Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT but I need to vent

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:56 PM
  • 12 Replies
Ughhhhh so in the state we live in my marriage to Jill is not valid if I were to have a accident and go in the ICU she is nothing and they won't tell her anything! Today was Election Day and the AG and governor are fighting tooth and nail against letting our 'type' of marriage be recognized or happen in this state and the people running against them are willing to change the law. The race is sooooo close the current AG won which is annoying but the governors race is like 48 to 47% and if the current gov wins again it might be months or even years again for us in the LGBT community to receive rights and it's frustrating me and makes me sad all at the same time. *sigh* ok rant over but I'm very grumpy.
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel for you hun. I am a Christian so I am opposed to gay marriage but I think if you choose to be gay that you should be allowed the same legal rights as married couples. I can understand where that would be frustrating. I dont think its the legalization of gay marriages that needs to happen. Because I believe its something sacred and special between a man and woman. But its the insurance policies, and medical laws that need changing! There is no reason why you and your spouse shouldn't be able to share insurances, or have rights in the case of a medical emergency. THAT is something I would fight to change. But gay marriage I dont support!! I do feel for you though hun, and either way however it turns out I hope you and your significant other gain those rights for those scenarios! 

Mammacra
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:08 PM
I think government need to stay the F out of peoples person relationships. If you love a, woman and you are a woman thats great if you love a man and your a man thats fantastic and if your a woman that loves a man good for you. S ling as you love the one your with politics should stay the hell out of it. I honestly get very bothered by the inequality in it all. Its modern day segregation.
ahend64
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:15 PM
ugh stupid politics! you should have the same rights
OurLoveStory381
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Big Hugs Mama , They always gotta control EVERYTHING.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
julieobug
by Julie on Nov. 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM
I totally respect your beliefs! I was raised in a Christian/Jewish home and my family so far even though they don't like it supprt and love me and my one brother that so far has come out (there are 11 of us and most are still really young) I did get married to a man years ago and it was a mistake for me. If 'marriage' isn't a option give us a civil union or a domestic partnership even a common law after 7 years but as it stands not even those legal ways to get insurance and rights are legal in the state of FL.

Quoting NoraDun:

I feel for you hun. I am a Christian so I am opposed to gay marriage but I think if you choose to be gay that you should be allowed the same legal rights as married couples. I can understand where that would be frustrating. I dont think its the legalization of gay marriages that needs to happen. Because I believe its something sacred and special between a man and woman. But its the insurance policies, and medical laws that need changing! There is no reason why you and your spouse shouldn't be able to share insurances, or have rights in the case of a medical emergency. THAT is something I would fight to change. But gay marriage I dont support!! I do feel for you though hun, and either way however it turns out I hope you and your significant other gain those rights for those scenarios! 

a06z08mama
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 9:35 AM
My aunt's are dealing with the same thing. If something happens to one of them, the other has no say.

Would it be different if you had a living will stating Jill be power of attorney and responsible for choices if you weren't able to? And be allowed to know information?

I believe couples are couples. No matter what orientation. They deserve to have a say in their partners health and medical (even allowing to have insurance policies) They've made that commitment to each other!

I don't have a relationship with my mother aka egg donor. To which is one of the reasons why we upped our wedding (dh dad passed suddenly in July and I expressed my concern if something was happen to me, that bitch would have rights to things she has NO right to and not do good by my kids. I am still thinking about getting a living will to protect some of my things from her.)
Bajanmama
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with this. It's almost like bullying them for being 'different'. People should be treated with respect and dignity no matter what choices they make in their personal lives.

Quoting NoraDun:

julieobug
by Julie on Nov. 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM
A POA might work but it's not for sure because we would need to carry its around with us all the time but it's something we are looking into for sure! I've heard stories of families like jills family that's doesnt support their lifestyles taking away the rights of the SO because they have 'no legal rights' like if something were to happen tk her her family would ban me from the funeral and stuff

Quoting a06z08mama: My aunt's are dealing with the same thing. If something happens to one of them, the other has no say.

Would it be different if you had a living will stating Jill be power of attorney and responsible for choices if you weren't able to? And be allowed to know information?

I believe couples are couples. No matter what orientation. They deserve to have a say in their partners health and medical (even allowing to have insurance policies) They've made that commitment to each other!

I don't have a relationship with my mother aka egg donor. To which is one of the reasons why we upped our wedding (dh dad passed suddenly in July and I expressed my concern if something was happen to me, that bitch would have rights to things she has NO right to and not do good by my kids. I am still thinking about getting a living will to protect some of my things from her.)
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I am all for that. I think that there should be a union, call it whatever you like. Civil Union, whatever that stands the same way as a marraige and gives those rights. I have been called all kinds of ugly things because I believe in the bible. But what people don't understand is that it doesn't mean I hate someone for their life style. Lord knows we all do things that are a sin, no one is perfect. Just because I disagree doesn't mean I dislike someone. In the end I can't choose someone else's lifestyle. Only  that can. So if this is the lifestyle you choose fine, especially if you were raised Christian you know what the bible says. You make your deicions. But that shouldn't keep you from having similar rights. Especially for safety reasons. I do struggle about other things as far as homosexual lifestyles, raising kids, etc. But ultimately I am not the one who judges. God will do that. I can only live side by side everyone peacefully as possible. As long as I am not hated for my beliefs and the way I live (which I am on a regular basis) then I will fully try to be kind and support others in the same way! 

Quoting julieobug: I totally respect your beliefs! I was raised in a Christian/Jewish home and my family so far even though they don't like it supprt and love me and my one brother that so far has come out (there are 11 of us and most are still really young) I did get married to a man years ago and it was a mistake for me. If 'marriage' isn't a option give us a civil union or a domestic partnership even a common law after 7 years but as it stands not even those legal ways to get insurance and rights are legal in the state of FL.
Quoting NoraDun:

julieobug
by Julie on Nov. 5, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Right and I would never put you down for your beliefs! Ever. Judge not lest us be judged.

Quoting NoraDun:

I am all for that. I think that there should be a union, call it whatever you like. Civil Union, whatever that stands the same way as a marraige and gives those rights. I have been called all kinds of ugly things because I believe in the bible. But what people don't understand is that it doesn't mean I hate someone for their life style. Lord knows we all do things that are a sin, no one is perfect. Just because I disagree doesn't mean I dislike someone. In the end I can't choose someone else's lifestyle. Only  that can. So if this is the lifestyle you choose fine, especially if you were raised Christian you know what the bible says. You make your deicions. But that shouldn't keep you from having similar rights. Especially for safety reasons. I do struggle about other things as far as homosexual lifestyles, raising kids, etc. But ultimately I am not the one who judges. God will do that. I can only live side by side everyone peacefully as possible. As long as I am not hated for my beliefs and the way I live (which I am on a regular basis) then I will fully try to be kind and support others in the same way! 

Quoting julieobug: I totally respect your beliefs! I was raised in a Christian/Jewish home and my family so far even though they don't like it supprt and love me and my one brother that so far has come out (there are 11 of us and most are still really young) I did get married to a man years ago and it was a mistake for me. If 'marriage' isn't a option give us a civil union or a domestic partnership even a common law after 7 years but as it stands not even those legal ways to get insurance and rights are legal in the state of FL.

Quoting NoraDun:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)