Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just thought I would post our story.. Long

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2009 at 3:49 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 215 Total Views

Just thought I would post our story and maybe it will help ease someone's fears who are just starting out with their LO's journey.

My dd(Kenna) is now almost 2 1/2 yrs old. She is our 4th daughter. When she was born the doc at the hospital felt a click in her left hip and referred us to a orthopedic. So she saw him at 3 days old. The ortho said nothing is wrong and the hospital over reacts on things like this. So fast forward to 1 yr., she started walking on her b-day. I noticed her left foot was turned out and she kind of limped so I made an appointment with her peditrician. They took x-rays and said yes she has a dislocated hip. She referred us to a pediatric ortho in Springfield, IL. This ortho dh and I didn't really care for but he is supposed to be one of the best. We found this out in September of 07 but they couldn't do surgery until December 07. Well, she got sick and they couldn't do surgery so they rescheduled for the end of Feb. 08. Right after xmas we got a call they had a new pedi ortho there and she would do her surgery in 2 weeks. Anyone in the area who needs a pedi ortho I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Anjali Singh at St John's Pavillioin in Springfield, she is just awesome. So on Thursday, January 17th my dd had a pelvic and femoral osteotomy and a tendotomy and was placed in a spica cast for about 6 weeks. This surgery took a very long time, started about 8 am and got done about 2 pm. The hardest day was the next day. Kenna didn't have any paid medicine since surgery until Friday morning. We all think she was in so much paid she didn't know what to do with it so she slept.  That Friday she started having muscle spasm's and screaming in pain. Kenna cried, I cried and daddy almost cried too. Dh kept saying we shouldn't have done this to her(now he has changed his mind). Saturday morning she woke up and started smiling again and we went home that afternoon. Kenna was so amazing in that cast. Here is a pic of her the day after we got home so 4 days after surgery.

That crazy girl learned how to crawl and walk (hanging on the couch) in that thing! Her ortho still thinks that was amazing. We did have to do some things a little different for her (such as this high chair, it went everywhere with us) but really it was  piece of cake. I was so scared of that cast and how difficult life would be but it was nothing.

So the end of Febuary we went back to Springfield and she said to be prepared that she will come back out of surgery with yet another cast. About an hour after surgery started, Dr. Singh came out to the waiting room and said her hip was in it socket very tight and there was no need for another cast. She only needed to wear the brace at night! We were thrilled. She also said it would be a week or 2 before she would sit up on her own again and it would be a few months before she was walking. My amazing little girl was sitting up in the bath tub that night, she was also crawling about with the brace on that night. She went back to the ortho 1 month later and she was walking! The doctor couldn't believe it. She went back in May and there was no sign of limp or anything, which we were told would take at least a year to dissappear. At the end of July 08 she had her 3 surgery. She got the pins and metal plate removed. She wasn't even down for 24 hours. Dh and I were so worried she would fall and break her leg, we were constantly chasing her. She just went back this week for a check-up and Dr. Singh said "These are the patients that make me glad I am a doctor." I told her we were glad she is a doctor! She has done so much for Kenna.

My Kenna is now 2 1/2 and there is no sign, except for a scar, that she even had a dislocation. She runs, climbs, jumps just like every other little kid and I am so thankful to all the doc's and nurses for that. Kenna and I were just talking about her scar today, she says its her "special boo boo". If anyone who reads would like to ask any questions please feel free to message me. I love talking about our amazing journey and my amazing dd. I will end my story with a picture of Kenna today 1 year after her 1st surgery.

by on Jan. 8, 2009 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ladysylpher
by Member on Jan. 14, 2009 at 8:57 PM

This sounds a lot like my DDs story.  She is now 3 years old.

She was diagnosed with severe case of hip displaysia only on the Left hip at birth because she had all 5 risk factors for getting it. I have listed them before. 1. frist born 2. girl 3. breech 4. family history and 5. low amniotic fluid.

After 5-6 months of a pavlik harness that we knew would never work for her, we just let her be. They did her open reduction surgery with pelvic and femerol osteotomies in May 2007 when she was 18 months old.  It was a long day, the surgery took probably 5 hours.

She was in her cast for 3 months (12 weeks) during the summer 2007. It came off in August 2007 when she was 21 months old. She didn't walk until dec 07 at 25 months old.  In July 2008 she had the surgery to remove the pins/metal plate from her hip and was walking 2 days after.

Now shes 38 months old and doing wonderfully!!

I am a bottle feeding, vaccinating, non-CIO, ex-spanking, time-out married, non-smoking, SAHM, non-christian, non-cosleeping, Obama voting, pro-choice, pro-gay rights, 3 year old daughter loving Mamma!!

UlryMom
by Group Owner on Jan. 15, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Thank both of you for your postings!  This is the reason I started this group.  I hope it helps others going though this trying time. 

mahrmom
by on Jan. 17, 2009 at 1:45 AM

No problem. I remember when dd was first diagnosed and I hadn't ever heard of it before(although now I have found soooo many people who had or know someone who had/has). I felt so alone/scared for my little girl and couldn't find anyone to relate to what we were going to have to through. Even if it would help make 1 persons journey a little less scarey, it would be great.

Quoting UlryMom:

Thank both of you for your postings!  This is the reason I started this group.  I hope it helps others going though this trying time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)