Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Thyroid?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:27 PM
  • 13 Replies
I've been looking over the results of my latest blood tests and I found something kind of shocking. I had a tsh result of 2.7, which is right in the mid range, but by chance I discovered that since 2003 the recommendations have been that tsh over 3 is considered hypothyroid and the over 2.5 is "subclinical" and should be treated if someone had symptoms but if someone is trying to get pregnant then tsh should be no more than 2. I looked up the issues that are associated with hypothyroid, including poor lh response (I have that) low progesterone (I have that too) low bbt (I have that, average pre o temps are in the low 96s, average post o temps are in the low 97s) and is associated with low birth weight and pre eclampsia (true for both of those). But now I'm worried that I won't convince a doctor to treat me since this is controversial and my numbers so far aren't *that* high.
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:46 PM

I would just bring it up! Whats it hurt. If he feels like its not worth addressing he will say so and you can get a second opinion. We need to learn that Drs see THOUSANDS of patients. And we are put through the assembly line. If we don't do our own reasearch, and educate ourselves on treatment plans (whether it be illness, TTC, or pregnancy related) then we may fall through the cracks. We have to speak up! 

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM

O and I want to add that I have many of the same symptoms you mentioned above, but my thyroid is fine! So keep that in mind to!! 

acclbentz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I was just a hair off for my numbers, indicating Hypothyroidism, after inquiring with my (secondary) doctor about it because I was having symptoms associated with it. She put me on a low dose of levothyroxine to see if it helped, and it did. Once my levels went back to normal though, my primary took me off of it to see what my levels did. They're still a hair off, but it's enough to cause symptoms associated with Hypothyroidism. She refused to put me back on it, so I started looking at other ways to get my levels back on track. I found a thyroid supplement at walmart called Thyroid5, and while it's slightly expensive for a half a month dose (13$), it definitely worked...I noticed a difference within days of starting it. So that would be my suggestion...I still get my thyroid checked every 6 months (every 3 right now because I'm pregnant), so I know exactly what my levels are based on those tests.

toopicky429
by Jackie on Aug. 31, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Definitely talk to your doctor about it. My OB said my tsh of 2.63 was normal, but my RE put me on synthroid to treat it since we have been ttc for years. Good luck!
Lmallonee
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 10:53 PM
The time of day you have the test can make a difference too. I was 3.3 and 3.9 a month apart. I went on thyroid meds and got my BFP (it was also our 3rd IUI so it probably wasn't the meds alone). I would ask to be rechecked to see if its higher or lower.
PinkButterfly66
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Give it a shot hon.  And if you can't get the doctor to try (ask for desiccated thyroid like Armour), then go to your health food store and pick up some thyroid glandular.  And read Dr. David Brownstein's book "Iodine, Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It".

Gooberzilla
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:15 PM
Do you have a diagnosis? Because I don't. My current doctor thinks I'm in perimenopause because of my crazy pms and low progesterone. I think he's crazy because I've had these symptoms my ENTIRE LIFE. I'm changing doctors because I'm not totally convinced he knows what he's doing.

Quoting NoraDun:

O and I want to add that I have many of the same symptoms you mentioned above, but my thyroid is fine! So keep that in mind to!! 

Gooberzilla
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:17 PM
I haven't seen anything at Wal-Mart but I will definitely check, thank you. I've also read on some thyroid websites that maca can help and since its supposed to help fertility too I figure it can't hurt.

Quoting acclbentz:

I was just a hair off for my numbers, indicating Hypothyroidism, after inquiring with my (secondary) doctor about it because I was having symptoms associated with it. She put me on a low dose of levothyroxine to see if it helped, and it did. Once my levels went back to normal though, my primary took me off of it to see what my levels did. They're still a hair off, but it's enough to cause symptoms associated with Hypothyroidism. She refused to put me back on it, so I started looking at other ways to get my levels back on track. I found a thyroid supplement at walmart called Thyroid5, and while it's slightly expensive for a half a month dose (13$), it definitely worked...I noticed a difference within days of starting it. So that would be my suggestion...I still get my thyroid checked every 6 months (every 3 right now because I'm pregnant), so I know exactly what my levels are based on those tests.

Gooberzilla
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Did your RE say that ttc should have lower tsh levels? That's what I keep seeing around the net, but asl the medical websites say the of 2.7 is normal.

Quoting toopicky429: Definitely talk to your doctor about it. My OB said my tsh of 2.63 was normal, but my RE put me on synthroid to treat it since we have been ttc for years. Good luck!
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:35 PM

I have PCOS! Definitely change Drs hun, good luck

Quoting Gooberzilla: Do you have a diagnosis? Because I don't. My current doctor thinks I'm in perimenopause because of my crazy pms and low progesterone. I think he's crazy because I've had these symptoms my ENTIRE LIFE. I'm changing doctors because I'm not totally convinced he knows what he's doing.
Quoting NoraDun:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)