Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Essential oils while ttc.

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

We are hoping to start officially ttc next month. For the past couple of months, I've been struggling anxiety and depression. I've been getting full blown anxiety attacks which has never happened before. It's not from ttc, but multiple family issues that are too long to go into. I do not want to go on medication right now since anything they could prescribe could be bad if I were to get pregnant.

I have been using a roll on blend called "calming" that has helped my anxiety a lot. I also use a small amount of roll on lavender at night to help me sleep. All I'm getting in looking up these oils is to consult my obgyn, but I'm not finding a lot on potential side effects. I wouldn't use them anyway if I do get pregnant, but I'm just curious if anyone has used any while ttc or even pregnant and what their obgyn said about it?  

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jun. 21, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Bump

ablackdolphin
by Member on Jun. 22, 2017 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I have used them no problem. Vetiver and lavender.
Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jun. 22, 2017 at 12:24 PM
May I ask what vetvier is?

Quoting ablackdolphin: I have used them no problem. Vetiver and lavender.
carlycarson
by Member on Jul. 7, 2017 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I use oils 24/7 while pregnant, nursing, in the water that baby is born in and on baby right away. I recommend the book Gentle Babies by Debra Raybern. ......^^^^^ vetiver is an oil with a earthy grounding aroma that is calming and relaxing (young living oil)
noonelikeme564
by Group Admin on Jul. 8, 2017 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I use lavender oil all the time for relaxation...before and during pregnancy. I'm also using peppermint oil now as well because it helps a bit with the nausea.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2017 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

https://www.planttherapy.com/blog/2016/12/27/pregnancy-and-nursing-safety-part-1/

https://www.planttherapy.com/blog/2017/03/09/pregnancy-and-nursing-safety-part-2/

Use proper dilution practices, and avoid MLM companies improper suggestions, most importantly digestion! Some oils are fine while pregnant but not while nursing because of milk supply, so be sure to be cautious. You can find an aromatherapist nearby to ask questions, contact PT AT, or feel free to message me. I am not certified yet, but am beginning my training for alternative medicine, specializing in aromatherapy and herbs.

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2017 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Peppermint oil and ginger are great for nausea! A word of caution if you plan to nurse, it is suggested to stop using PO about a month prior to delivery as it can reduce milk supply. Obviously, if you are using it for nausea it is likely you won't continue that long anyway, but it is recommended to be avoided while nursing. 

Quoting noonelikeme564: I use lavender oil all the time for relaxation...before and during pregnancy. I'm also using peppermint oil now as well because it helps a bit with the nausea.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

momofnatalie
by on Jul. 8, 2017 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I used lavendar oil while pregnant.  

Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jul. 8, 2017 at 1:12 PM
These links are super helpful! Thank you.

Quoting NoraDun:

https://www.planttherapy.com/blog/2016/12/27/pregnancy-and-nursing-safety-part-1/

https://www.planttherapy.com/blog/2017/03/09/pregnancy-and-nursing-safety-part-2/

Use proper dilution practices, and avoid MLM companies improper suggestions, most importantly digestion! Some oils are fine while pregnant but not while nursing because of milk supply, so be sure to be cautious. You can find an aromatherapist nearby to ask questions, contact PT AT, or feel free to message me. I am not certified yet, but am beginning my training for alternative medicine, specializing in aromatherapy and herbs.

vkp23
by Virginia on Jul. 8, 2017 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a defuser I use in our room with a bunch of dif oils. Lol. I love that thing. I use a lot of lavender and grapefruit oils in it.  I also have this necklace with a pendant that opens up and holds a felt pad you put oils on and wear.  I love that thing too.  I wear it when I go out.  I have bipolar and severe generalized anxiety.  I take two medications daily.  I can't stop taking my meds though.  It's bad off enough that I've been declead disabled/unable to work due to it.  But I work with my psychiatrist in adjusting my meds while pregnant so that things stay safe for everyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)