Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby is here - vbac #2 - and we are home! (Pic heavy/graphic)

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:27 PM
  • 27 Replies
2 moms liked this

37 weeks, I dilated over night to 4... which was the magic # my doctor was looking for - because she knew she couldn't leave me to dilate and go into active labor with out control of the situation. I have fast labors, GBS positive, and she was leavng for a few days and didn't want the on-call to manage my labor since they aren't as vbac supportive as her.

She started the pitocin. after 12 hours, turning it off twice to give baby and me a break (I wasn't feeling them actively, but baby and I would show signs of needing rest for an hour or two after a few hours of the meds at higher doses and she was trying to prevent a hemorrhage situation since I was a vbac.)

I even ate pizza, and labored how I wanted for the most part. Including in the shower and got to have wireless monitoring towards the end so I could have freedom of movement. We had a couple of not-so great nurses and when my nurse went on break the charge nurse stressed me out by saying baby was in distress. (Baby was fine, she just wasn't used to people being out of bed and wanted me to lay down and said the wireless monitoring wasn't working for me.... which it was working fine - my nurse came back from lunch, put a new wireless monitor on me and whatever the "charge nurse" thought she saw, never came back once the wireless monitor was replaced with a new one. I had gotten in the shower and one of the wires had came loose making the reading inaccurate but she didn't know how to fix it because she didn't use wireless monitoring often enough to know how to replace the unit with a new one - so instead she tried to make me swap it out for the Toco - which until we had wireless monitoring, was not accurate for me or baby anyways. We got lucky that I got a really good, experienced nurse who knew how to use it and put it on properly, because the old-fashioned monitor was failing to pick up my contractions and would continuously lose the baby every 30 seconds.) 

The doctor finally came in and gave me the "it's turning into the weekend which means we have a skeletal crew over the weekend. They'll want this baby out, here are our options." 

She decided that she would break my water and I put it off for just a little longer. Finally at 245am it was time I wasn't progressing past 5cm. :( Pitocin and I don't really get along, but we tried to use it to get as far as we could.

Honestly, I think her "vigorous" check during the labor when she stopped the pitocin is what dilated me another cm, rather than the pitocin. I had my bloody show and streaks of blood after that, and to me, that was the sign I was waiting for, in order to feel confident that breaking my water would progress me. I needed some sign that my body was in labor and not just hoping it was contracting, since I contract non-stop with out ever having a baby, thanks to prodromal labor.

About 30 minutes after she broke my water, I started having intense pain. The pitocin was at a 12, and I wanted it turned off. They refused to turn it off until they made sure I was progressing. i told the nurse that I couldn't do this, whatever this was for hours. She told me she was supposed to check me at 3:45 and then we could discuss pain medication options + turning the pitocin down.

I told her if she lied to me about my dilation to make me feel better, or keep me from getting pain options I would kill her. I couldn't get on top of the contractions with pitocin - I knew ths from my induction with #1, and know that my spontaneous labors have spoiled me. They don't hurt. This made me angry, because I couldn't get my body to cooperate with me because pitocin was making them too intense compared to what I was used too.

She checked me at 3:45 and told me I was 6-7CM - I told her I changed my mind and I was done, I couldn't do this for hours and hours when it felt this bad. After she checked me, my body started pushing on it's own and I told her that I blamed her for not letting me get the epidural and now my body was pushing.

she told me I couldn't push because I wasn't dilated enough. She told me that if I could wait another 30-45 minutes she'd get someone to help me for the epidural. 

She also told me NOT to push because I wasn't dilated enough. I told her I was going to kick her in the balls, and then told her since she didn't have balls, I would cut the balls off a goat, tape them to her leg to give her a pair of balls, and then kick THOSE balls....

She decided to recheck me, this was at 4am. I was a 9... and pushing.

She left the room and my daughter (who's 7) came of and was putting on a pair of gloves. She told me "mom, I got this if they dont' come back in time, don't worry I promise  won't drop him."

I told her to come here and breathe through a contraction with me, I hadn't been able to get off my back since the nurse checked me and said I was a 9. I didn't want to push him out on the bed with out the doctor there because I didn't want to give birth like that, so I tried not to push. LOL

She came back at like 4:08 roughly, and told me to get on my hands and knees. My husband barely walked into the room as the baby was crowning, so all 3 of my younger children saw the birth, my 7 year old helped catch her brother, and he was born at 4:15am. Less then 2 hours after she broke my water.

Ironically, when she broke my water, she'd told me that I had time and it would take a while and not to rush my husband back over to the hospital... and he almost missed it. LOL I dont' think she realized how fast I'd dilate because from when symptoms started, it was just under an hour from the symptoms/pain to birth.

I guess an hour of pain, all things considered, really wasn't that bad... but right before I started pushing I told them to turn the fucking pitocin off again, so I got it turned off at 9am, :/ So pushing wasn't as bad as the transition stage.

I pushed his head out and mentally was thinking - okay, great, he's got the same size head my girls did, I got this.... then I felt his shoulders just... stop. I was sitting here thinking "WTF is with these monster shoulders" and as I pushed him out I was like "GET THIS THING OUT OF ME< OMG>" because his shoulders were freaking huge. LOL

As he came out, he aspirated fluid, and I pushed him out in 3 pushes (1 to get his head down, 1 to get his head out, and 1 to get his freaking shoulders out.) Because of the high volume of fluid I had, when he came out, it literally gushed out of me, and his head was still down between my legs and landed directly in his face.

He spent 48 hours in the nicu, the first day was on a hi-flo canula and IV/labs to watch his bilirubin levels, make sure his sugars were fine (they were) it was mostly just waiting for his lungs to dry out after I nearly drowned him with fluid.

He recovered pretty quickly and actually got discharged officially before I did! LOL He exclusively breastfed in the nicu, and my milk came in on day 3.. (sort of, it's still coming in, but he's now puking from the quantity increase when he nurses and gets more than he expects. I expect to get engorged here over the next week.)

We got home - I slept, a lot. I took a shower, I feel better. I had really bad swelling in my legs, but they are finally getting better. Baby has a follow up for his bilirubin levels, and we have to monitor them pretty closely, but he's peeing and pooping a lot, so as long as he doesn't spike super high, he should clear it pretty quick I would think. 

We have different blood types, I'm A- and he turned out to be O positive! (which is funny, since his name is Oliver! all my other kids are A positive. So jaundice is something I'm used to dealing with, but he was tested and showed positive for Coombs (meaning our blood type mixed more than normal so he was at higher risk for severe jaundice.) 

So far, he's been pretty stable, but we are watching it closely just to make sure. His levels ARE up - but within an okay range now for 72+ hours old. We will just make sure they don't continue to go up and will start breaking down (which is normal during the first week.)

Other than that, we had to stop and get his tongue clipped on the way home, it's pretty bad so it helped, but he's still pretty cupped. The dentist said she did the initial release, and wants to see him back in 3-4 weeks to do a second treatment to release it more to give him full motility, but since it was such a deep posterier one, she wanted to give him a chance to tear the fibers after the initial clip and see what was left that still needed cut.

She's a pediatric dentist who's really good, and the follow ups are free.. (which is good, since the initial procedure was almost 600 out of pocket! LOL)

The downside to going to a dentist, instead of a medical provider... but my normal ENT who did my other two kids, has stopped doing babies in office. (I'm assuming it's because in a hospital setting, he can charge upwards of 4k for the "surgery" and in office, it's like a sub 200 dollar procedure....)

I refused to put my baby under general for something that's an easy fix... so I forked over the cash instead.

All in all, hes doing great and I'm healing well, and all that yoga ball/walking paid off and I just need to lose the water weight and then figure out how much weight is actually left to lose baby-wise. lol

Also - I'd been worried my youngest would be jealous - but the minute she saw him.. (okay, second minute, the first one was when he was born and she was like EWWWW YUCKY BABY - because he was covered in vernix and gross looking...) She's decided he's "her" baby and doesn't want any of her siblings to touch him. She's definitely decided she's a mama hen when it comes to protecting him. LOL

I was a little surprised, considering how jealous she gets of anyone sitting my lap... but she's decided he's okay to share.

As a side note : He was 6lbs, 10oz, 13 inch head and 20 inches long. he had a lot of edema; so when we left the hospital, he was 6lbs 2oz and they said to expect a little more weight loss for a day or two before he starts gaining it all back. They weren't concerned since he was so swollen at birth from all the fluids. (Both during labor and in the nicu before they let him eat by mouth.)

I'm not as sore as I was with my last vbac down there, so I'll take that as a win.

Last "official Belly pic at 37"

During Labor :

(Yes, me eating pzza during labor! LOL)

After Labor :

by on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Brooke on Feb. 7, 2018 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
It looks like you did great momma !! Congratulations!
by Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Congrats! My baby is 5 months old now.
by Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
What a little doll he is! Congrats!
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Aww 😍 He is so sweet and you did awesome! Congratulations mama!
by Emma on Feb. 7, 2018 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

it goes by so fast!!!

Quoting karyn9902:

Mobile Photo

Congrats! My baby is 5 months old now.

by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Great Job Emma! He is perfection ❤️
by Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
He is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing your story!
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
He's adorable! Congrats again ♡
by Emma on Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:01 PM

Thank you!!! :O

Quoting hurst0three: He's adorable! Congrats again ♡

by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 8:56 AM

Congratulations Emma. He looks sooo very perfect. Well done. Is that your tummy an hour after labour? Really?????? Really Really Really????????? lol you are blessed mummy. Enjoy every moment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)