Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the biggest challange?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM
  • 16 Replies

What do you think the biggest challenge/challenges young moms face?

Join us on The Toddler & Preschool Group! Group Mod

Join us onElementary School Kids - Group Mod

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Molly.
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:19 PM

I think the stereotyping is pretty hard. It's hard to get ahead when you're judged right out of the gate.

I also think it's hard to find balance. When my daughter was small, I was 19 and I wasn't married and I had a really hard time with either leaving her too much to go and be 19 or if I stayed home with her, I would miss out and be sad about that.

Kim24kids
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Quoting .Molly.:

I think the stereotyping is pretty hard. It's hard to get ahead when you're judged right out of the gate.

I also think it's hard to find balance. When my daughter was small, I was 19 and I wasn't married and I had a really hard time with either leaving her too much to go and be 19 or if I stayed home with her, I would miss out and be sad about that.

I agree!

youngmommy22289
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM

my biggest challenge so far is being judged with out people kknowing me.. also trying to go to college and have a toddler and being pregnant is quite difficult. but other then that i havent had to many challenges.

RedFoxx
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Quoting youngmommy22289:

my biggest challenge so far is being judged with out people kknowing me.. also trying to go to college and have a toddler and being pregnant is quite difficult. but other then that i havent had to many challenges.

I definately agree here!! Im 23weeks pregnant with baby #2 and have a 2 year old son. The judging is pretty crazy... I just posted a thing about it before... Having some trouble with family passing judgements and saying some pretty hurtful stuff.... But yes, balancing school work and children while dealing with peoples' criticism is my biggest challenge.

Miss_Magnolia.
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:49 PM

I find it hard that my friends from HS are almost done with collage and I can't afford to get started.

wifemother220
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:17 PM

I think that there is so many things young moms face everyday that are really hard. I was pregnant with my dd my senior year, i was 6 months pregnant when i graduate.  That  was extremely hard for me to face stares, and people judging me. But i grew out of that pretty quick. Then there is growing up faster then you really want. Being a young mom requires you to grow up faster then other moms do.

luvmyboysjj
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM

I'm 19 with a 25mo old and a 9mo old. It was really hard in high school since i had 2 kids my senior year for the last 2 months so i was pretty much pregnant the last 2yrs of high school. I'd have to say that it was hard getting judged not only by older moms but also teen moms in the same situation. They always want to judge you if they think they are a better mom than you. Right now im a stay at hom mom and i NEVER get to go out with friends. I havent been able to be a teenager since i was 16. Im not complaining i love my kids to death but it would be nice to be able to go out once and a while with some girlfriends but its really hard to find a responsible babysitter that wont cost too much and especially for 2 kids. Im worried about them constantly when im not around them. so the only people i can leave them with are my husband, my mom, and my grandma. Being a teen mom in general is challenging but i wouldnt change it for the world!

MariaDeLaLuz
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 2:23 AM

I think one of the toughest challenge a new young mom makes is trying to be a mom but make it into the adult world at the same time. By this I mean those who are still trying to finish high school, get their first job, get their first place. I guess you could say that I am directing the young part to the teen years. To me it seemed like the last couple of high school years was used to establish who you are and what your future is going to be career wise and and educational wise. I got pregnany during my senior year and I lost that time. I wasn't able to plan like my friends for trips, universities, and all the other things. I had to try to establish adulthood with the stress of the pregnancy and complications. Don't get me wrong I love my kids and my life, but it would have been nice also to be able to go the original path I had instead of instant family.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

BAMBAMmommy
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:40 AM

The biggest challenge for me is overcoming my past. My son's father was a manipulative abusive asshole. A month after I had our son we got evicted form our apartment because he was spending rent money on alcohol and clothes for himself. We moved in with his parents for a month and then they helped us move to Colorado to live with my parents. Two months after we moved in with my parents they found a way to help me get out of the relationship and we kicked him out and the relationship was over.

That left me a single mom, single income, paying for daycare, trying to raise my son. It was hard and daycare in this area is astronomically priced. I ended up having to quit my job because every cent of my paycheck was going towards paying for daycare. So I ended up being a stay at home mom, living with my parents.

I work now, it's a full time job with part time pay, I watch a little boy during the day and get $125 a week. It's definitely NOT enough to get my own place on.

I have been living with my parents for a little over a year now and I am so desperate to get my own place. I have this inner need to be an adult, and to provide for my son by myself, and to have my own place with my own space, and so Braedan can have his own space.

I'm still working on it though. I have to crawl out of the debt my ex helped me get into. I'm in a pretty good money situation now and the plan is to move out in June. I have a wonderful boyfriend who I have been dating for almost a year and we plan to get a place together. I'm going to start applying for jobs in that area when it gets closer (he lives an hour away in a much larger town) and I know things are going to work out (staying positive!).

And staying positive is exactly how I got where I am right now. I could have been doom-and-gloom "i'll never be able to be on my own again" blah blah blah but I stayed positive. And I think that's the most important thing, as long as you are positive about your struggles they WILL get better :)

Kim24kids
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Quoting youngmommy22289:

Yes very challanging but it will make you stronger=)
Good Luck and Congrats on the baby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)