Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

opks don't = o

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:03 PM
  • 12 Replies
I just want to put this info out here so its available and i feel like a lot of women are being mislead by the opks. Opks only measure the fsh surge (folicle stimulating hormone), It prepps your ovaries for O. Shortly after (back to back) that surge you have the estrogen surge this makes you O. You can have the fsh surge and never O. You can also have multiple fsh surges in one cycle. taking your bbt and charting your cm will tell you if you have ovulated. They are probly best used with charting and bbts. the most you can get from using the opks is when you MIGHT O. gl and loads of baby dust to all. (:
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Yep Yep!!! Its important knowledge!

tluvsd2
by TONI on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM
SOOO RIGHT THATS WHY I TEMP AND CHART !
huntersmoma21
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:54 PM
I'm not going to temp but just started with opks. So if I had all of the signs of O and got a pos opk is that a good sign? I've never had trouble O ing but it still crosses my mind. Thank you for the info.
hypersquirrel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Opks show that your body is gearing up to o.so it can be an indicator of when to start bding.

Quoting huntersmoma21: I'm not going to temp but just started with opks. So if I had all of the signs of O and got a pos opk is that a good sign? I've never had trouble O ing but it still crosses my mind. Thank you for the info.
hypersquirrel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM
All the signs are great to have and useful for knowing when to bd. Non of the tell you that you have o'd. only bbt and a dr can. because you can have all the signs of o but not release an egg. so if your. O'Ing just fine you can get away with not having the temps. Gl an baby dust:)

Quoting hypersquirrel: Opks show that your body is gearing up to o.so it can be an indicator of when to start bding.

Quoting huntersmoma21: I'm not going to temp but just started with opks. So if I had all of the signs of O and got a pos opk is that a good sign? I've never had trouble O ing but it still crosses my mind. Thank you for the info.
ARClay
by Alyssa on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep. You're correct. Except it's LH not FSH. But yes. The only way to know for sure is temping or having a progesterone check. My OBGYN will argue that even BBT can't really say for sure you o'd. But I have faith in temping if you do it right.
mattiehatter
by Mary on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM
This. I had a erratic BBT charts which is why I have it up. I've pretty much given up everything to do with ttc with the exception of cervical mucous.

Quoting ARClay: Yep. You're correct. Except it's LH not FSH. But yes. The only way to know for sure is temping or having a progesterone check. My OBGYN will argue that even BBT can't really say for sure you o'd. But I have faith in temping if you do it right.
hypersquirrel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM
Yes it id lh not fsh i confused the two as far as the opks goes.true bbt is not 100% it is however far more accurate than anything else one can do aside from going to the dr. to find out. :)

Quoting ARClay: Yep. You're correct. Except it's LH not FSH. But yes. The only way to know for sure is temping or having a progesterone check. My OBGYN will argue that even BBT can't really say for sure you o'd. But I have faith in temping if you do it right.
ARClay
by Alyssa on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Absolutely! My dr asked how I know I'm ovulating, if I had my progesterone checked, and I said well I know because I use bbt and every month my temps go up. And he said "you THINK you ovulate. Have you had your progesterone checked to make sure you ovulate?" Well no, I hadn't, but when I finally did get it checked it was 23. So yeah. Take that, doctor lol

Quoting hypersquirrel: Yes it id lh not fsh i confused the two as far as the opks goes.true bbt is not 100% it is however far more accurate than anything else one can do aside from going to the dr. to find out. :)
GoldenLinds
by Linds on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:14 PM
2 moms liked this
There will always be those who swear they ovulate because of the opks no matter how you try to educate them. Even ones who swear they ovulated 3times because they got pos opks 3 different times. Sigh.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)