Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on me - Reintroduction - Celiac awareness

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

I've been a member of this group for 3.5 years but haven't posted much this year. Lots of new faces here so I thought I'd reintroduce myself.

I'm Gwen, married to David. I'll be 45 in 2 weeks, David is 57.  We have two boys, Augie is 7.5 and Alex just turned 6. A bit crazy that we even think we want another baby, but we all love babies and would more than welcome another addition to our family if God chooses to bless us.  Lots of people at my boys' school observe us around babies & tell us we should have another one. :)  Augie prays for a girl, Alex prays for a boy.  Augie is in 2nd grade, Alex in K.  They both are doing very well, avid readers (Augie is at a 5th grade level, Alex at 1st or 2nd, his reading level hasn't been assessed, I'm guessing based on what he reads to me) and love sports & most everything that most boys like.  We aren't doing anything to "help" things along other than using opks to see when I'm fertile.

I also want to give a little plug for Celiac awareness.  I was diagnosed with Celiacs 9 years ago - about 2 months before David & I got married.  Given how gaunt I was just prior to my diagnosis, I have little doubt that I wouldn't have gotten pregnant with my boys if I hadn't found out I am Celiac and gone on a gluten free diet. A gluten free diet can be challenging & frustrating, but its easier than its ever been and so worth it to be healthy.

Celiacs is a cause of unexplained infertility and miscarriages.  If you're struggling with unexplained infertility and/or repeat miscarriages, I can't emphasize enough how important I think it is for you to be tested for Celiacs! I personally know of several women who've had a baby after ttc for years because they went on a gluten free diet.

Oh, I should add that I'm 5-6 dpo and plan to test on Dec 1, assuming AF doesn't show in the meantime.

October is Celiac Awareness Month - undiagnosed Celiac disease is a risk factor for miscarriages & a cause of unexplained infertility. Only 1 out of every 5-6 people with Celiacs have been diagnosed.  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (44) David (57) Augie (7) Alex (5)

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I am so glad to see you back around!! I missed you in the group!!!! Glad your doing well and I am SUPER excited to see you get your BFP! Good Luck and keep us posted!! 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:15 PM

bump!

Taykjones512
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM
My mom has celiac disease as well. She was diagnosed when about 8/9 years ago as well before it was really known about. Hardly any resteraunts had gluten free menus so we were limited on going out. Thank god it's a more known disease now.
My sister and I both need to be tested for it since it runs in the family but neither of us have yet.
1moretolove
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Good to see you Gwen. Praying you get your bfp!!
GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Awareness has improved dramatically in the last 9 years! It is so much easier now than it was. One of my favorite stories is once I told a waitress I can't have wheat so didn't want the toast and she asked if I'd like an English muffin. Lol

you should get tested!

Quoting Taykjones512: My mom has celiac disease as well. She was diagnosed when about 8/9 years ago as well before it was really known about. Hardly any resteraunts had gluten free menus so we were limited on going out. Thank god it's a more known disease now. My sister and I both need to be tested for it since it runs in the family but neither of us have yet.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

How are you doing?

Quoting 1moretolove: Good to see you Gwen. Praying you get your bfp!!

Lollypeg9896
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Welcome back Gwen!
MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 2:46 AM
Welcome back! That's some really good information. I actually never knew celiac's impacted fertility.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1moretolove
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 7:14 AM
I'm doing very well. Busy, busy, busy. My older two are in college now, but the 6 yo and 21 month old keep me hopping. Lol I'm loving it though. I'm still keeping my fx for you:)

Quoting GwenMB:

How are you doing?

Quoting 1moretolove: Good to see you Gwen. Praying you get your bfp!!

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 25, 2014 at 9:34 AM

It definitely does. If you're Celiac but eating gluten, the villi in your intestine will be damaged & you won't be absorbing nutrition. If you aren't absorbing what you need for yourself, you also won't be absorbing what you need to sustain a pregnancy.

Quoting MommyAddie: Welcome back! That's some really good information. I actually never knew celiac's impacted fertility.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)