Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do with DD while delivering (PIOG)

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:15 AM
  • 18 Replies
Here's my dilemma. DD was my first and I had my mom and DH in the room the whole time I was in labor (7 hours) and when I delivered. I loved having both their support. This time DD will be almost 3 1/2. I'm not sure what to do with her. I want both my mom and DH in the room while in labor and deliver, but then I have no one to watch DD. I don't trust my sister or my mom's boyfriend enough to leave her with them and I don't know if she would be comfortable with one of my aunts since she doesn't see them very much. My dad or his family are not at all in the picture. I've contemplated leaving her with Tim's mom (who I adore) but she already has a 4 y/o with a busy schedule and lives an hour away. Should I suck it up and just let DD stay home with my mom? Or try my hardest to find someone to watch her? Would it be a good idea to let her stay in the room while I'm in labor and just have her and my mom leave when I deliver? I don't know if the hospital allows that or not, I'll have to look it up. BTW, I'm due end of July. Thanks in advance!

Pregnancy%20ticker

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlmkjw
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I dont know what to tell you. I had worked out for my father to watch my son when i went into labor with my baby...but the day of he came up with excuses to no end. Maybe interview some babysittiers now. Get comfortable with someone...maybe even let them babysit the one you have now. By the time baby comes, youll be okay with leaving your oldest with this person, but make sure up front they know the situation and that they would be "on call" those last few weeks.

LilGina
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:20 AM

My situation sucked when i had my DD Me my hubby and son live in a diff state than all our family so we had no babysitter the hospital doesn't allow kids in the room for deliver so I had to develier by myself and then they came in after I delivered it was sad anyway sorry for rambling lol no kids are not allowed while you deliver and well they are while your laboring that can be along long time and shell prolley get very restless very fast good luck

.Molly.
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:20 AM

You should consider getting a doula!

mlmkjw
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Quoting LilGina:

My situation sucked when i had my DD Me my hubby and son live in a diff state than all our family so we had no babysitter the hospital doesn't allow kids in the room for deliver so I had to develier by myself and then they came in after I delivered it was sad anyway sorry for rambling lol no kids are not allowed while you deliver and well they are while your laboring that can be along long time and shell prolley get very restless very fast good luck

My daughter was allowed to be in the room while i delivered. You have to check with the hospital you'll have your baby at for their policies.

Group Owner of the groups  Wishin' I Could Bitch Slap Them and The Not-So-Perfect

BrooklynnsMomy
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:24 AM

brooklynn will be 3 in april and i just had colton almost 5 weeks ago...i had my pastor and his wife watch brooklynn for me, they have a 5 year old, 8 year old and 17 year old. my pastors wife was in the room with me until i went in for my c-section. if i would have had him natural she would have been in there as well, along with my husband. my paretns live in germany righ tnow so my mom couldnt be there. well, i would NOT reccommend having your daughter in the room with you, you will be in pain and you dont want her to asociate her new sibling with giving you pain. now i think if she were like 6 or 7 maybe then but at 3 she is sitll too little to understand the concept of babies i would think. i would def try to find someone to watch her, im sure your mom is a great help in the delievery room, BUT i would want my child to be with someone i feel most comfortable with and my mom would be that person. i hope you figure something out good luck

LilGina
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:24 AM

humm ok yea i guess it goes on a haospital to hospital basis cause i know i pulled out the tears and everything they still said no lol

Quoting mlmkjw:

Quoting LilGina:

My daughter was allowed to be in the room while i delivered. You have to check with the hospital you'll have your baby at for their policies.

lextjmom0709
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:28 AM

my dd was supposed to be in the room with me when i had my son but at the last min the dr changed and i had a sheculded c section

SaraZoey
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Thanks for the quick responses! I am leaning towards either asking my MIL or having my mom just watch Zoey at our house. I looked it up and it says only children over 4 can be in the labor and delivery room with both their pediatrician's and the delivering OBGYN's permission, so that's out. Anyone else feel free to chip in with their dilemma's/stories, maybe we can help someone else!

Pregnancy%20ticker

DDTSMommy
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Is a child birth something you want to expose your child to? Are YOU and your husband comfortable with that? Would you rahter your mom or husband in the room? I wouldn't leave my child with a new person especially not family while I went into a siutation like yours. If she atleast knows one of your aunts or wahtever i'd choose that over a babysitter, that u have to pay....

erika_wright
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:17 PM

well i would see if tim's mom is up for it. i know how much my mom wants to be there when i ave this baby (she drove 4 hours to be there w dd). if his mom can do it then that would probably be a good solution.

im trying to figure out what to do w my dd who will be 2 1/2 when i deliver. my oldest sister is VERY insistent that she come stay w her. but she has a 4yo and works fulltime so i do see how that would work. plus i REALLY dont like her husband (long story) and dont want him anywhere near my kids. my other sister is moving back here in a few weeks andwill be living at my moms so i think i may have dd stay there w her and my nieces bc she is very comfotable there, and then my parents will be there once i deliver (they liveabout 15 min from the hospital we are going to).

im really lucky though. i have ALL my family in town. both sets of my grndparents, my inlaws and my parents, 5 siblings 6 aunts and uncles and the list goes on. so i will have SOMEONE to take her lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)