Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Equate (Wal-Mart brand) OPKs? *Edit

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:33 PM
  • 6 Replies

Mobile Photo

I purchased some Wal-Mart brand OPK strips last week. I've never used any, because I'm pretty good at narrowing down my fertile window with CP/CM. My cycles are also pretty regular. I just thought I would use these out of curiosity.

Does anyone use this brand and like them? I'm almost positive I'm reaching ovulation. FF says tomorrow, and I have EWCM and my cervix is soft, high, and open. However, the OPK I took this morning looks exactly like the one from Friday. They're not getting much darker. I've used FMU for each one. On the one I took this morning, the line was darker at 3 minutes, but then after maybe 10 minutes it faded. You can barely see it.

Has anyone had good luck with these, or are they a flop?

ETA: I took another OPK a couple minutes ago (it's 10:30 PM here) and I think it's almost positive. Good thing we BD'd tonight! I'm hoping we can tomorrow too, if DH is up to it.
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
celestegood
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:34 PM
BUmp good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOne2710
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:37 PM
Thank you :)

Quoting celestegood: BUmp good luck
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:33 PM

I am not a fan of them. In my experience them along with the dollar store tests were far too sensitive. I would also notice that at the 5 min mark it would be negative but by 7 mins or so it would darken and look more positive. It was annoying. 

All that being said it is not generally recommended that you test with FMU. Unlike the HCG hormone the LH surge is expelled later in the day as you get up and start moving about. I generally tested around 11am (SMU) 3 pm and 9 pm

MommyOfOne2710
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this
That makes sense. Thank you! I took one a few minutes ago, just to see, and I think it's almost positive.

Quoting NoraDun:

I am not a fan of them. In my experience them along with the dollar store tests were far too sensitive. I would also notice that at the 5 min mark it would be negative but by 7 mins or so it would darken and look more positive. It was annoying. 

All that being said it is not generally recommended that you test with FMU. Unlike the HCG hormone the LH surge is expelled later in the day as you get up and start moving about. I generally tested around 11am (SMU) 3 pm and 9 pm

noonelikeme564
by Group Admin on Oct. 27, 2015 at 4:05 AM
I used the dollar tree brand and they worked perfect for me, but I agree with not using fmu! Pee on those strips around 11am to get best results. Lol! I had a stash of cheapies and would test twice a day once around 11-noon, then again around 8-9pm! I noticed some cycles I would still miss my surge by testing daily, so for me twice daily was perfect! GL this cycle!;-)♡♥♡♥
MommyOfOne2710
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 8:44 AM
I had no idea about not using FMU, so thank you! :) Like I said, this is my first time ever using them, and I'm experimenting more than anything else. Based on my CP/CM, I'm pretty positive I'm ovulating today. I hope we caught the egg!

Quoting noonelikeme564: I used the dollar tree brand and they worked perfect for me, but I agree with not using fmu! Pee on those strips around 11am to get best results. Lol! I had a stash of cheapies and would test twice a day once around 11-noon, then again around 8-9pm! I noticed some cycles I would still miss my surge by testing daily, so for me twice daily was perfect! GL this cycle!;-)♡♥♡♥
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)