• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Debate Of The Week ~ January 25 - January 31

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:46 AM
  • 55 Replies

Should marijuana be legalized? Why or why not?

What do you think about it's use for medical purposes?

Begin!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mzmeli89
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Yes, I believe it should be legalized. It is proven that marijuana is not addicting and is not as harmful as for example-  cigarettes, (which is legalized!) Cigarettes have so many poisons and random chemicals in them that can cause cancer and a number of other things. The most marijuana does is effects your mind state for the time being....But so does alcohol...and even cigarettes can give you that "buzz" if you've smoken too many....I think our government is a little stupid to legalize cigarettes and alcohol- which are equally- if not even WORSE than marijuana.....but say that marijuana is so bad. You never really hear someone say, someone overdosed on marijuana ...but you do here people talk a ton about alcohol and cigarettes killing a family member. I just think its something people need to read up on before they jump to the gun and just say marijuana is bad. Like I said, what about alcohol and cigarettes? Seems pretty much the same to me.

CafeMom Tickers
angelizedsinz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I'm against legalizing it. If someone drinks to much and gets pulled over, we can test them to see if they have had to much alcohol. Right now, there's no way to do that with pot. We have enough idiots who are too irresponsible to not drink and drive, and it would be a lot worse if they could get high as well. Cigarettes are addictive, but they don't affect u the way that pot and alcohol do. I mean u can have a cigarette and then drive a car without feeling any type of inebriation.

Missyin love

Optimism is a choice....cynicism isn't smarter, just safer.

LilGina
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:20 PM

are you serious you think its not addicting lol I know plenty of ppl who are addicted and you can not compare it to cigarettes because ciggs don't alter your mind we already have enough probs with drinking and driving this will just be another easy way for ppl to ruin their life's and kill other ppl

Quoting mzmeli89:

Yes, I believe it should be legalized. It is proven that marijuana is not addicting and is not as harmful as for example-  cigarettes, (which is legalized!) Cigarettes have so many poisons and random chemicals in them that can cause cancer and a number of other things. The most marijuana does is effects your mind state for the time being....But so does alcohol...and even cigarettes can give you that "buzz" if you've smoken too many....I think our government is a little stupid to legalize cigarettes and alcohol- which are equally- if not even WORSE than marijuana.....but say that marijuana is so bad. You never really hear someone say, someone overdosed on marijuana ...but you do here people talk a ton about alcohol and cigarettes killing a family member. I just think its something people need to read up on before they jump to the gun and just say marijuana is bad. Like I said, what about alcohol and cigarettes? Seems pretty much the same to me.

C_Kight
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:22 PM

No - I agree w/ this post

Quoting angelizedsinz:

I'm against legalizing it. If someone drinks to much and gets pulled over, we can test them to see if they have had to much alcohol. Right now, there's no way to do that with pot. We have enough idiots who are too irresponsible to not drink and drive, and it would be a lot worse if they could get high as well. Cigarettes are addictive, but they don't affect u the way that pot and alcohol do. I mean u can have a cigarette and then drive a car without feeling any type of inebriation.

Randi02
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I'm for legalizing it.

Where I live, it's sold at cafes in baking... You can buy bongs, pipes, papers and other paraphernalia etc. at most gas stations, tattoo shops and boutiques. You can grow enough for personal use, and it's more acceptable to smoke a joint in public than it is to smoke a cigarette (it's actually illegal to smoke in public, unless it's in a designated area)

Alcohol is much worse. Many professional, upstanding citizens have the occasional smoke, just like the occasional drink. They function, just do it to relax and I don't see a problem with it. I personally haven't done it in 4 years because I have been pregnant or breastfeeding for that time.

Oh, and to the person who said there's no roadside test for it. Yes there is. They DO have rapid oral drug testing strips that test for THC, as well as 5 or 6 others such as cocaine etc.

If they legalize it, that would mean it would be better regulated (not laced with god knows what!) and it would be taxed.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

BAMBAMmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Yes, marijuana can kill you.

You can still get lung cancer, and bladder cancer, and all kinds of cancer (wow believe it or not). The cause is obvious, your lungs weren't made to inhale any kind of smoke (whether it be cigarettes, pot, heroine, crack, etc) on a regular basis. Breathing in a cloud of campfire smoke ever now and then on accident isn't going to kill you, but you'r not sucking it in on a daily basis are you?

Just like any other drug out there marijuana is dangerous and can be VERY dangerous. By this I mean buying some that claims to be "clean" but is in fact, laced with something very dangerous.

I also agree that there is no way to test for marijuana on the spot like there is for alcohol. If one of my family members or my son were killed in a car accident by someone who was high from legalized marijuana I would be LIVID.

I'll admit that I have been high before, and I HATE it. I did it via peer pressure in high school and in my party stage when I moved out on my own (this was all wayyy before I had my son). It made me feel like I couldn't breathe, everything slowed down, the room spun. I hated it, and you can't tell me that people can function normally in that state.

In the state of Colorado we already have legalized marijuana. The other day the city of Denver got 1800 applications for marijuana dispensaries in ONE DAY. 1800. Do you really want POT all over the place? There are doctors here who will write you a prescription for marijuana with no legit medical reason, as long as you pay them $200. I think marijuana dirties society, sorry that's just my opinion. Especially living here, where it is legal, i think that if they are going to legalize it as a medical drug, it needs to only be sold in pharmacies by licensed pharmacists. Ever other drug out there is. There is also an age limit to cigarettes and for alcohol, and even for many pain killers out there, yet no one talks about an age limit for pot.

In my personal and strong opinion I think there are plenty of other poisons out there for you to feel high on, legalized marijuana is just a big fat BOO-HOO because people are tired of getting in trouble for it. What's next, legalized heroine?? Why don't we just legalize murder?

BAMBAMmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM

The point she, and I, were trying to make is that in order for them to even DISTRIBUTE the test strip for the drug they would have to have probable cause. There are many signs of marijuana intoxication. And the obvious (bloodshot eyes, uncoordination, etc) can be attributed to any number of things. The legality of administering the test and having probable cause is iffy.

Quoting Randi02:

I'm for legalizing it.

Where I live, it's sold at cafes in baking... You can buy bongs, pipes, papers and other paraphernalia etc. at most gas stations, tattoo shops and boutiques. You can grow enough for personal use, and it's more acceptable to smoke a joint in public than it is to smoke a cigarette (it's actually illegal to smoke in public, unless it's in a designated area)

Alcohol is much worse. Many professional, upstanding citizens have the occasional smoke, just like the occasional drink. They function, just do it to relax and I don't see a problem with it. I personally haven't done it in 4 years because I have been pregnant or breastfeeding for that time.

Oh, and to the person who said there's no roadside test for it. Yes there is. They DO have rapid oral drug testing strips that test for THC, as well as 5 or 6 others such as cocaine etc.

If they legalize it, that would mean it would be better regulated (not laced with god knows what!) and it would be taxed.

mamajen07
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I am one that does believe it should be legalized, for MEDICINAL purposes only. I think anyone can get addicted to anything, so just because one person didn't get addicted doesn't mean the next person won't. Addictions are VERY hard to kick! I also don't see how it would be any worse than the prescription medications for pain, that you hear of MANY people becoming addicted to, and as a result, abusing.

That said, I've only smoked weed a handful of times, I didn't like it, at all. Gave me awful spins! =)

Randi02
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Well, I don't live in the US.

Here, our officers carry them around in their vehicles. If they have any reason to think you might be impaired, they can do a breathalyzer and/or these strips. That's all it takes.

Quoting BAMBAMmommy:

The point she, and I, were trying to make is that in order for them to even DISTRIBUTE the test strip for the drug they would have to have probable cause. There are many signs of marijuana intoxication. And the obvious (bloodshot eyes, uncoordination, etc) can be attributed to any number of things. The legality of administering the test and having probable cause is iffy.

Quoting Randi02:

I'm for legalizing it.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

mamajen07
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Quoting mzmeli89:

re: cigarettes, i've actually found the opposite. i started smoking cigs years ago, for the buzz. then, got hooked, and the buzz went away. =(

i do agree with you that alochol is just as bad, but, like i said in my other post, different people can get addicted to anything, pot included!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)