Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HSG scheduled for Monday

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:43 PM
  • 9 Replies
yeappers, Ill be on cd 11 and really nervous! anything I need to know before hand??
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
julieobug
by Julie on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I heard to take some Tylenol before
kayla203
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:07 PM
awesome! thank you!
GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I was told to take 800mg (I think) of ibuprophen 90 minutes before my hsg was scheduled.  It really wasn't too bad for me.

Good luck! I hope everything is clear & this is what you need done to get your bfp!

ckapps4911
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I was told to take 600-800 mg of ibproufin before hand. Other then that it was fine. Whole thing takes like 5 minutes top (including seeing stuff up and all that)
Bring a pad with u just in case they don't have one cuz u will have done spotting (mine lasted for 4 days) and no tampons. U can have sex as soon as u are comfortable after the 24 hour wait after the test, I waited till I was done bleeding just in case.
U may feel a little dizzy or nauseas after the test but that is normal and will usually pass after a few minutes (the it's the body's way of saying wtf just happened) but it doesn't last long. I feel a bit queasy for about a minute and was fine and got dressed and went home.
The best thing I can tell u is don't tense up during if there is pain.. That only makes it worse. Just breathe deep and remember it will be over in a matter of minutes or less. Usually it's small cramps randomly or a larger pinching feeling for a few seconds every now and then.
I've had 2 done and my first just felt like I was really bloated all of a sudden lol... Second one I had a sharp pinch in my ovary area 2x and that was it. Turns out it was cuz that tube was blocked and it was clearing it out.
Good luck! And remember it will be over in a few minutes and u get 3-6 months of increased fertility!!!!
kayla203
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:29 PM
thank you very much! is it usually clear out your tubes? my fertile week is around the 11th!

Quoting ckapps4911: I was told to take 600-800 mg of ibproufin before hand. Other then that it was fine. Whole thing takes like 5 minutes top (including seeing stuff up and all that)
Bring a pad with u just in case they don't have one cuz u will have done spotting (mine lasted for 4 days) and no tampons. U can have sex as soon as u are comfortable after the 24 hour wait after the test, I waited till I was done bleeding just in case.
U may feel a little dizzy or nauseas after the test but that is normal and will usually pass after a few minutes (the it's the body's way of saying wtf just happened) but it doesn't last long. I feel a bit queasy for about a minute and was fine and got dressed and went home.
The best thing I can tell u is don't tense up during if there is pain.. That only makes it worse. Just breathe deep and remember it will be over in a matter of minutes or less. Usually it's small cramps randomly or a larger pinching feeling for a few seconds every now and then.
I've had 2 done and my first just felt like I was really bloated all of a sudden lol... Second one I had a sharp pinch in my ovary area 2x and that was it. Turns out it was cuz that tube was blocked and it was clearing it out.
Good luck! And remember it will be over in a few minutes and u get 3-6 months of increased fertility!!!!
ckapps4911
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:36 PM
The test is to actually check and make sure the uterus is formed right and things like that but if you do have a blocked tube the dye will usually push it out and clear out the tube
Also even if it is clear there could still of been gunk in there that got cleared out allowing for swimmers and egg to meet and travel easier. My first hsg came back great no problems at all and I got it done my 29th month of trying and got my next period March 9th 2012 and found out I was pregnant April 5th at 9dpo. He turns 2 next month. So I got another one done this cycle hoping to get the same results, currently on cycle 15 of trying for number 2, and I'm about 4dpo now I think.
It's used as a diagnostic test to make sure things are shaped right and no polyps and stuff but a lot of women get pregnant the first 3 months after the test.

Quoting kayla203: thank you very much! is it usually clear out your tubes? my fertile week is around the 11th!

Quoting ckapps4911: I was told to take 600-800 mg of ibproufin before hand. Other then that it was fine. Whole thing takes like 5 minutes top (including seeing stuff up and all that)
kayla203
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:44 PM
congrats and good luck! ugh im so excited, i hope that it clears it out and we get pregnant this cycle!

Quoting ckapps4911: The test is to actually check and make sure the uterus is formed right and things like that but if you do have a blocked tube the dye will usually push it out and clear out the tube
Also even if it is clear there could still of been gunk in there that got cleared out allowing for swimmers and egg to meet and travel easier. My first hsg came back great no problems at all and I got it done my 29th month of trying and got my next period March 9th 2012 and found out I was pregnant April 5th at 9dpo. He turns 2 next month. So I got another one done this cycle hoping to get the same results, currently on cycle 15 of trying for number 2, and I'm about 4dpo now I think.
It's used as a diagnostic test to make sure things are shaped right and no polyps and stuff but a lot of women get pregnant the first 3 months after the test.

Quoting kayla203: thank you very much! is it usually clear out your tubes? my fertile week is around the 11th!

ckapps4911
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I read somewhere (can't remember where tho) that of those who do get pregnant after the hsg about 43% of them get pregnant the cycle of the hsg and like 32% the second cycle and the rest the 3rd cycle after (the study what only of the ones who did get pregnant in the first 3 cycles) what that would change to after u count in the ones who don't get pregnant or takes longer then 3 months idk but I liked what I read but only if I kept optimistic about it lol

Quoting kayla203: congrats and good luck! ugh im so excited, i hope that it clears it out and we get pregnant this cycle!

Quoting ckapps4911: The test is to actually check and make sure the uterus is formed right and things like that but if you do have a blocked tube the dye will usually push it out and clear out the tube

Mhays17
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Here was my experience with HSG:

They took me into a little room with a big x-ray. I had brought my Mom with me since DH was working but they wouldn't let her go back with me. The radiologists assistant took me into a bathroom and said to take every off from the waist down. After she had me lay on this big table similar to when you have your annual exam. I had to put my legs in these things similar to stirrups but they held your thighs not your feet. Then the radiologist came in. He cleaned my cervix with the stuff that they use to clean skin before doing a surgery (didn't hurt). The he inserted the speculum - that is bigger than the one used when you get your annual exam and it has a light (felt like the annual exam). Then he inserted the catheter (slight cramping like mild AF cramps but didn't feel him poking anything thru my cervix). After the catheter was in he had to blow up a balloon to keep it in place in my cervix. The balloon gets about as big as the tip of a pencil eraser (this was the most uncomfortable...but still just cramping...lasted maybe about a minute). Then he took my legs out of the stirrups so that I could lay flat and they put the x ray machine over me. He put the dye in and I did feel slight cramping when that happened but that was it. He had me turn to the left side for a few seconds and then back to laying flat on my back. I could see on the screen the inside of my body but didn't really know where to look. They showed me where the dye had spilled out, showed me my uterus and the tubes. They did say my uterus is slightly tilted forward but that it shouldn't make it harder to get pregnant. She said that it may make it harder for the doctor/nurse to check to see if my cervix is dilating when I am in labor. Afterward she had me sit up and all the fluid started dripping out of me lol! Seriously it was dripping down my leg like I peed myself! All in all it wasn't 1/2 as bad as I expected. It didn't hurt all besides for the cramps. I was thinking that I would be feeling things poking my insides but I didn't. Make sure you take a pad with you because you will leaking for the rest of the day. I also took 3 200 mg Advil an hour before the procedure. The actual procedure took about 10 minutes. Good luck...and don't worry! It's really not that bad :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)