Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is a good time span between kids?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM
  • 6 Replies

We just had a baby almost 5 weeks ago and we are getting a census on what others think of what is a good time between kids?

Celeste in Az

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
autumnsmommy02
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I think it depends on what you want and can handle. emotionally, financially and what you think would be best for you and your family. 

My first (dd) is autistic so I waited 5 yrs. before trying for another one. I had my son. They are 6 yrs. 3.5 mos. apart. However when my son was just 5 days from turning 1 .... I found out I was pregnant again. These 2 will be 20 mos. apart. 

Good luck & Congratulations on the new baby! :)

lovepink2925
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I say 3 yrs..Thats how far apart my kids are.Its so much easy when you space them out a couple yrs.

montanacat
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Because SD is DH's from his first marriage, SD and DD are just over 8 yrs apart. DD and the new one (whenever that is, hopefully soon!) will be a little over 4 yrs apart. I like this-makes me feel like DD will be old enough to both appreciate and understand that mommy will have to take care of baby, and I feel better knowing that she ws the "baby" for 4 years and got her "special attention" just like SD did when she was an only child. Financially it makes more sense to me to have the kids in stages, and not be doubling up on diapers and stuff 

ladysavage
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:46 AM

There's no definitive answer to that, just personal opinions.

For me - I wanted a 2 year age gap - so we started TTC#2 when our daughter turned 1.

She's almost 2 now and we still aren't pregnant - so that didn't work out, but not to worry - I'm sure they'll get along no matter the age difference.

Actually - I have 4 siblings and we range from a 1 year age gap, to a 13 year age gap - and we all get along equally.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers
th78
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:52 AM

IMO i think 3-4 yrs is an ideal timeframe in between children. my first two are in that timeframe. ds was a "surprise" so he is 5 yrs apart from the middle child. my hubby thinks this is a good frame too so when they are older and beginning to drive he can buy their cars and have them paid off by the time the next kid is ready to drive. LOL...

Stefanie83
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 9:28 AM

my son is 23 months old and i can't imagine having another kid before he was around 20 months old.  this could also be partly because he didn't start sleeping through the night until around then, and woke up frequently at night until around 17 months!  but not until a couple of months ago did i ever think i would like to have or could handle having another kid around the house!  so we are going to start TTC soon, and hopefully they will be about 3 years apart, but now that he is almost 2, i can say that 2-3 years would be a good gap for us. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)