Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm totally bummed. :(

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 7:39 AM
  • 16 Replies

The prolactin levels being high has me completely bummed out.

There will be no TTC, no Christmas surprise, nothing. not with a 3MM lining, and no estrogen/progesterone.

I have to wait until the end of the week, to get my labs. We are ruling out liver function, diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid and quite a few other things, that could elevate my prolactin. If everything else comes back normal, my GP wanted to rule out a pituitary tumor. Except... she's leaving and wont' be coming back after this month. She didn't even tell me. I found out when I went to schedule my next follow up apt... and was told she wouldn't be there anymore.

I don't even know if she's going to a local place where I could follow her, or what. :( So, now I've got apts with a new GP, but I don't meet them until Jan, and I now have to drive 6 hours+ round trip, to see a regular doctor for me and the kids.

I hope this new place is worth it. :(

It just sucks. I've got it scheduled, but what happens if they don't listen to me like she did? What happens if they disregard things, because i'm new, and they don't know me? I hate having to train new doctors to listen to me! LOL

This place has good reviews and people said they listen -- the only down side is they appear to be really pushy on vaccinations, so i'm hoping they can live with me refusing a few vaccines and spacing others out. I'm picky. I don't do chicken pox until my kids are older, and I won't be doing the HPV vaccine at all. We also don't do the flu vaccine each year. ^.^

Anyways. Just my mid-life crisis rant about doctors. :P

by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TM123KE7
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 7:42 AM
What exactly is prolactin? I go in tomorrow for a physical exam and they will be checking my vitamin levels. Is this something I need to get checked for
kman88
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 7:44 AM

Im sorry!!! 

I totally get it though, you were so excited to start trying again. Heck I think we were all excited for you. And now TTC needs to go back on the back burner while you find out the reason for your high levels. 

I hope its nothing serious and your levels can be dropped soon!

Hugs!

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 13, 2016 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

It definitely doesn't hurt, to get prolactin tested. It can prevent ovulation, periods, and other fertility issues. One of the most common reasons it's elevated, is nursing (or thyroid problems.)

I'm nursing, but in the weaning process, so I just am retesting it to see if levels are going down - or going up. If they are going down - no big deal, if they are staying the same or going up, then there's a huge problem!

Quoting TM123KE7: What exactly is prolactin? I go in tomorrow for a physical exam and they will be checking my vitamin levels. Is this something I need to get checked for

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 13, 2016 at 7:49 AM

I didn't know fenugreek could elevate levels, either. I was taking that on and off for digestive track health (and it boosts milk supply.)

Apparently, it has a side effect of overstimulating your prolactin levels, too. so I've got some chaste tree in liquid form, that i'll be supplementing with once I get the labs back that rules everything else out. It should normalize all my hormones with out drying up my milk supply.

Quoting kman88:

Im sorry!!! 

I totally get it though, you were so excited to start trying again. Heck I think we were all excited for you. And now TTC needs to go back on the back burner while you find out the reason for your high levels. 

Hugs!

kman88
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:01 AM

Hopefully cutting that out does the trick!!! 

Quoting kajira:

I didn't know fenugreek could elevate levels, either. I was taking that on and off for digestive track health (and it boosts milk supply.)

Apparently, it has a side effect of overstimulating your prolactin levels, too. so I've got some chaste tree in liquid form, that i'll be supplementing with once I get the labs back that rules everything else out. It should normalize all my hormones with out drying up my milk supply.

Quoting kman88:

Im sorry!!! 

Hugs!

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:07 AM

I haven't taken it in a while - but I took it with my last baby, never had elevated prolactin levels, so who knows!

Quoting kman88:

Hopefully cutting that out does the trick!!! 

Quoting kajira:

Quoting kman88:

Im sorry!!! 

Hugs!

Careeka22
by Caitlin on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Aww man this sucks, I really sorry! Hopefully they can figure out what is causing it and get everything under control and you can TTC in no time. Maybe just because you have been nursing non-stop for so long plus the extra pumping you were doing. Who knows maybe the new labs will already show decreased levels.

Sorry you have to get new drs. too. But if it makes you feel better I go to just a regular pedi and skip the flu and delay pox with no problems. I also won't do the HPV when my kids are older.

FYI since I didn't get a chance to make a post, the twins are both boys : )

moongemini
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Good luck !! I know its hard for you because you are so ready to go and you have it down to a science on what you need to do in order to have you babies and now its all screwy.

Sending good vibes your way that nothong is wrong and you are just a milk making machine this go around and your body needs to adjust from there.

Good luck !!! And fingers crossed you won't have a long wait.
kajira
by Emma on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I'm so excited for you.

One suggestion - make sure you give them very different sounding names, or you'll end up mixing them up constantly.

I screw up my kids names now that I have 4 of them as it is, I end up going Abbie, no wyatt, no ZOEY!!!! UGH! all the time lol

4+ is like the magic number for calling your kids by their siblings name, and it's made worse by kids who have close-sounding names :P

Quoting Careeka22:

Aww man this sucks, I really sorry! Hopefully they can figure out what is causing it and get everything under control and you can TTC in no time. Maybe just because you have been nursing non-stop for so long plus the extra pumping you were doing. Who knows maybe the new labs will already show decreased levels.

Sorry you have to get new drs. too. But if it makes you feel better I go to just a regular pedi and skip the flu and delay pox with no problems. I also won't do the HPV when my kids are older.

FYI since I didn't get a chance to make a post, the twins are both boys : )

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:59 AM

I hope so - I'm down to pumping twice a day, because I get so engorged my boobs can't take it and the baby pukes, if I don't. But it's first thing in the morning and right before bed.

So hopefully, I'll be able to wean the night time pumping session soon, then work on the morning one. My fertility dr said he'd redraw labs in 2-3 weeks, so worse case scenario, I'll swing by there and have them redo the prolactin labs, if my new GP won't.

Quoting moongemini: Good luck !! I know its hard for you because you are so ready to go and you have it down to a science on what you need to do in order to have you babies and now its all screwy. Sending good vibes your way that nothong is wrong and you are just a milk making machine this go around and your body needs to adjust from there. Good luck !!! And fingers crossed you won't have a long wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)