Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Do you get frustrated with your baby?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 3:21 PM
  • 56 Replies

For the past week my daughter has been doing this 'crying thing' where when I lay down with her in my arms to get some rest she will start crying and want me to sit up with her. As soon as I sit up she will stop crying and go to sleep and she actually peeks to see if I'm still sitting up it seems because when I slowly lay down she will open her eyes and look around and notice that I'm laying down and will cry. Then I sit up again and she will stop. Then I get so frustrated because I can't get comfy. Then when I put some pillows behind me to sit up with her comfortablly in the bed to sleep she will cry then and want me to lay down and cry till I lay down with her on my chest.

I think she's very smart for a newborn and she will grab on extra hard to me when I'm trying to put her down and won't let go. I have to like pry her hands off my shirt sometimes. She is 7 weeks old. Has anyone been through this? Then she slides herself up all the way to my face when she is on my chest at times and will start crying extra loud and pinch onto my face. It's so many things she does...I love her so much though and sometimes it's funny but sometimes it makes me cry because I'm so tired and irritated because of no sleep.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babie113
by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 3:26 PM

she might have a ear infection or tummy problems if she crys when you lay her down or shes just being a clingy newborn pretty normal i would say  though my baby wasn't like that .

does she do this when you put her in her crib or bassinet ??

p.s not a good idea to fall asleep with her in your arms  you might suffocate her ..not being mean to you or anything but some ppl dont know these things .

do i get frustrated at my baby oh yes all the time even more so now hes almost 9 months old and walking and into everything

oh yeah my babys way of telling me hes hungry was by crying and worming upto my face and sucking on my nose lol

Melissa0741
by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Well I think HER needs are more important than yours right now. Not to be rude. I taught my son to sleep in his bassinet around 2 weeks so he wouldn't get used to sleeping in my arms all the time.

Are you consistant? Does she have a sleeping schedule? Maybe she needs something if she's awake and crying....

penguinbabe44
by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I co-sleep with her and she doesn't have an ear infection I don't think. Her doctor would have told me. I fall asleep with her all the time...I don't put her in a position in my arms that she will suffocate. I hold her so that she has plenty of space to breathe. But anyway she may just be clingy...

Quoting babie113:

she might have a ear infection or tummy problems if she crys when you lay her down or shes just being a clingy newborn pretty normal i would say  though my baby wasn't like that .

does she do this when you put her in her crib or bassinet ??

p.s not a good idea to fall asleep with her in your arms  you might suffocate her ..not being mean to you or anything but some ppl dont know these things .

do i get frustrated at my baby oh yes all the time even more so now hes almost 9 months old and walking and into everything

CafeMom Tickers
EHolman
by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 3:34 PM

my son did the same thing when he was about 7 weeks he got sick they thought maybe it was rsv but didn;t want to do the test because it can make them sicker.... anyways my husband knew how exhausting it was espically since we have 4 other children he bought me a new snoogle as a suprise (our puppy chewed up the first one ugh) so the baby and i could both me comfy... it was a life saver. i love that thing they are like 30 bucks but i'd say worth way more!!

penguinbabe44
by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I know HER needs are more imporant but how the hell am I gonna meet all her needs if I don't even get an hour of sleep. I managed to get some this morning because she was really tired. But I wake up every 2 and half hours with my alarm to feed her and I know what she wants when she's crying. I will walk around and hold her and she will stop. It's just that when I'm extremely tired and I'm nodding off and she'll start up I'll be so frustrated but I still get up and take care of her. But moms needs are important too...

If mom doesn't take care of herself just even a little...how will she take care of baby's needs...huh?

Quoting Melissa0741:

Well I think HER needs are more important than yours right now. Not to be rude. I taught my son to sleep in his bassinet around 2 weeks so he wouldn't get used to sleeping in my arms all the time.

Are you consistant? Does she have a sleeping schedule? Maybe she needs something if she's awake and crying....

CafeMom Tickers
Mandiii04
by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 3:45 PM

When my sister was born, my little brother got into the habit of walking around with her... she started falling asleep that way and she KNEW when you tried to sit down.... and she would start screaming.  My son.... when he was first born I co-slept with him.... not by choice though... it was the only way i could get him to sleep.  Then I could catch a few Z's.  You need to psych yourself up for a week or so of constant crying if you want to change her habits.  Start putting her in her crib, or bassinet.... and comfort her when she cries, but dont pick her up.... you'll be exhausted as hell... but it should get her sleeping without the need to be held.    Perhaps try using her carseat.  I used my sons carseat for a WHILE when he was born, rather than a crib. It was snuggier.  I just put a thicker blanket over the straps and buckles and he slept quite well.  Have you tried to swaddle her?  Perhaps she prefers to be warm and snug.  My son hated his crib because when I layed him down, it was cold and he always unwrapped himself.  Hence the carseat.  Maybe try putting a towel in the dryer for a few and lying it in the crib until the blankets are nice and warm, and then lay her in there.    I hope this helps.

Mandiii04
by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Quoting Melissa0741:

I agree that the baby's need are important... but what good can a mother be to her child if she wants to beat her own head against a wall from lack of sleep?  I remember crying every night for a solid week because i was such a light sleeper after my son was born... so i didnt get any sleep... once I fell asleep he would wake up to be fed or changed.... then once i finally started to fall asleep again, it was morning and he was up. 

A mothers mood affects her newborn a LOT.  So if mom is frustrated because she can't get sleep.... then baby wont be happy.  It's a viscious cycle.  And it ends when mom can get a little sleep.

Please, click here or here.

A young girl is missing, and by clicking the links above you could be the one who knows where she is... and you dont even know it...

MrsNewman
by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 3:52 PM

My son used to be like that, wasn't until about 10 months when I started letting him cry it out ... up until that point I just put up with it and caught as much sleep as I could when he would sleep, and that was hardly ever. Ugh, I don't miss those days! Do you have anyone who can watch her an hr or two a day so you can get some much needed sleep?

AirborneWifee
by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 3:56 PM

it doesnt matter if you *think* she'll be ok...my best friends baby girl was suffocated on accident...just food for thought not trying to be mean AT ALL. do you sleep with her when she sleeps? how old is she? do you do colic tablets? gripe water?? those helped with us..what about keeping her tummy covered? babies get gas very easily and keeping their lil tummys wrapped with a small recieving blanket helps. good luck mama..i had colicy girls...

mamajen07
by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 4:02 PM

she's probably just a lil clingy! totally normal, and yes it's totally normal to get frustrated with them =)

dd was up EVERY ONE HOUR for the first few months...so yes, i lost my cool more than once - i always screamed into a pillow or beat a pillow up to help ease the frustration level! =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN