn't imagine not having children. Even if it wouldn't have worked I wouldn't have regretted our decision. At least we would have tried everything.

Quoting Niki722: Thank you. I would live to hear your story.

Quoting Miss.penguin: I had to turn to ivf and like you insurance didn't cover anything. We took out a loan to cover the costs. Luckily it was successful the first time. If you have questions you can message me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)