Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vbac...

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:01 PM
  • 58 Replies
Whose had one and was it successful? I've had 2 c sections..one in Aug 2008 and one in July 2010...if i get pregnant soon and deliver next year it will be 5- 5 1/2 years since i had a c section...do I have a good chance of having a vbac?:) thanks ladies <3
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katie23VA
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Most hospitals won't allow a trial vbac after two c sections. A friend of mine had to have a home birth for that reason, but she was successful. IMO, if you can't try it in a hospital, it's stupid, naive, and selfish to do it at home. What if you rupture and can't get to the hospital fast enough? What were the reasons you had the c sections?
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:06 PM

You have a WONDERFUL chance of a VBAC if you are extremely particular about who you see for your pregnancy and you make sure you are educated on the truth. Obs are so full of crap these days. The scare tactics they use to do c-sections blow me away. If your comfortable with a homebirth that would be my biggest suggest and would give you your highest chance at a v-bac. If not find a birthing center, or a hospital birthing midwife and talk with her. But I would ask about her v-bac stats because I went to a hospital birthing midwife with my second and she was by far worse then any OB. So natural minded, someone well educated, but who understands the human body and the way a woman is supposed to labor naturally, thats who you need to find! I wish you the best hun, I hate hearing about women who have unnessesary c-sections, or who are forced to have a csection because of previous c-sections! 

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

The chance of that happening is extremely slim. And if it were to happen the chance of you and baby coming out safely is slim even in the hospital setting! Again OP educate yourself, don't let others scare you! I also suggest posting in the pregnancy group, lots of great info and well educated natural minded Mommas there!! 

FYI If I would of had my last baby in a hospital I would of been ripped open no doubt, and he would of ended up in the NICU probably the entire hospital stay. Instead my midwife calmly and safely delivered my baby boy and he was immediately placed on my chest. 

Quoting katie23VA: Most hospitals won't allow a trial vbac after two c sections. A friend of mine had to have a home birth for that reason, but she was successful. IMO, if you can't try it in a hospital, it's stupid, naive, and selfish to do it at home. What if you rupture and can't get to the hospital fast enough? What were the reasons you had the c sections?

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

These are the risk of standard c-sections...look how high they are. I personally have known women to die from standard c-sections. One during and one a few months after from infection. There are actually considerably less risks associated with a home v-bac for a mother who is otherwise in great health, who has had a healthy pregnancy, and whos baby is healthy!

Risk of a cesarean procedure

A cesarean birth occurs through an incision in the abdominal wall and uterus rather than through the vagina. There has been a gradual increase in cesarean births over the past 30 years. In November of 2005, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported the national cesarean birth rate was the highest ever at 29.1%, which is over a quarter of all deliveries. This means that more than 1 in 4 women are likely to experience a cesarean delivery.

There are risks with any major surgical procedure. It is important to know and understand your risks before having a cesarean procedure. A good understanding will help you in your discussions with your health care provider and help you make informed decisions.

Risks And Complications For The Mom:

Take into account that most of the following risks are associated with any type of abdominal surgery.

• Infection: Infection can occur at the incision site, in the uterus and in other pelvic organs such as the bladder.
  • Hemorrhage or increased blood loss: There is more blood loss in a cesarean delivery than with a vaginal delivery. This can lead to anemia or a blood transfusion (1 to 6 women per 100 require a blood transfusion1).
  • Injury to organs: Possible injury to organs such as the bowel or bladder (2 per 1002).
  • Adhesions: Scar tissue may form inside the pelvic region causing blockage and pain. Adhesions can also lead to future pregnancy complications such as placenta previa or placental abruption3.
  • Extended hospital stay: After a cesarean, the normal stay in the hospital is 3-5 days after the birth, if there are no complications.
  • Extended recovery time: The amount of time needed for recovery after a cesarean can range from weeks to months. Extended recovery can have an impact on bonding time with your baby (1 in 14 report incisional pain six months or more after surgery4).
  • Reactions to medications: There can be a negative reaction to the anesthesia given during a cesarean or negative reaction to pain medication given after the procedure.
  • Risk of additional surgeries: Includes possible hysterectomy, bladder repair or another cesarean.
  • Maternal mortality: The maternal mortality rate for a cesarean is higher than with a vaginal birth.
  • Emotional reactions: Some women who have had a cesarean report feeling negatively about their birth experience and may have trouble with initial bonding with their baby5.

Risks And Complications For The Baby:

• Premature birth: If gestational age was not calculated correctly, a baby delivered by cesarean could be delivered too early and have low birth weight6.
  • Breathing problems: When delivered by cesarean, a baby is more likely to have breathing and respiratory problems. Some studies show the existence of greater need for assistance with breathing and immediate care after a cesarean than with a vaginal delivery7.
  • Low APGAR scores: Low APGAR scores can be the result of anesthesia, fetal distress before the delivery or lack of stimulation during delivery (Vaginal birth provides natural stimulation to the baby while in the birth canal). Babies born by cesarean are 50% more likely to have lower APGAR scores than those born vaginally8.
  • Fetal injury: Very rarely, the baby may be nicked or cut during the incision (on average, 1 or 2 babies per 100 will be cut during the surgery9).

If your health care provider has suggested a cesarean and you are in a non-emergency situation, take time to thoroughly discuss your options regarding the procedure.

• Find out why a cesarean procedure has been recommended in your situation.
  • Ask for any alternatives that might be an option in your particular situation.
  • Have your health care provider do a comparison of all the possible risks and complications for you and your baby for a cesarean versus a regular birth.
  • Get information regarding the standard procedures after a cesarean (i.e., when you can hold your baby, if the newborn evaluation can be done with the baby on your chest, how soon you can try to breastfeed, whether you will be given medication that will make you drowsy after the delivery).
ag421
by Aimee on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Well long story short my doc made the decision i was young(18) and had no idea what i was doing...i was due aug 19th and he didn't show so i was scheduled to be induced Aug 20th at 7am.i went in around 645 and started having contractions as soon as i sat down in the waiting room...they got me in a room and checked me..i was going into labor..then my Dr decided to still give me pitocin :( i was in labor for 7 hrs she broke my water and then told me the cord was around his neck and he was in distress and we need to get him out now..an ordered an emergency c section:/ my daughter was a repeat c section..

Quoting katie23VA: Most hospitals won't allow a trial vbac after two c sections. A friend of mine had to have a home birth for that reason, but she was successful. IMO, if you can't try it in a hospital, it's stupid, naive, and selfish to do it at home. What if you rupture and can't get to the hospital fast enough? What were the reasons you had the c sections?
ag421
by Aimee on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Yea unfortunately I feel like a dummy..it truely is my biggest regret of my life:( i wish i knew what i know now but thanks for the info im really thinking about a midwife:)

Quoting NoraDun:

You have a WONDERFUL chance of a VBAC if you are extremely particular about who you see for your pregnancy and you make sure you are educated on the truth. Obs are so full of crap these days. The scare tactics they use to do c-sections blow me away. If your comfortable with a homebirth that would be my biggest suggest and would give you your highest chance at a v-bac. If not find a birthing center, or a hospital birthing midwife and talk with her. But I would ask about her v-bac stats because I went to a hospital birthing midwife with my second and she was by far worse then any OB. So natural minded, someone well educated, but who understands the human body and the way a woman is supposed to labor naturally, thats who you need to find! I wish you the best hun, I hate hearing about women who have unnessesary c-sections, or who are forced to have a csection because of previous c-sections! 

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Its sounds like your labor would of probably progressed nicely! Sad they tried to rush it! Education is key I can't say it enough! I bet you would handle birthing well! My last homebirth my son had the cord tight around his neck. He was also extremely large. But I had a midwife who knew her stuff and things played out perfectly. I got his head out, as soon as his color changed she told me to push and she pulled. He poped out, blue. She gave him a breath and then put him in my arms. She had see research about baby's responding better if put directly in Moms arms then rushed away to the NICU etc. So I held him while we watched him pinkin up and breath! My birth would of went terribly wrong in a hospital....IF they would of even allowed me to deliver him at all. I was told with my 1st and second I may have trouble delivering an 8 lber. He was a 10lber and my labor was 18 mins LOL 

Quoting ag421: Well long story short my doc made the decision i was young(18) and had no idea what i was doing...i was due aug 19th and he didn't show so i was scheduled to be induced Aug 20th at 7am.i went in around 645 and started having contractions as soon as i sat down in the waiting room...they got me in a room and checked me..i was going into labor..then my Dr decided to still give me pitocin :( i was in labor for 7 hrs she broke my water and then told me the cord was around his neck and he was in distress and we need to get him out now..an ordered an emergency c section:/ my daughter was a repeat c section..

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I had my first young too and I was SOOOO lucky that they didn't do a cpsection. They did force an epidural on me. Which is really risky anyway. And my baby suffered from it. WE live and we learn, you can't beat yourself up for it. All you can do is try to prevent it next time. Be realistic sometimes serious situations come up where c-sections are truly needed. But you have to determine what is truth and what is Drs pulling their crap! A midwife would be able to help you with that. And if you decide you arent comfortable home birthing find a VERY good Doula and have her go to the hospital with you. One who knows her stuff and will argue in your behalf if need be to keep you out of the operating room unless truly needed! 

Remembering to avoid anything unnatural is key too. Allow baby to come on his or her own, avoid cervical checks, no meds, etc. Those all will make another c-section less likely! Good Luck hun, you can do it!!!! 

Quoting ag421: Yea unfortunately I feel like a dummy..it truely is my biggest regret of my life:( i wish i knew what i know now but thanks for the info im really thinking about a midwife:)
Quoting NoraDun:

ag421
by Aimee on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Yea i get that..im so nervous and scared:( i think i can get through it with some support though:) my son was 8 lbs 4 oz..my daughter 7 lbs 14ozs so im hoping the next one will be smaller or same size:) i really want to try a vbac especially since i tried talking to my Dr about it with my second and she would not have it:/ 4 1/2years later im more educated and speak my mind alot more:) so i hope i can get a better outcome with my next pregnancy...is a water birth any better or not really any differnce for vbac?

Quoting NoraDun:

I had my first young too and I was SOOOO lucky that they didn't do a cpsection. They did force an epidural on me. Which is really risky anyway. And my baby suffered from it. WE live and we learn, you can't beat yourself up for it. All you can do is try to prevent it next time. Be realistic sometimes serious situations come up where c-sections are truly needed. But you have to determine what is truth and what is Drs pulling their crap! A midwife would be able to help you with that. And if you decide you arent comfortable home birthing find a VERY good Doula and have her go to the hospital with you. One who knows her stuff and will argue in your behalf if need be to keep you out of the operating room unless truly needed! 

Remembering to avoid anything unnatural is key too. Allow baby to come on his or her own, avoid cervical checks, no meds, etc. Those all will make another c-section less likely! Good Luck hun, you can do it!!!! 

Quoting ag421: Yea unfortunately I feel like a dummy..it truely is my biggest regret of my life:( i wish i knew what i know now but thanks for the info im really thinking about a midwife:)

Quoting NoraDun:

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Good luck! It's getting hard to find obs and hospitals that will do vbacs even after 1 c/s. I hope you can find a provider who will work with you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)