Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food for thought...My Baby Can Read.

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:22 AM
  • 23 Replies

So my SIL (a second-grade teacher) and I were talking last night, and we started talking about our opinions on early academics, and she told me that in her experience as a teacher, the children whose parents used things like My Baby Can Read with them, and subsequently would brag about how their child could read SO early, were the ones who needed the most help in reading and spelling. She said it was actually QUITE an obvious correlation, and the amount of help required for a lot of them was HUGE.

The problem with My Baby Can Read and other "early reader" programs is that they teach nothing about phonics, "true" reading, spelling, etc. They simply teach patterns. Sure, you show a child an arrangement of words with a picture or a vocalization of the sound enough times, of course they're going to recognize it.

But it DOESN'T teach them to read, and it very likely handicaps them later on.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Johns_Mommy_03
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Thx for telling us this. i was going to buy it for my son. But i might have to re think that now

kimmaylove013
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Makes me glad I never tried this, I was very interested but IMO they ask for way too much money for something you really already do with your kids... I would rather take him outside and point at a real tree, then show him a picture of one... I think real life interaction with things teaches them better. My son is (will be 3 next month) and speaks better then  is 6 year old cousin. better phonics and sentence structure, his cousin was one of those hands off learning from flash cards kind of kids.

thanks for the insite =]

love_my_baby_
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:35 AM

THANK YOU!! My MIL bought this for us while I was pregnant and keeps asking if we are using it. I have never been comfortable with it I don't want to push her and force her to learn things earlier than normal. I will def not use it now.

marissaj125
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:37 AM

yes, its horrible. and it takes alot of time too. its a waste of time and good brain dev. becuz the baby isnt spending time learning about others things.

MamaToLucas
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Exactly! They will spend enough time in classrooms in their lives...why take away more of childhood?

Quoting kimmaylove013:

Makes me glad I never tried this, I was very interested but IMO they ask for way too much money for something you really already do with your kids... I would rather take him outside and point at a real tree, then show him a picture of one... I think real life interaction with things teaches them better. My son is (will be 3 next month) and speaks better then  is 6 year old cousin. better phonics and sentence structure, his cousin was one of those hands off learning from flash cards kind of kids.

thanks for the insite =]

.Molly.
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I also just really don't get why people are so over eager to have their child meet milestones!

MamaToLucas
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:38 AM

It's not even like reading by age 2 is a real milestone, you know?

I just feel sad for all the kids who don't get to enjoy their toddler/preschool years as much. And I'm sure someone will say "But my baby LOVES learning!" Sure, your baby loves learning. But how much more would he/she love it if it were just naturally incorporated into playtime?

.Molly.
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:39 AM

That's what I mean. People want their kids to hit the milestone of reading sooo badly that they push for it to happen before it's time. It happens a lot with things like feeding, car seats, walking, etc.

LilGina
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:39 AM

i wanted to get this because my 14 month old still isnt talking I was hoping it would give her a boost but i will prolley never spend the 200 on it anyway I am very cheap lol

MamaToLucas
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Your mom clearly pushed for you to reach your awesomeness milestone, didn't she?

Quoting .Molly.:

That's what I mean. People want their kids to hit the milestone of reading sooo badly that they push for it to happen before it's time. It happens a lot with things like feeding, car seats, walking, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)