Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ectopic Pregnancy

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:42 PM
  • 20 Replies

One of the most overlooked medical diagnoses. The Ectopic Pregnancy is more common than doctors are even aware of. Most women are misdiagnosed. Being aware and educated is vital as an Ectopic Pregnancy can be life threatening.

Ectopic Pregnancy: Symptoms, Causes, Risks and Treatment

An ectopic pregnancy occurs when the fertilized egg attaches itself in a place other than inside the uterus. Almost all ectopic pregnancies occur in the fallopian tube and are thus sometimes called tubal pregnancies. The fallopian tubes are not designed to hold a growing embryo; thus, the fertilized egg in a tubal pregnancy cannot develop properly and must be treated. An ectopic pregnancy happens in 1 out of 50 pregnancies.

What causes an ectopic pregnancy?

Ectopic pregnancies are caused by one or more of the following:

• An infection or inflammation of the fallopian tube can cause it to become partially or entirely blocked.
  • Scar tissue from a previous infection or a surgical procedure on the tube may also impede the egg's movement.
  • Previous surgery in the pelvic area or on the tubes can cause adhesions.
  • Abnormal growths or a birth defect can result in an abnormality in the tube's shape.  

Who is at risk for having an ectopic pregnancy?

Risk factors for an ectopic pregnancy include the following:

What are the symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy?

Although you may experience typical signs and symptoms of pregnancy, the following symptoms may be used to help recognize a potential ectopic pregnancy:

• Sharp or stabbing pain that may come and go and vary in intensity. (The pain may be in the pelvis, abdomen, or even the shoulder and neck due to blood from a ruptured ectopic pregnancy gathering up under the diaphragm).
  • Vaginal bleeding, heavier or lighter than your normal period
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms
  • Weakness, dizziness, or fainting

It is important to contact your doctor immediately if you are experiencing sharp pain that lasts more than a few minutes or if you have bleeding.

How is an ectopic pregnancy diagnosed?

Ectopic pregnancies are diagnosed by your physician, who will probably first perform a pelvic exam to locate pain, tenderness, or a mass in the abdomen. Your physician will also use an ultrasound to determine whether the uterus contains a developing fetus. The measurement of hCG levels is also important. An hCG level that is lower than expected is one reason to suspect an ectopic pregnancy.

Your doctor may also test your progesterone levels because low levels could be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy. In addition, your physician may do a culdocentesis, which is a procedure that involves inserting a needle into a space at the very top of the vagina, behind the uterus and in front of the rectum. The presence of blood in this area may indicate bleeding from a ruptured fallopian tube.

How is an ectopic pregnancy treated?

An ectopic pregnancy may be treated in any of the following ways:

• Methotrexate may be given, which allows the body to absorb the pregnancy tissue and may save the fallopian tube, depending on how far the pregnancy has progressed.
  • If the tube has become stretched or has ruptured and started bleeding, part or all of it may have to be removed. In this case, bleeding needs to be stopped promptly, and emergency surgery is necessary.
  • Laparoscopic surgery under general anesthesia may be performed. This procedure involves a surgeon using a laparoscope to remove the ectopic pregnancy and repair or remove the affected fallopian tube. If the ectopic pregnancy cannot be removed by a laparoscopically, another surgical procedure called a laparotomy may be done.

What about my future?

Your hCG level will need to be rechecked on a regular basis until it reaches zero if you did not have your entire fallopian tube removed.  An hCG level that remains high could indicate that the ectopic tissue was not entirely removed, which would require surgery or medical management with methotrexate.

The chances of having a successful pregnancy after an ectopic pregnancy may be reduced, but this will depend on why the pregnancy was ectopic and your medical history. If the fallopian tubes have been left in place, you have approximately a 60% chance of having a successful pregnancy in the future.

f you think you are having an Ectopic Pregnancy seek medical help Immediately. TRUST your body and follow your gut. It could save your life!

Have you had an ectopic pregnancy? Please share your experience, symptoms and any pregnancies that followed.

by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
Beautifulmom513
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:52 PM
I had an ectopic pregnancy back in 2004. I seriously had no idea what it was. Never heard of it before. With my case, I had no idea I was even pregnant. I had no symptoms. One day I got really bad cramps and it just got worse and worse and then excruciating pain. I thought I was dying. It was worse than childbirth. It lasted about 20 mins then went away. Came and went like that for several days. Stupid me waited on getting it checked out. Finally went to urgent care and they said I was pregnant. Pregnancy never occurred to me. They insisted the pain was normal. I had a 2 year old at the time. I knew it was not normal. So they sent me for ultrasound the next day. The lady doing it wouldn't tell me what was going on. But wouldn't let me leave. Said she had to talk to my doctor immediately. Took about an hour for her to track him down and talk to him. From there she sent me to emergency room. As soon as I got there, they rushed me back and told me to undress and started prepping me for surgery. At this point, I still had no clue what was going on. Nobody would tell me. Finally Doctor came and told me all they could see was blood on ultrasound. I was bleeding internally really bad. But they didn't know why. So I was rushed into surgery. Wasn't until afterwards I found out it was ectopic pregnancy and pain I felt was burst tube. Seriously the scariest and most painful experience of my life. I have had 1 pregnancy since. I was scared to death and worrying it was another ectopic. Luckily it wasn't and I carried baby to term no problem. But we still want to have a few more kids and it's something that always on my mind and I worry greatly about.
bem8489
by Brandy on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:52 PM

I had my ectopic in June 2016. I found out i was pregnant May 21st and had emergency surgery June 5th. My HCG had been rising properly and the only issue I ws having (to my knowledge) was odd bleeding. Despite this my HCG still doubled every 48 hours. My doctor did not seem concerned as she said bleding in early pregnancy is common. At almost 7 weeks pregnant my HCG stopped rising. At this point she concluded I was most likely miscarring. She had me go and have another HCG test done. That showed my levels increase greatly. This is what made her think it was ectopic. After having an ultrasound (the 3rd one) it showed a mass at the end of my left tube. I was then sent to recieve the MTX shot, only it was too late. 3 days later I had to be rushed into the ER for severe abdominal pain. Ultrasoudn showed free fluid in my abdomen indicating internal bleeding. I was rushed to the OR for surgery and had my left tube removed.

The doctor told me the end of my left tube was fuzed down by scar tissue and that was why implantation happened there. The egg got stuck on its way through. She said she removed any scar tissue that was present on my right tube.

Now that I look back I did have other symptoms. I had severe diarrhea, shoulder pain and I was dizzy.

This is something I take very seriously. If I can help keep someone else from going through the same thing I will!

Beautifulmom513
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:52 PM
I had an ectopic pregnancy back in 2004. I seriously had no idea what it was. Never heard of it before. With my case, I had no idea I was even pregnant. I had no symptoms. One day I got really bad cramps and it just got worse and worse and then excruciating pain. I thought I was dying. It was worse than childbirth. It lasted about 20 mins then went away. Came and went like that for several days. Stupid me waited on getting it checked out. Finally went to urgent care and they said I was pregnant. Pregnancy never occurred to me. They insisted the pain was normal. I had a 2 year old at the time. I knew it was not normal. So they sent me for ultrasound the next day. The lady doing it wouldn't tell me what was going on. But wouldn't let me leave. Said she had to talk to my doctor immediately. Took about an hour for her to track him down and talk to him. From there she sent me to emergency room. As soon as I got there, they rushed me back and told me to undress and started prepping me for surgery. At this point, I still had no clue what was going on. Nobody would tell me. Finally Doctor came and told me all they could see was blood on ultrasound. I was bleeding internally really bad. But they didn't know why. So I was rushed into surgery. Wasn't until afterwards I found out it was ectopic pregnancy and pain I felt was burst tube. Seriously the scariest and most painful experience of my life. I have had 1 pregnancy since. I was scared to death and worrying it was another ectopic. Luckily it wasn't and I carried baby to term no problem. But we still want to have a few more kids and it's something that always on my mind and I worry greatly about.
Kimipeli
by Group Admin on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:02 PM

I believe this may be the first time I am hearing your story. I am so sorry for what you went through, the huge loss and that the doctors didn't tell you what was going on until you were all ready to go in for surgery. I can't imagine the fear you had. Glad to hear you had another baby! I am sure you will always be fearful. I am glad it all turned out well!

Quoting Beautifulmom513: I had an ectopic pregnancy back in 2004. I seriously had no idea what it was. Never heard of it before. With my case, I had no idea I was even pregnant. I had no symptoms. One day I got really bad cramps and it just got worse and worse and then excruciating pain. I thought I was dying. It was worse than childbirth. It lasted about 20 mins then went away. Came and went like that for several days. Stupid me waited on getting it checked out. Finally went to urgent care and they said I was pregnant. Pregnancy never occurred to me. They insisted the pain was normal. I had a 2 year old at the time. I knew it was not normal. So they sent me for ultrasound the next day. The lady doing it wouldn't tell me what was going on. But wouldn't let me leave. Said she had to talk to my doctor immediately. Took about an hour for her to track him down and talk to him. From there she sent me to emergency room. As soon as I got there, they rushed me back and told me to undress and started prepping me for surgery. At this point, I still had no clue what was going on. Nobody would tell me. Finally Doctor came and told me all they could see was blood on ultrasound. I was bleeding internally really bad. But they didn't know why. So I was rushed into surgery. Wasn't until afterwards I found out it was ectopic pregnancy and pain I felt was burst tube. Seriously the scariest and most painful experience of my life. I have had 1 pregnancy since. I was scared to death and worrying it was another ectopic. Luckily it wasn't and I carried baby to term no problem. But we still want to have a few more kids and it's something that always on my mind and I worry greatly about.

Beautifulmom513
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:36 PM

I had posted my story here back in 2012 when I found out I was pregnant with my now 4 year old but didn't know yet if it was another ectopic or not. I had found out really early and it was a long 2 weeks or so of blood testing and ultrasounds before knowing for sure. I was so scared and nervous the whole entire time. We have been TTC again with our third since she was 1 years old. So 3 years now. My doctor told me even with a successful pregnant after ectopic, my chance of another, is still pretty high. So its something I have to really be careful about. Its made me much more in-tune with my body lol. But yes, it was a super scary experience. I had no idea I was pregnant. Then was happy when they told me I was. Then finding out I lost it. It was just a huge roller coaster of emotions for a few days there. I hope to never experience anything like that again. It sucked too because my husband had just left a few weeks prior for a 1 year deployment overseas. Luckily he was still in the states. But was several states away. He was able to get emergency leave to come back home and be with me for about 2 weeks before going back out. But it took several days. I was already out of the hospital and back home before he made it home. 

Quoting Kimipeli:

I believe this may be the first time I am hearing your story. I am so sorry for what you went through, the huge loss and that the doctors didn't tell you what was going on until you were all ready to go in for surgery. I can't imagine the fear you had. Glad to hear you had another baby! I am sure you will always be fearful. I am glad it all turned out well!

Quoting Beautifulmom513: I had an ectopic pregnancy back in 2004. I seriously had no idea what it was. Never heard of it before. With my case, I had no idea I was even pregnant. I had no symptoms. One day I got really bad cramps and it just got worse and worse and then excruciating pain. I thought I was dying. It was worse than childbirth. It lasted about 20 mins then went away. Came and went like that for several days. Stupid me waited on getting it checked out. Finally went to urgent care and they said I was pregnant. Pregnancy never occurred to me. They insisted the pain was normal. I had a 2 year old at the time. I knew it was not normal. So they sent me for ultrasound the next day. The lady doing it wouldn't tell me what was going on. But wouldn't let me leave. Said she had to talk to my doctor immediately. Took about an hour for her to track him down and talk to him. From there she sent me to emergency room. As soon as I got there, they rushed me back and told me to undress and started prepping me for surgery. At this point, I still had no clue what was going on. Nobody would tell me. Finally Doctor came and told me all they could see was blood on ultrasound. I was bleeding internally really bad. But they didn't know why. So I was rushed into surgery. Wasn't until afterwards I found out it was ectopic pregnancy and pain I felt was burst tube. Seriously the scariest and most painful experience of my life. I have had 1 pregnancy since. I was scared to death and worrying it was another ectopic. Luckily it wasn't and I carried baby to term no problem. But we still want to have a few more kids and it's something that always on my mind and I worry greatly about.

Kimipeli
by Group Admin on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:52 PM

Wow, I can't even imagine!!!! I can't imagine the loss, the fear of surgery, the fear your husband wasn't home and may not make it home, the fear of new pregnancies and so on. Totally can not even begin to imagine! I'm so sorry!!!  I started to ttc #1 in 2012, but I don't think I joined this forum that soon? Not all together sure, though. Definitely wasn't very active with it.  We never did conceive and just a few days/week ago posted we are not ttc anymore- unexplained infertility, likely only hope IVF. I will keep you in my thoughts and keep all my fingers crossed that you have another healthy, none eventful pregnancy soon!!! Sending you lots of baby dust!

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

I had posted my story here back in 2012 when I found out I was pregnant with my now 4 year old but didn't know yet if it was another ectopic or not. I had found out really early and it was a long 2 weeks or so of blood testing and ultrasounds before knowing for sure. I was so scared and nervous the whole entire time. We have been TTC again with our third since she was 1 years old. So 3 years now. My doctor told me even with a successful pregnant after ectopic, my chance of another, is still pretty high. So its something I have to really be careful about. Its made me much more in-tune with my body lol. But yes, it was a super scary experience. I had no idea I was pregnant. Then was happy when they told me I was. Then finding out I lost it. It was just a huge roller coaster of emotions for a few days there. I hope to never experience anything like that again. It sucked too because my husband had just left a few weeks prior for a 1 year deployment overseas. Luckily he was still in the states. But was several states away. He was able to get emergency leave to come back home and be with me for about 2 weeks before going back out. But it took several days. I was already out of the hospital and back home before he made it home. 

Quoting Kimipeli:

Beautifulmom513
by Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 2:28 PM

Thank you. It was such a hard thing to go thru. It was crazy. I was hoping to be done with kids at this age. And with the huge age gaps, it feels like we are starting over. It took us 7 years to conceive our daughter. We had pretty much given up hope. And then out of nowhere, I was pregnant. It took my husband a long time to come around and really believe I was pregnant. We were such shock and disbelief. So never give up hope. It always seems to happen when you least expect it. Since our daughter turned 1, we have just stopped using protection. Kind of just letting things happen. Kind of we aren't trying trying, but we aren't preventing. But I am 37, going on 38 this year. Unfortunately we just don't have much time left as far as having more kids. I am probably going to give it another year or so, and if we don't have any luck on our own, we will have to get some help. I am hoping all I need is just a little clomid or something. But we will see. Good luck to you as well. I will keep you in my thoughts too. 

Quoting Kimipeli:

Wow, I can't even imagine!!!! I can't imagine the loss, the fear of surgery, the fear your husband wasn't home and may not make it home, the fear of new pregnancies and so on. Totally can not even begin to imagine! I'm so sorry!!!  I started to ttc #1 in 2012, but I don't think I joined this forum that soon? Not all together sure, though. Definitely wasn't very active with it.  We never did conceive and just a few days/week ago posted we are not ttc anymore- unexplained infertility, likely only hope IVF. I will keep you in my thoughts and keep all my fingers crossed that you have another healthy, none eventful pregnancy soon!!! Sending you lots of baby dust!

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

Quoting Kimipeli:

Kimipeli
by Group Admin on Feb. 16, 2017 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much! I will be 38 this year as well, so we will see. =) Thank you again!

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

Thank you. It was such a hard thing to go thru. It was crazy. I was hoping to be done with kids at this age. And with the huge age gaps, it feels like we are starting over. It took us 7 years to conceive our daughter. We had pretty much given up hope. And then out of nowhere, I was pregnant. It took my husband a long time to come around and really believe I was pregnant. We were such shock and disbelief. So never give up hope. It always seems to happen when you least expect it. Since our daughter turned 1, we have just stopped using protection. Kind of just letting things happen. Kind of we aren't trying trying, but we aren't preventing. But I am 37, going on 38 this year. Unfortunately we just don't have much time left as far as having more kids. I am probably going to give it another year or so, and if we don't have any luck on our own, we will have to get some help. I am hoping all I need is just a little clomid or something. But we will see. Good luck to you as well. I will keep you in my thoughts too. 

Quoting Kimipeli:

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

Quoting Kimipeli:

Lollypeg9896
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2017 at 1:03 PM
Is this appropriate for TTC, or should it be posted in the pregnancy forum?
bem8489
by Brandy on Feb. 17, 2017 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I discussed it with the head admin and she thought it was a great idea. Even as women are ttc it is still good to know the warning signs. I know plenty of women who were ttc and never knew they were pregnant until having surgery. It's pretty important for anyone ttc to know what to look for.

Quoting Lollypeg9896: Is this appropriate for TTC, or should it be posted in the pregnancy forum?
Lollypeg9896
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2017 at 3:05 PM
Ok, just checking. I agree it is important information, I lost both my tubes to separate ectopic pregnancies. I just question if it is appropriate for the TTC forum.

Quoting bem8489: I discussed it with the head admin and she thought it was a great idea. Even as women are ttc it is still good to know the warning signs. I know plenty of women who were ttc and never knew they were pregnant until having surgery. It's pretty important for anyone ttc to know what to look for.

Quoting Lollypeg9896: Is this appropriate for TTC, or should it be posted in the pregnancy forum?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)