Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HSG test *update*

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM
  • 7 Replies

Has anyone ever had an HSG? Advice on what to expect

I am having this test done in order to see if there is any damage done to my uterus. my tubes are fine, I don't have a problem with getting pregnant, but I have a problem with staying pregnant. I lost two babies within 6 months, their heart beat stopped at 13 weeks both of them.

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Yiggle09
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Im a radiologic technologist who has assisted in alot of hsg tests. Youll be made to change from the waist down and then get onto the xray table. there will either be stirrups like in the drs office or not. if not then youll scoot your butt down to edge of table and have your heels at edge of table and let you legs fall out to sides. The dr will insert a speculum just like in the drs office for an annual visit. The dr will then insert a wad of gauze with betadine which is a brown liquid soap to clean your cervix. They will then insert a catheter made to go inside the cervix and inflate a balloon to keep it in. The insertion and baloon will cause period like cramping. Some women barely notice while others are in alot of pain. Ive seen a super wide spectrum of reaction. Many drs suggest taking motrin prior to the test. I would suggest it also. After the dr has inserted and inflated the balloon youll have to push you way up to the middle of the xray table and the radiologist will be gotten to work the fluoro machine. As they image you the dr will squeeze xray contrast dye into the catheter and into the uterous. This will also cause significant cramping. During this time the dr may ask you to tilt your hips right and left to see if the dye leaves the tubes and pools in the cul du sac behind the uterus. Two things are important- having fluid go to end of tube and the spillage. I hope this was helpful! GL

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:59 PM

I had one back in 2008. Some ladies it hurts really bad and others feel hardly anything. Make sure to take some Ibuprofen about an hr or so before you get it done. I wasnt told this and wished I had been. Also expect to possibly have some light bleeding and cramps after. Good luck

Yiggle09
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Yes thankyou hypnautica- I forgot to mention the contrast is sticky and the soap is brown and both will leak onto your panties after so I would bring a pad to keep your panties clean. We provide one to our patients at my hospital but my old hospital did not. Also there can be some blood coming out as well which is normal. GL

Quoting hypnautica:

I had one back in 2008. Some ladies it hurts really bad and others feel hardly anything. Make sure to take some Ibuprofen about an hr or so before you get it done. I wasnt told this and wished I had been. Also expect to possibly have some light bleeding and cramps after. Good luck

wwemom84
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you ladies very much
mamatink7
by Franceska on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:17 PM

take 2 ibprophen couple hrs ahead/ tyenol. some hurt less or more; depending on how much junk is clogging tubes. some have different reactions than others. i was actually put on bedrest for 4 days afterwards to prevent bloodclots. supposedly 2-4cycles after hsg you are highly fertile and will get pregnant. we are still trying (ob thinks possible CP but not definate) 

fx baby dust. let us know how urs turned out

VinVanMom
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Mine wasn't bad at all. I didn't like the cleaning part felt like light scraping. The balloon made me feel like I had to pee. Not much pain at all. Very light cramps. Small speck of blood the next day. Barely any stuff came out. Mine were clear though so maybe that helps w discomfort. Don't worry.
wwemom84
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:12 AM

I am having this test done in order to see if there is any damage done to my uterus. my tubes are fine, I don't have a problem with getting pregnant, but I have a problem with staying pregnant. I lost two babies within 6 months, their heart beat stopped at 13 weeks both of them.

We are planning on waiting about year before we try again, but we are not using protection. we are pulling and praying. if it happens naturally we will be ok, but we are going to try and not pull out.

Quoting mamatink7:

take 2 ibprophen couple hrs ahead/ tyenol. some hurt less or more; depending on how much junk is clogging tubes. some have different reactions than others. i was actually put on bedrest for 4 days afterwards to prevent bloodclots. supposedly 2-4cycles after hsg you are highly fertile and will get pregnant. we are still trying (ob thinks possible CP but not definate) 

fx baby dust. let us know how urs turned out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)