Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old/ when to potty train boys??

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

When did everyone start potty training their DS's?  My son is really smart, and though he can't talk, I want to potty train him ASAP-  what are the signs you look for?  How do you know when to start??

Sarah Short

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AngelicaRenee
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:37 AM

I started my son at 19 months, he wasn't really talking yet. it's been 9 months now and we're still doing great! I have a journal on my page if you'd like to read it.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't listen to the people who say that boys can't be trained until they are 3 or 4, cause I know quite a few people who can prove that wrong. I have 4 older brothers who were potty trained at about 19 months as well. If you think your son is ready, go for it!

Mom2Just1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:46 AM

My husband and I choose to do child lead weaning because first 2 attempts at 2 and 2.5 years were terrible.  Our son is stubborn so he had to have control of this all on his own.  Reality is you cant force kids to potty train no matter what people will say.  My son came to us at 3 years and 2 months after my husband going for a walk and talking about the potty with him.  My son is smart and really listens to him so...after this walk my son said he was ready to use the potty.  2 weeks later we were completely trained day and night.  2 weeks only because it took that long to stay dry at night.  I never wanted it to be a negative experience with potty training.    No it was not 2 years or before 3 however I am happy with our experience with potty training.  He has done great and now he just takes himself to the bathroom and does not really need me in that area.  His experience has been so much bette than fellow moms I know from preschool. 

It is whenever he is ready and you can attempt and see what happens. 

I am the wife(6/7/2003)and mommy(5/14/2006)who loves her husband and son. I am a SAHM/college student, soon to be career mom, preschool sending, vaccinating, rule enforcing, non-cosleeping, non ERF/EH, put my marriage first, date night having, pro-choice,liberal and most of all I dont define myself soley based on being a wife/mom. I proudly admit I don't like being a SAHM, never going to be a submissive wife, and in my marriage both people get a equal say in all decisions made. No one is inferior to the other. I think and speak for myself.

cutestbabys
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:55 AM

I started my lil boy when he was 2 yrs 9months.I just got tired of changing two babies (with one on the way) my lil boy being the oldest one day I just told him no more diapers & I told him your going to the bathroom and in 3 days he learned

Kim24kids
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM

you can start sitting him on the potty and putting big boy pants on him.Read him books about using the potty.He will show U when he is ready .Make it fun for him.Give rewards such as M&M's every time he pees in the potty ..Encourage him to be a BIG BOY!

Good luck!  

Join us on The Toddler & Preschool Group! Group Mod

Join us onElementary School Kids - Group Mod

Zacobysmommy08
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:21 PM

my son is 4 months and we have already started his choose not are but if it was not his choose we were starting at 18 months he lets me know when he has to go most of the time by pulling on my leg and he sits on the potty every time me and his dad goes the bathroom he is very proud of him self when he goes on the potty he crys when he miss's the potty and goes in his pants kinda cute but sad to see but if u feel he is ready then he is ready

RedFoxx
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Hello. I started my son at 1 and 1/2. Pretty much I saw the signs of he was becoming a nudist... Didnt want a diaper on AT ALL. Or he'd get really cranky if his diaper was wet. He also started showing interest in the toilet. Even though sometimes that interest lead to a phone call to a plumber to get toys out.

But he is 2 now almost 2 1/2 and is completely potty trained. No nightly accidents so far, no accidents during car rides, and only 1 accident a month ago while playing outside in the snow. Other than that, he pretty much potty trained himself. All I had to do was show him where his potty business goes and he took control after that.

Quoting SarahShort:

When did everyone start potty training their DS's?  My son is really smart, and though he can't talk, I want to potty train him ASAP-  what are the signs you look for?  How do you know when to start??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)