Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

:'(

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:34 PM
  • 5 Replies

My rat died yesterday. I think the killer is a very contagious rat disease. Now my whole colony is in danger. My poor little Comrades..........

I am a COMMUNIST, Modest, Attatchment Parenting, Urban homesteading, Green Living, Young Mama, Submissive Wife, Devoted my my family.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mamajen07
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:55 PM

=( awe. how many rats do you have?

Emerald_storm01
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Aww that's too bad!!

pisces_chick89
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:10 PM

as a fellow rat owner..I'm so sorry..whats wrong?

do you have a goosemoose account..the rat forum there as very knowledgeable owners...

how lage is your colony

_Majka_
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I have 2 now. I lost my hairless last year and just lost a small silky dwarf yesterday. :(

garoul17
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Do you know what it's infected with? I've got six rats of my own, but one of them was an adopted lab rat from the facility I used to work at; so the biggest concern with them I have is one of them getting a bad respiratory infection, which can easily be taken care of by some medicine prescribed by my vet.

Was the animal showing any symptoms before it died? Hunched posture? Excessive porphyrin build up around the eyes or on the coat? Extreme lethargy with dehydration and lack of appetite? Lots of scratching (a sign of excessive mites, taken care of by a simple mite-dust you can also get fro myour vet)? Head tilting or abnormal circling (signs of ear infections)? These are some things you should really watch out for with the rest of the colony.

I would strongly suggest taking your babies to the vet and getting them tested for some common sicknesses like Sialodacryoadenitis (SDA). Just if you do, keep in mind most of the pet-store strains will have a history of these kinds of diseases and most of them do not flare up, but some do. You can also have your dead one necropsy'd if you're extremely concerned (incase nothing shows up on your survivors) to test for what may have kill it. Alot of what does kill is preventable, if you take the right course of action.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)