Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ovarian Cyst/Ovulation?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM
  • 11 Replies

For those of you with ovarian cyst, do you feel a difference between them and ovulation pains? About 16 days ago now I had some pretty sharp O pains. Thought maybe I was ovulating. But here I am 16 days later and no AF. I tested around 14dpo and it was negative! Pretty sure I just didn't O, geared up like always, but failed! Well yesterday I start getting super sharp pains in my right ovary (I generally O from my left when I do actually O) It was so bad so that I was rubbing my low abdomen, and it kinda felt tender to touch. I think within about an hour it eased up. I have had O pains like this, so it is possible I ovulated, I will mark it as a question mark on my calender. What I am wondering though is if it is a cyst. I have had cysts in the past, but nothing that caused too much discomfort. And they absorbed with the start of AF normally. I am considering starting progesterone to bring on an AF if it is a cyst and continues to cause discomfort. I really dislike doctors, and am hoping to avoid them at all cost, so I will not be going that route atleast for now. 

by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vkp23
by Virginia on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:49 PM

For me it depends. Ometimes I have pain around O time, others I don't.  Idk if it's the cyst from pcos or ovulation.  I honestly didn't even know I had them until when I was diagnosed and they had found 15 on my right ovary alone. 

My mom had pcos too, and when she would ovulate they would rupture and she would get really sick throwing up and in a massive amount of pain to the point  her being taken to the hospital a few times.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 3:44 PM

Yea I think that is what causes such strong O pains for me, my PCOS. Generally I can't even walk for a good hour, because it is almost as painful as my contractions. 

My pains have been back all day today. Steady throbbing and burning sensation in my right ovary. Tender to the touch as well. I have been rubbing on some lavender and clary sage EO's which has helped with the pain some. I also am doing some herbal tea blends that are good for hormone balance. Hoping that it eases up! The pain isn't excruciating by any means but just there and uncomfortable! Any pains I have had related to cysts or ovulation have never lasted this long, which is the only thing that has me kinda weirded out! Anyway thanks for sharing hun! I appreciate it!

Quoting vkp23:

For me it depends. Ometimes I have pain around O time, others I don't.  Idk if it's the cyst from pcos or ovulation.  I honestly didn't even know I had them until when I was diagnosed and they had found 15 on my right ovary alone. 

My mom had pcos too, and when she would ovulate they would rupture and she would get really sick throwing up and in a massive amount of pain to the point  her being taken to the hospital a few times.  

vkp23
by Virginia on Apr. 10, 2017 at 5:05 PM

Have you tried cinnamon?  Pcos is caused by an insulin resistance (I'm sure you know) and cinnamon helps with sensitizing you to the insulin. 

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 5:30 PM

Yea thanks hun, I am on cinnamon, but not for IR. I have type 2 PCOS, Non-Insunlin Resistant PCOS, not type 1 IR-PCOS. I was treated in the past for IR and it actually did more harm than good unfortuantely! 

Quoting vkp23:

Have you tried cinnamon?  Pcos is caused by an insulin resistance (I'm sure you know) and cinnamon helps with sensitizing you to the insulin. 

vkp23
by Virginia on Apr. 10, 2017 at 5:36 PM

Oh man!  That sucks.  I didn't know there was a non ir form.  That's interesting.  I know the metformin helped me.  I don't have any currently though  will be talking to my OBGYN in may bout it.  Right now I take cinnamon.

Quoting NoraDun:

Yea thanks hun, I am on cinnamon, but not for IR. I have type 2 PCOS, Non-Insunlin Resistant PCOS, not type 1 IR-PCOS. I was treated in the past for IR and it actually did more harm than good unfortuantely! 

Quoting vkp23:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 5:50 PM

1. Type 1 PCOS:

The classic PCOS presentation described above, with ovulatory issues, increased testosterone, and insulin-resistance.

2. Type 2 PCOS:

The non-insulin-resistant PCOS we have already described, with ovulatory issues and increased testosterone levels.

3. Non-Traditional PCOS 1:

Presents with ovulatory issues, normal testosterone levels, obesity and insulin-resistance.

4. Non-Traditional PCOS 2:

Presents with normal ovulatory patterns, increased testosterone levels and mild insulin-resistance.
    I actually was pretty sure I wasn't IR when my dr talked with me about metformin. But because I was desperate I took it. It caused horribly low sugars, headaches, and hair loss. And it didn't improve my ovulation more than normal. I was on it when I concieved my 4th and I whole heartidly believe it cause his large size. As it was the only difference in pregnancies between him and the others. My midwife agreed with me but any Drs I have talked to about said they disagreed. Who knows!! I think generally type 2 is more of a condition that is genetic, or from the start. I have had it since I began cycling at 10. Weight loss doesn't help. I am doing a low carb diet which doesn't help. Etc. Those are things that many people find to be helpful in managing their PCOS. I am still trying to lose weight and eat better just because I know it will mean a healthier pregnancy. But I get so annoyed that nothing seems to help my situation. 
Quoting vkp23:

Oh man!  That sucks.  I didn't know there was a non ir form.  That's interesting.  I know the metformin helped me.  I don't have any currently though  will be talking to my OBGYN in may bout it.  Right now I take cinnamon.

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting vkp23:

vkp23
by Virginia on Apr. 10, 2017 at 6:27 PM

That is all very interesting.  I think I might be non-traditional type 1. I know I have a hell of a time losing weight.  I try so hard and nothing helps it come off.

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 6:30 PM

Yes, that is certainly a struggle with PCOS! 

Quoting vkp23:

That is all very interesting.  I think I might be non-traditional type 1. I know I have a hell of a time losing weight.  I try so hard and nothing helps it come off.

wife-4-life
by on Apr. 11, 2017 at 10:34 PM
I too have pics. If my cysts aren't rupturing I don't feel them too much- very mild and tolerable. So most times if I do ovulate, the O pains are more painful. If there is a cyst rupturing it's 10xs worse than O pains.
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2017 at 12:03 AM

Do you always bleed when they rupture. I haven't had cyst pains in a long time, but I thought I remembered the last time I went to the Dr for one they said it is possible for them to reabsorb vs cause bleeding? I still have had no bleeding, but the pains have eased up today. 

Quoting wife-4-life: I too have pics. If my cysts aren't rupturing I don't feel them too much- very mild and tolerable. So most times if I do ovulate, the O pains are more painful. If there is a cyst rupturing it's 10xs worse than O pains.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)